Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Killed my i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Killed my i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennetski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Killed my i3 Reply with quote

I somehow have completely wiped my micro SD card, does anyone know how to recover it, every time i turn on now it tells me to use the provided PC software to load maps. I have tried everything imaginable to sort it out including using map source software but to no avail. My Garmin didnt come with any software. Any Ideas ??
Wildie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try undelete.
bennetski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No can do, there is basically nothing on the micro sd card and no way of recovering what was there. I can load maps back on to the card but it doesnt show up correctly on the GPS and there is no search facility for anywhere.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may get it back .. http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

edit : http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Dave
bennetski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope tried various recovery tools but to no avail, is there anyway of downloading the original software ??
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd contact garmin (phone will be better than email) as to be honest they are the only ones who can help.

it's not your fault they don't supply an installation disc, is it? let them sort it.

MaFt

ps - recovery tools don't work on flash memory. they only work on hard drives / floppys as the data is not actually removed, the operating system just marks sectors on the drive as 'being available to write to'
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Upgrade the maps! Reply with quote

I have a Garmin I3, and before I upgraded the maps I purchased a second Micro SD card, JIC.

As long as you've registered the unit on the MyGarmin page you should still have your 25 Character Unlock code to to unlock the same version maps. Do you know if you had version 8 or 9 (I think all the SD card units have v8).

You could also pay for upgraded maps to get an unlock code for the V9 maps. They usually send the DVD out free of charge.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade the maps! Reply with quote

adrian_anastas wrote:
Do you know if you had version 8 or 9 (I think all the SD card units have v8).

just to be picky ;) the original i3's shipped with v7 on a micro-sd card
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

ps - recovery tools don't work on flash memory. they only work on hard drives / floppys as the data is not actually removed, the operating system just marks sectors on the drive as 'being available to write to'

Not true! SanDisk Extreme III SD cards come with recovery software that works with Falsh memory but not with hard or floppy discs. However, the chance of recovery is considerably reduced if you have done any writing to the card as some of the "deleted" sectors (actually sectors marked as available for writing to) may well have been written over. The flash memory recovery software effectively rebuilds the file sector index and will I think give new names to the files that it finds complete.
bennetski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to download the V8 version which I believe my Garmin came with and I still have the unlock code and I was unable to write it to the Micro SD card but it just hasnt seemed to sort the problem. Now when I turn the Garmin on it asks me to use the original software to connect my Garmin to the PC. I can by pass this by holding the left arrow key. Now when I go into menu it has changed, there is no postcode search and when I view maps it doesnt show anything on the screen unless i zoom right out and it shows main roads only. Its all over the place, very wierd.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

Not true! SanDisk Extreme III SD cards come with recovery software that works with Falsh memory but not with hard or floppy discs...

cheers for that Smile learn something new every day!

bennetski wrote:

I have been able to download the V8 version... ...but it just hasnt seemed to sort the problem.

downloading and trying to install dodgy software won't help it. seriously, contact garmin! they're very helpful and could have had it sorted by now!

MaFt
bennetski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I contacted garmin and they told me that I have to send it back and it will cost me about £30 to get them to reload the software ! There must be a way to do it for free otherwise im off to get a navman
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phone them again and ask if they will waiver the charge seeing as they choose not to send out back up discs with their items.

still, £30 isn't much compared to a new unit

MaFt
bennetski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok found a sort of solution, I downloaded metroguide onto mapsource which doesnt need activating and transfered the maps onto my garmin and it worked. I have lost the ability to do postcode searches but I can manually enter address's. I havent tested it yet but so far so good

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: