Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amjidkhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Problem with Go Reply with quote

I plugged a TT Go into my PC and and TT Home asked me if I wanted to download the latest Go application and when I said yes it said I already a copy. I just cancelled it when it said this.

However now when i turn on the Go it doesn't load up anymore, it comes with a picture of the SD card with a red cross. I guess this means it cannot see the memory card anymore.

I do have a back up of the TT but I cannot even access the SD card to restore it.

Please can someone help me this issue, the TT was working perfectly before I plugged it into my PC.

Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your unit actually have an SD card or does it use internal flash memory? if its a card use a card reader to wipe the SD (format) then install your backup to the card - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a card reader, it's best to use that to reinstall from the backup. If you used TomTom Home to make the backup, first look to see where it has stored it - probably in a folder called TomTom in My Documents on your PC. Check that all the backup files are complete by comparing with the files on your SD card (using File Explorer and your card reader), and if all is OK, format your SD card and copy your backup onto the empty card
You should then be back where you were when you made the backup
Robin

edit at 1.34 I was typing when Mike Alder posted his reply, but basically we are saying the same thing
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
amjidkhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a SD card, Ive just used a colleagues laptop to read the SD card and it seems to be blank.

I will get the files across to his laptop and copy them on the SD card.

Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for your help.
amjidkhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the copying the backup on to the SD card but the files which I originally copied from the SD card are now too big for the SD card.

They are only 1KB bigger which seems rather strange.

I have tried formatting the SD card to see if it gets any more space and I've also tried removed files from the backup to make it smaller but no luck. I removed a museum POI but this didn't seem to make much difference.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like either the card is totally corrupted or isn't empty.
What capacity does it say it has when you right click on its icon and select properties? You haven't said what model TomTom you are using and whether it is an original SD card, so it's rather hard to guess what capacity it should be.
You could remove one of the foreign voices to free some space - delete any one EXCEPT data04.chk and data05.chk (assuming you want to keep the UK English ones), but we could faff about for ages, trying to work out what you've done. Why not just go buy a bigger SD card and be done with it?
amjidkhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to sort it out.

It is either a Go 300 or 500, not sure which as it is not mine. Obviously it is not a 700 as it has a SD card. Im fairly sure it is a 300 as I don't remember seeing any phone

I managed to fix it by formatting the SD card using FAT instead of FAT32. Formatting it using FAT gave me a extra KB of free space which allowed me to copy the files across.

In the end I didn't need to delete any files as they managed to fit on the card.

Although it is all working ok now, I do think the SD card is slightly dodgy, oh well at least its all working now.

Thanks for all your help guys. Let me know if you have any questions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would mention to your friend... The TomTom's need some free "thinking space" on the CD card to use as buffer memory while working out complicated routes (think I've read a 1MB or so...).
If you've filled it up so much that an extra 1kB makes the difference between it all fitting on or not, then I'd be suprised if it works without regular crashes.

Decent quality SD cards are really cheap now. Get the next size up and all will get better.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
One thing I would mention to your friend... The TomTom's need some free "thinking space" on the CD card to use as buffer memory while working out complicated routes (think I've read a 1MB or so...).
In the 'old days' it was suggested that 2MB was a requirement.

Don't know if that still holds true with later software. I suspect it does. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for correction. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: