Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjm2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTekweni wrote:
I never thought that I would praise tomtom support but they seem to be trying hard to please first an offer of a free subscirtion which i had to decline due to me already having one and my phone not compatible now I am being offered a regional map as compensation, so they are trying to please which makes me think that TMC is a long ways from being released.

You are lucky, they aren't even responding to my support request!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjm2k wrote:
iTekweni wrote:
I never thought that I would praise tomtom support but they seem to be trying hard to please first an offer of a free subscirtion which i had to decline due to me already having one and my phone not compatible now I am being offered a regional map as compensation, so they are trying to please which makes me think that TMC is a long ways from being released.

You are lucky, they aren't even responding to my support request!

I would worry, their replies are useless, this is todays update, yet another please wait, we are now heading for Q3 release date.

Dear Speedcam,

May we apologise for the delay in responding to your query.

We apologize for the delay. We are currently investigating this and hope to have an answer soon.
Please bear with us as we soon we will have more information concerning it.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
rjm2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, a response...

Dear Mr X,

The TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver was designed to provide seamless integration of RDS-TMC traffic information with the user-interface of the TomTom GO, providing customers with the best traffic experience on the market.

Through listening to valuable customer feedback, however, it has come to our attention that in some cases the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver does not live up to our customers’ expectations.

TomTom has taken your feedback very seriously and you will be offered a replacement of your RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver, a new version of which will feature improved performance and which we strive to have available soon.

We have taken note of your details, and will contact you when the revised version is available. We will then let you know how to proceed in order to have your receiver replaced.

With Best Regards

beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Tom Tom response Reply with quote

rjm2k - I think most of us have seen that wording before! At least, theoretically you are now on the list for a replacement - but I had that particular cut and paste response some months back and nothing has materialised yet. Now they simply don't answer updates to the query.

In short, don't hold your breath.... Wink
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that we're now told that TT don't intend selling the x20T models in the UK, is this not an indication that they think RDS TMC will never work properly in the UK?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Given that we're now told that TT don't intend selling the x20T models in the UK, is this not an indication that they think RDS TMC will never work properly in the UK?

Just for fun I've reopened my call again !!! and asked for a shipping date instead of being asked to be patient. I've also ask the very same question, is the V2 any better, why are TomTom not suppling the 520T & 720T as well as the TMC accessory.

I'll await the usual stupid reply, or the cut 'n' paste response... that is if they reply....

At this rate we'll be in Q4, I'm wondering if TomTom are dragging this out so that we are all over our UK 12 month warranty period and cannot return the TMC devices?
rjm2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
BGF wrote:

Just for fun I've reopened my call again !!! and asked for a shipping date instead of being asked to be patient. I've also ask the very same question, is the V2 any better, why are TomTom not suppling the 520T & 720T as well as the TMC accessory.

I'll await the usual stupid reply, or the cut 'n' paste response... that is if they reply....

At this rate we'll be in Q4, I'm wondering if TomTom are dragging this out so that we are all over our UK 12 month warranty period and cannot return the TMC devices?

the 12 month warranty doesn't matter since they have admitted the product is flawed and are working on a replacement, even after 12 months you can ask for your money back under the sale of goods act since they have to be fit for purpose in the first place!
Pongo-Pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions:

1. Would they need the original packaging and receipt of the antenna in order to provide a replacement (if one is ever produced)? I'm if I can find mine anywhere!

2. Is there some sort of "register" run by either this site or TomTom themselves where disgruntled RDS-TMC antenna owners should add their names?

Your advice appreciated!

Regards,

- PP
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pongo-Pilot wrote:
A couple of questions:

1. Would they need the original packaging and receipt of the antenna in order to provide a replacement (if one is ever produced)? I'm if I can find mine anywhere!

I wouldn't think so.
Quote:
2. Is there some sort of "register" run by either this site or TomTom themselves where disgruntled RDS-TMC antenna owners should add their names?

There isn't but to be honest I don't see the point of such a list. When TomTom eventually pull their finger out and publicize what they propose as the solution then all will become clear. I have been asking regularly and they know we're all clamoring for an answer here. Lord alone knows why they can't just make an announcement.
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh B******s :x Why didn`t I read this thread before I spent £70 on a pile of rubbish ,here`s my reply from TomTom

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the windscreen dock. When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency. It is particularly important that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is positioned correctly. The receiver cable must be stretched out entirely, as it is the cable itself that functions as an antenna and which receives the RDS-TMC signal.

If you know the frequency of a local radio station that transmits RDS-TMC information, you can try tuning to this specific frequency. Please go to the "RDS/TMC Status Screen" by tapping on the traffic bar on the right side of the screen when in the main navigation view. Then click on the "Tune RDS/TMC" icon and enter the frequency. Please note that there needs to be a route planned in order to use this functionality.

If you have tried to "Tune" into a frequency but with no result then the RDS-TMC receiver may not be functioning appropriately. Please try and adjust the location of the receiver to a position where a stronger signal is received. Please also test the receiver outside of the car for a few minutes to verify that it is able to receive a signal.

If the receiver still does not receive a useable signal please re-install the latest software, 6.524, through TomTom HOME.

If the receiver does not receive a signal at all, not even outside the car, then please let us know and we will book the RDS-TMC receiver and the car docking shoe in for repair to get them tested and replaced if necessary.

Please note that TMC information is transmitted through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The source of the RDS-TMC traffic information, and the radio stations and organizations responsible for the transmission of the signal, vary for every country and region in which the service is available. Additionally, the strength of the radio signal that is transmitted locally can vary greatly, depending on the proximity to an FM transmitter mast and its transmission strength.

A limitation of TMC technology is therefore that in certain local areas it may not be possible to receive a useable RDS-TMC signal.

With Best Regards

rjm2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the standard first response, you then have to reply saying that it works but only if you are stood outside holding the thing in the air, or parked under the local transmitter. Then they put you on the list of people who might get a replacement.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've now give up with the online support service and decided to call them, and to be honest they still wouldn't give me a straight answer. What was funny was the chap who answered the phone was a trainee, and he was being trained, the only problem was the trainer kept forgetting to switch his mic off, so I kept hearing 'tell the customer..' 'ask the customer to do this...'' all a load of b?lls?it.

I'm now wondering if they plan to release the Vodafone solution in the UK, and just maybe we are being made to wait so that we can be offered the alternative solution. Highly unlikely but a possibility . . .
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vodaphone solution is for data gathering IIRC so its not much use for a system based around FM Radio transmissions, the only reliable connection to receive TMC data on a TomTom throughout the UK is via the existing GPRS subscription package utilising your mobile phones internet connection.

If/ When we get to use the revised receiver in the UK then the true advantage of RDS-TMC may become reality, I did ask TomTom about this at the Sandown Expo earlier this year but as yet no hardware has been seen that reliably works in the UK, we only need an external aerial connection point to be honest that a user can supplement with a decent aerial if they are located in poor reception areas.

I have stated before Navman use iTIS information broadcast over the same network, their device performs much more reliably and you have the all important option of the external feed - its not rocket science - Mike
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Same hassle Reply with quote

I get a signal outside my house in Bolton. I just got back from driving to Romania. I got signal out going in UK telling me too late that delay at Knutsford Services 6/7/07 and spent 2 hours in a jam and further delays which only got mentioned after I got stuck in jam. In France, nothing, but no holdups either, Belgium I got a signal several times but kept losing it. Holland the same, Germany warned me several times and lost signal several times, but informed before a delay. Nothing in Austria. Hungary no delays, and occasional signal. Coming back was the same, but it told me of M6 delays around Birmingham, but still routed me on non-toll even though no holdups on toll road
Can anyone please send email address of TomTom so I can get on list for replacement unit when they do something. So far it is a piece of junk and over priced. I much preferred the traffic master in my old Vectra. They even gave me a year free after I complained the telephone number to get subscription was incorrect and cause delay of 3 hours and a lot of grief phoning a number and being left in a non-existent queue for over an hour.

The GPRS is much more reliable, but unfortunately my phone bluetooth this week suddenly started to play up and keeps connecting/disconnecting to TomTom, but it is the phone not the TomTom at fault
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think the list is now a waste of time, having got so fed up with TomTom not answering the support calls I called them and it was quite interesting. In a nutshell:

* They are aware of the problems, no surprises here.
* They do not know if they will have a solution to the problem, so why have a list?
* As a result of not having a list they can not provide a date, which explains the reluctance to answer calls.

As a result I pushed them, and they have now enabled a 1year traffic subscription. Based on the above it doens't look very promising.

What surprises me is why other manufacturers can produce a TMC unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 9 of 30

Jump to: