Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 720's Start Shipping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 720's Start Shipping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
pete1336 wrote:
Strangely, when I first turned mine on (albeit before a full charge) it did go into that setup loop and I#ve no idea what I did to get it out of it but it was fine after a while. Worried me for a few mins though, I thought the supplier had sent me a duff unit..it was toucn and go for a bit 8O
One of the V6 versions did that also, when disconnected from the PC. I think it was V6.150.

It seemed that it wanted to re-boot 3 or 4 times and then it was OK.

Whatever!! But it frightened the doings out of me. Angry

amjidkhan All I'll say about the TT cameras is that they are there. All the ones I passed today were in the correct locations. But that was only about 4 cameras (225 miles into Wales and back) and of course, not a single mobile. Weedy squeek for warning (to my pensioner's ears), not much distance, perhaps 300yds? There's no chance I'll be using theirs instead of the pgpsw ones - they are only still on the 720 because I haven't yet got round to throwing them out and putting pgpsw ones in their place (not urgent - I've got pgpsw cameras on my two other GO devices!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
KGrue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone with a 720 had problems with it losing it's settings?

I think it is when I update my 720 using Home, but I can't be sure. It's happened at least a couple of times now; pairing settings with my mobile lost, short-cut menu settings lost, etc., etc.

I am going to see if it does it if I don't connect to Home to see if that is the cause. If it still does it, I may have a faulty unit, although it could be because V7 is so new it has a few bugs in.

Kenny
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN,

I'm glad it arrived, and you had a chance to go for a reasonable trip with it on the first day !

At least this set up failure was not just me Wink

I am very impressed by the unit, I really like the FM transmitter, and use it for music, with the instructions from the internal, so that I can turn the radio off, or change station and not have to fiddle with the 720.

Interesting thing happen tonight coming home.
The home location is near home so I'm always to to turn around as I get close to the house. Well tonight I had the sound off (someone else in the car to talk to) so no instructions until "turn around when available" 8O

Cheers
Paul
Daaave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a 720 from the Currys.Digital shop in Bristol today (Cribbs Causeway). They said that they had "loads" in stock... :D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBt wrote:
I really like the FM transmitter, and use it for music, with the instructions from the internal, so that I can turn the radio off, or change station and not have to fiddle with the 720.

Damn!! Now I'm going to have to RTFM to try and find out what the heck you're talking about. 8O I wonder if ...
I can push the instructions through the vehicle loudspeakers, silencing the radio when they are spoken, but getting radio when there are no navigation instructions or cameras warnings, PLUS on top of that, getting my handsfree calls routed through the vehicle speakers too. That would be good. It's probably not possible.

Should I RTFM or will somebody come on here and tell me that at least some of it is possible and how to do it?? Where's that post of Darren's linking to the online manual?

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaave wrote:
I picked up a 720 from the Currys.Digital shop in Bristol today (Cribbs Causeway). They said that they had "loads" in stock... :D
GRRRRRRR!!! Now you're going to make my life a worse nightmare driving past Cribbs Causeway. It's bad enough normally, but if you've started a rush to Currys I'll be looking to do you a mischief! Stop it!

PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Should I RTFM

Don't give in just yet Laughing

Go to page 6 of 8 of the preferences, and choose "speaker preferences".
You can then, firstly select how you want the navigation instructions outputed, I have chosen internal speaker, so that it is always there. Then select how you want the music outputed, here I have chosen the FM transmitter. This gives the following advantages, I can adjust the volume independent of the instructions, I can turn it off with one push of the on off button. I am using it for podcasts (does this make it sound like I've been using it for years Smile )

I tried tuning the FM transmitter to Radio 4 (middle aged or what :P ) but the 720 blocked the signal, and I could not hear Radio 4 only the 720.

Does this help you get started.

Cheers
Paul
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGrue wrote:
Has anyone with a 720 had problems with it losing it's settings?
Could this be a problem with the Read Only setting on the CFG File. That has been the problem previously.

Only a shot in the dark.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I wonder if ...
I can push the instructions through the vehicle loudspeakers, silencing the radio when they are spoken, but getting radio when there are no navigation instructions or cameras warnings,

Nope, either or I'm afraid.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I wonder if ...
I can push the instructions through the vehicle loudspeakers, silencing the radio when they are spoken, but getting radio when there are no navigation instructions or cameras warnings, PLUS on top of that, getting my handsfree calls routed through the vehicle speakers too. That would be good. It's probably not possible.

One way of achieving something close to this would be to connect the audio output on the 720 (is there one?) to an AUX input on your car stereo (some newer cars have this feature). This way you can listen to mp3 music, navigation instructions and route your phone calls through your car stereo at the same time as you're receiving traffic reports and news broadcasts via RDS interrupts (if enabled on your car radio).

What you cannot do with this kind of setup is to listen to the car radio and get TomTom to interrupt the radio when navigation instructions arrive. For this you need to connect some kind of radio mute box to your car stereo. Most newer car stereos have dedicated pins (a mute pin and an aux pin) in the back for connecting different kinds of car kits. What a mute box does is to set the signal to the mute pin high/low when the audio output of your TomTom is active (any kind of sound). The radio sound is now interrupted and replaced by the TomTom sound. This does seem like an optimal solution to most of us, but one drawback is that some mute boxes have a tendency to cut the first milliseconds of the navigation instructions due to signal delays. This would annoy me.

/Ulf
homersolly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just contacted Dixons as my order has now been 'in progress' for over 24 hours.

I was informed that I should get it by next Thursday as the 5 day delivery is from the date of the order being processed & not from the date the product is posted.

Living in hope.

Kevo

Smile
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered mine from handtec yesterday - should be on it's way according to them!!!
Home 2.7.3.1894
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
Ordered mine from handtec yesterday - should be on it's way according to them!!!

Please let us know if it arrives as promised. I ordered one yesterday eveneing...just rang and they have "guaranteed" delivery before 1pm tomorrw, but the CSA seemed very unsure about stock numbers, locations etc.

After being messed about by Egg/Curry's I think I will just explode if it doesn't arrive tomorrow.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered from Handtec yesterday and it has arrived this morning yipee. Looking at their website they are out of stock now. Great price though. Hope to do some serious playing this weekend
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBt, did you get traffic to work on your SE.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 17 of 30

Jump to: