Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660 Bluetooth problem with Samsung D900
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660 Bluetooth problem with Samsung D900
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbisset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 660 Bluetooth problem with Samsung D900 Reply with quote

Hi,
Currently have a Nuvi 660 and Samsing D900 mobile.
Bluetooth worked fine up until a few days ago. Now when the Nuvi finds the phone and connects then, after about 10 seconds the Nuvi disables bluetooth. I try re-enabling but the unit just seems to hang for ages.

Is the Nuvi faulty or, am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
alexberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 660 Bluetooth problem with Samsung D900 Reply with quote

dgbisset wrote:
Hi,
Currently have a Nuvi 660 and Samsing D900 mobile.
Bluetooth worked fine up until a few days ago. Now when the Nuvi finds the phone and connects then, after about 10 seconds the Nuvi disables bluetooth. I try re-enabling but the unit just seems to hang for ages.

Is the Nuvi faulty or, am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi... I have exactly the same issue with my wife's D900. The nuvi660 connects fine with my Motorola v3i, but behaves exactly as you say when trying to connect with the Samsung D900.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution. I assume that the fault lies with the D900, rather than the nuvi, given that my mobile pairs fine.

Looking forward to hearing if there's any resolution to this issue from others.

Alex.
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already tried updating the BT firmware within the unit I would give it a shot as it cured a colleague's BT woes. There's a BT hidden menu with a update button, then reboot. If you've already tried this, then sorry I can't think of anything else. Sad
dgbisset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried updating the bluetooth via the hidden menu - it didn't seem to make a difference.

Although, I have now tried pairing the Nuvi with a Nokia 6230 and it works fine. The bizarre thing is the Samsung D900 worked up until a few days ago.

I've logged a query with Garmin and await their response - I don't hold out much hope though.

Cheers.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem with nuvi 360 and samsung d900.

some very heavy duty googling led me to believe that it is the phones firmware that causes the issue and an upgrade will solve this. some even deeper googling found me the firmware files along with software for carrying this out. however, you need a special data-cable for the phone and it gets mentioned numerous times that flashing the phones firmware will result in the IMEI being set to all zero's... not a problem for some networks but o2 (who i'm with) block all phones with 'blank' IMEI numbers so that stolen phones that have been 'flashed' won't work...

basically we're stuffed! weird thing is though the other month my phone suddenly started working fine for 3 weeks and then stopped just as suddenly...

MaFt
kangaroo802
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyc wrote:
If you haven't already tried updating the BT firmware within the unit I would give it a shot as it cured a colleague's BT woes. There's a BT hidden menu with a update button, then reboot. If you've already tried this, then sorry I can't think of anything else. Sad

where is the hidden menu?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangaroo802 wrote:
Harveyc wrote:

where is the hidden menu?

On a 660 get to the 'console' display (on map, tap the speed display at Lower RHS when NOT following a route)

The next step seems to be a little variable - so persist.

Tap and HOLD the centre button of the top row of three along the centre of the display (should make sense with unit in front of you - can't remember what it displays). You will need to hold for 5-10 secs.

(On my 660 I find I get better response if I tap and hold the top edge of this button)

This will pop up the 'hidden' menus.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOW - ONE WRONG ACTION CAN STUFF YOUR UNIT - NO RESPONSIBILITY ETC...

Go through the menus using the NEXT button until you get to the BT Status menu - the Update button is the available. Warning - I don't know what this does as BT updates are automatic when new versions of the firmware are made available from GARMIN

On the Status display it shows the hardware version. Mine shows HW100-SW280 - which I take to be V1.0 h/w and V2.80 s/w - which was the latest release I downloaded.

If it just reloads the existing copy of the fimware stored on the nuvi - then there may be a way to downgrade the BT stack -but I wouldn't recommend it without confirmation
Guffnuts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate points already made. I've just upgraded to the D900i and the BT will not work on my 310.

It connects fine and i'm able to make calls by dialling them manually, but thats it. (dont know about answering them yet)

As soon as I try to send my contacts or look at call history the unit completely freezes, the phone takes ages to disconnect and i have to reboot the 310 completely.

BT firmware has been updated to the latest and still no joy. Crying or Very sad
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the firmware level on the phone - yes I know it's new - but my last new phone (Nokia) was shipped with a firmware release 3 whole numbers out - that is it shipped with V2.xxx and when I checked on the Nokia site it was at 5.yyy Made quite a difference to it's operability with my nuvi 660

Also - edited in -

The failure to be able to use last call lists from the nuvi is odd as this is simply just a list of calls made from the nuvi - it does NOT copy over the logs from your phone (at least it never has for any of the 4 phones I have used with my 660). It would point to the fact that the BT connectivitiy you have with te nuvi is very basic.

Check what type of BT data transfer your phone uses. My N72 uses the OBEX profile - and it was this that required an application to be loaded on the N72 to successfully move the contacts to the nuvi. Being a Symbian phone you get the flexibility to do this sort of thing - with non-smart phones you may not be as lucky.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
The failure to be able to use last call lists from the nuvi is odd as this is simply just a list of calls made from the nuvi - it does NOT copy over the logs from your phone (at least it never has for any of the 4 phones I have used with my 660).
It does copy this over for many "normal" phones, although smartphones, eg Nokia / Symbian models stand out as not having this support. Also, even without this, it may be trying to access the contact list to put a name to the number, which again you wouldn't normally see on a Nokia smartphone.

Kinda strange really - you pay extra for the extra functionality of a smartphone, and yet something as basic as decent car kit support is missing...
Guffnuts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod's law would have it, that i connected the 310 to the PC to update the BT firmware, but I had the latest apparently.

I thought i'd try and connect again and try and send my contacts and shock horror.....it actually worked. No hang ups or freezing. I dont know how the phonebook works in the D900, but its managed to duplicate every number that appears on the 310. Confused
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having problems with my sony erricson K800i and nuvi310. Spent so much time and money talking to garmin that I've given up. Latest firmware/softwares loaded and although the phone connects up when it dials out it just hangs without making the call.
The annoying thing is it originally worked just fine until the nuvi had a small problem and updating the unit software caused all the problems Sad
This is quiet possbly the last garmin unit I buy Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guffnuts wrote:
I thought i'd try and connect again and try and send my contacts and shock horror.....it actually worked. No hang ups or freezing. I dont know how the phonebook works in the D900, but its managed to duplicate every number that appears on the 310. Confused

you don't need to send your phonebook to the nuvi - it picks up the phone book when you connet. if you add a new number you'll probably find you only get one instance of it until you 'send' the phonebook to the nuvi - then it will be duplicated

MaFt
Guffnuts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you don't need to send your phonebook to the nuvi - it picks up the phone book when you connet. if you add a new number you'll probably find you only get one instance of it until you 'send' the phonebook to the nuvi - then it will be duplicated

MaFt

Thanks, that would explain the duplication. Just figured it would be the same as the D600 where you had to send the phonebook across.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
philpugh wrote:
The failure to be able to use last call lists from the nuvi is odd as this is simply just a list of calls made from the nuvi - it does NOT copy over the logs from your phone (at least it never has for any of the 4 phones I have used with my 660).
It does copy this over for many "normal" phones, although smartphones, eg Nokia / Symbian models stand out as not having this support. Also, even without

Not built in... But you can download a program from Nokia's website for the Nokia 810 (Nokia hands free kit) to install on nokia smartphones. It adds phonebook download. And supports the last calls bits & pieces...

Unfortunately the latest BT on the Garmin seems abit flakey on it... Previously it worked without too many problems. The current firmware seems to 'forget' how to pull the details now & again... Until you make a phonecall from the Garmin... Then it works again... But only for calls AFTER the call made from the garmin.

Quote:

Kinda strange really - you pay extra for the extra functionality of a smartphone, and yet something as basic as decent car kit support is missing...

But not gone completely... Search for Nokia_810_Contacts_Sync.sisx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: