Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Crete and a direct comparison of TomTom, Navman + Destinator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Crete and a direct comparison of TomTom, Navman + Destinator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subwoofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Crete and a direct comparison of TomTom, Navman + Destinator Reply with quote

I have been trying to find a map that covers Crete. So far no luck.

http://www.ngi.gr/page.php?pageid=44&languageid=1 indicates that Crete should be covered in the Destinator maps, but I have 2006 Q1 maps and Crete is road free.

While on this hunt for Crete I have loaded my Navman PiN 570 with TomTom Navigator 6 and Destinator 6 and so have been able to compare them directly running on the same hardware and same routes.

Comments:

Navman - Most detailed maps, my favourite routing, as it goes the route I would have, excellent visual directions and good voice directions (though not always entirely correct, the display is correct). Good fix with built in antenna.

TomTom - less detail and current map position not as accurate as Navman on roundabouts and when turning corners. Most accurate voice directions on tested routes. OK route selection. Less detailed maps, and simpler display, not to my taste but possibly clearer for many users. User interface simple and full postcode lookup.

Destinator - Works with built in antenna, but takes ages to get a fix and easily looses it (odd as it is using the same hardware and TomTom and Navman hardly ever loose their fix). Lags about 50m behind current position and doesn't show when you turn a corner instead stopping at the junction and jumping further down the road several seconds later. Voice directions leave out vital information meaning that if you didn't check the screen you might take the wrong turn and when approaching a turn it overlays the map view, blocking the overall view of the manoeuver.

My preference is Navman, followed by TomTom. Destinator looks nice, but performed very badly; maybe the hardware is not up to it, but why did the other two work so well?

Anyway, please remember to comment on the Crete maps.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: