Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quick question for Clip-on owners
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick question for Clip-on owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Quick question for Clip-on owners Reply with quote

Hi,

I currently have an Emtac BT GPS receiver, but find that it is not very good in 'urban canyon' environments i.e. walking around London, Manchester, Bristol etc - where I regularly get lost. (Strangely it is OK when driving the same routes). But I do a fair bit of city centre wandering.

So, I was considering switching to the Clip-on. Are people finding it can get a fix, standing in Central London or Manchester ?

Also, even in an open environment, I need to hold the Emtac at arm's length to get a fix. Put it in my pocket when walking, and sat reception drops to two at best. Leaving me feeling a bit daft walking with iPAQ in lefthand and outstretched righthand holding Emtac, in busy city centre.

So the (quick!) question is: are people getting city centre fixes with their Clip-on's, and how many satellites can you get with CO in pocket when walking?

Many thanks !

Jules
afstcklnd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: CLIPON - slightly urban Reply with quote

Hi,

I got mine today and after a quick 3 hour charge, I gave it a try.

After getting it connected (eventually - but lots of help on this forum) to my iPaq 5450, and leaving it sitting on the window sill for 30 minutes to do the initial almanac update, I gave it a try.

First off was a 'bench test' - I'd read about the XT capabilities - sitting on a desk 3 - 4 ft inside a window, it got a positive lock in less than a minute!

Next was a quick trip in the car (ST mode) - worked wonderfully!

I then switched to XT mode and wandered round town (market town in Hampshire) which is not that urban but even in an alley way, it retained a good fix when stashed in my pocket.

SO - Thumbs Up

(No guarantees in a really urban environment - that'll have to wait for my next trip to London to check that out).

Regards
Andrew
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: