Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigate to Lat/Long on Go300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigate to Lat/Long on Go300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Navigate to Lat/Long on Go300 Reply with quote

Should it be possible to navigate to a Lat/Long position via the Navigate to Lat/Long icon?

Whenever I try, the position I'm trying to get to is approx 18Km out (to the South West) of where I know it to be.

Reason is, I'm trying to meet up with my SO for lunch as she's biking around the countryside. Her lat/long figures are coming from a Garmin Forerunner 305.

Any/all advice and tip welcomed.

Many thanks,
Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the lat/ long format she is using, the TomTom requires decimal degrees, make sure the Garmin is set to the same format - it is quite possible the Garmin is set to DMS (Degrees, minutes, seconds) - Mike
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks for the reply. Yes we're both using the same format and they're "out' (when side by side) by only 1 1/1000 on both Lat/Long. Trouble is, when I enter the figure she gives for a 'distant' place, the TomTom is nowhere near.
BTW - my Go gives DMS as an option in the general preferences setup - but we're using D m.m

Most perplexing.......I guess she'll have to fix her own punctures (if any) and I'll have to lunch on my own :-(

ATB, Andy
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clandyuk wrote:
... when I enter the figure she gives for a 'distant' place, the TomTom is nowhere near.

Could the TT be snapping to the nearest road?
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Sounds intriguing. We need to narrow down whether the problem lies with reading the position from the Garmin or entering it into the TomTom.
Can you try entering the following D M.M position in your TomTom and confirm that it comes out as the middle of Russell Square in Central London?
N 51 31.306 W 000 07.568
If your SO isn't prepared to cycle up there to see what the Garmin says, we need to switch to using a position that you can test. Please can you give us details of some position you're using that isn't working - explain exactly where it is (so we can confirm from other mapping what the coordinates of it are), what the Garmin is showing as its position, and where you're getting when you put that position into your TomTom. Hopefully then someone on here will have a light-bulb moment and solve it.
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, Thanks for that. I entered the co-ordinates and ended up at B270 - Hillbury Road!!
....but I then actually looked 8O at the keypad layout and saw the degree and minute keys - I'd been entering the lat/long as D.M.M (not using the deg/min symbols)
Typing it in with these, correctly gets me to Russell Square, so problem solved. Many Thanks.

JOOI, at the moment we're in the Netherlands, hence the need for Lat/Long coordinates - neither of us can pronounce the place names here, but it is superb cycling territory (for us casual cyclists) :D

Thanks again to all for your input.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: