Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lockout when searching for address
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lockout when searching for address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Lockout when searching for address Reply with quote

Hello,

I've now started experiencing lockouts when searching for an address in TomTom Navigator. This is happening in both the Navigator and Map screens.

What is happening is...
You click the screen in navigator mode.
Click Navigate To.... Address
After you type in a few letters the screen stops updating. i.e. No more letters appear as you type and the list doesn't update to find location.

I'm using the following
Dell Axim X5
Compact Flash GPS
TTNav 2.22
GPS 2.05

I have tried the usual stuff including totally wipeing the PPC including Memory Card and starting from scratch without luck.

TIA
Slimboy Fat
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've done a little more investigation and It's got to be a map problem. This is what happens when you try to type in the city. Using Manchester as a example.

It will lock out when you get to the N...
So I tried typing M and then used the scroll bars. It only went as far as Maldon.

I have deleted everything of the SD card and reinstalled the maps, but it does the same. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to have given me all the space back on the card. Once I deleted it stated that there was only 106 meg space should be 128. I am currently installing a 32meg chunk of the map to see if this helps. If so it seems that its not completely fittig on the card but it's not giving any errors when installing.

Going to Manchester Computer Fair tomorrow so I'll pick up a card reader. Can I format the card using windows Format and should this give me the full space back.

SBF
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the storage card is corrupted or the data on it. You can just download storagetools from www.softwinter.com and use this to check for errors. You may want to re-format it if you can't get it working then reinstall the maps.
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: SD Card Reply with quote

I had this with a Sandisk card.

If you wait an extremely long time, does it come back with the next selection of towns? Try 2-3 minutes!

If so, the card is just running very slow. It probably says Sandisk on the back. Throw it away Evil or Very Mad
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, You where both right....

Dave: Got myself a card reader and format the card. When I just deleted the maps folder (the only folder on the card), properties still stated there was 15 meg used. A format has given me this back. I can even get UK Postcodes to work which failed when I first installed and put it down to it not likeing my setup or me doing something wrong with the installation.

thax1: I had already started to format the card before I read your post so I couldn't test your 2nd paragraph. It is a Sandisk, If I throw it what do you recommend for the replacement and do you know of any decent suppliers.

Thanks
SBF
joejoe123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem before with the sandisk card and as DARREN suggested me before use any card as long as it is not from SANDISK and not made in CHINA. i use the AVL(toshiba) 512 mb made in japan an works perfect.
chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen before some comments about Sandisk. Does this apply just to the SD cards or to the complact flash cards as well? I've just bought a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB CF card from ebay and it's got China printed on it. Should I be concerned?
What is it about China cards that seem to be the problem?

Cheers
Simon
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues with Sandisk relate purely to their SD cards. We attempted to discuss this with Sandisk at their stand at CeBIt but they ahd no technical representative available.

Basically to avoid issues, enusre any SD card you buy is either not Sandoisk (although the issue affects only Sandisk cards manufactured in China) or any other SD card that is labelled as being manufactured in China or PRC (Peoples Republic of China).
chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren. I bought the Sandisk as it is the one that Nikon recommend for their new D70 camera. As the cards are £100 cheaper on ebay I went that route.

Simon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: