Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please - just bought TomTom 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please - just bought TomTom 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oslo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it 3 times. It could be the speed of the CF. Have you tried to format the CF? If it's badly fragmentet, that could slow it down. Just a suggestion....
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice suggestion, I'll try defragging it later.
Also, oslo, would you be kind enough to post a screenshot of your directory structure on your pda? It maybe that it might be placed in the wrong place on mine. I'm not sure what is happening - there are random .axs files in some directories and .pna files in others.
I'm going to sleep now but will try some more in the morning. Again thanks for your help.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jornada 540 i think uses an earlier version of ppc ie not ppc2002 so i dont think tomtom will work plus the processor speed may not be fast enough though city maps will work with it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang on ill dig my 545 out and see if it works on there ill pm tomorrow

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Oslo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Ipaq 2210. Here is the Structure (if that's what you meant)

ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
On the tomtom website the compatibility list shows the Jornada as compatible.
I'm gonna try some more - thanks for the screenshot - thats how my map installs except it is My Device / Storage Card / Great_Britain Maps or something.
I also tried installing a 16mb london map on the actual device - it still didn't work. Same for installing it on the card as well.
Sad
bluetba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem with my Jornada 525, it drove me mad!!!. The way I fixed it was to install the version from the cd, then download the most recent version from the web and then install that over the top.
I have heard other people report that they have had to do a hard reset on the PDA but this seems a last resort to me.

Also when you run the software from the PDA dont start the TomTom wizard as I found that after I got around the problem and had been into the software, if I ran the wizard I had the same problem again.

I bought the software 4 days ago, so if you need software version numbers let me know!.

Cheers
Chris
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate will try that now - btw what is the tomtom wizard?
SS
bluetba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what the wizard is, I am now to scared to run it!!!! Smile It just appeard in the list of programs after installation!!!!.
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - how are you finding it?
I bought the package off eBay and I am very disappointed so far - the windscreen mount supplied broke when I tried to put in on the screen (i.e. the little lever that clamps it) and the leather case that was included was nice but the clip broke when I tried clipping it onto my belt!
The guy is also appararently not going to reply to my emails now that I have paid him!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you posted feedback for the sale yet? If not email him and threaten to neg him if he doesn't reply. That normally gets a response Twisted Evil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom Wizard somes as part of the v2.09 GPS Update. It's there to make the initial config of the GPS simpler. It's a waste of space!
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. Its working now!!
I will do that darren, quite annoying when I paid him such a large amount of money. I haven't posted feedback yet. I'm kinda of afraid of posting neg. feedback since he might do the same and I have a 100% positive feedback rate at 98.
I'm out now to test the device in my car but thanks very much for helping me (everyone!).
bluetba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's working, one thing I have found that is a bit strange, my Jornada keeps almost resetting, the screen go's blue and then it loses the GPS signal for a few seconds and then comes back, it only seems to do this when I am on my way home!!. the cure seems to be to reset the PDA!, I would be interested to hear if you have the same problem, I am sure that I read somewhere that this was a problem between TomTom and the Jornada's but has been fixed in the latest release!. I can live with it, I just ensure that before I leave to drive home I reset the PDA!.

I am a bit disappointed with TomTom from the point of view of the maps to the point that I am just trying to find other pieces of software to see if they are any better.
I know they say that GPS should be used in conjunction with a paper map but I would like to be able to put a little more trust in it!, having said that I have had it about 4 days and so still have alot to learn!, so time will tell.

If all go's well, I am intending to upgrade my PDA, I made sure that I bought a GPS antenna with a changable lead to cut down the cost of my next upgrade.

Cheers
ss21k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh - I haven't used it too much. It seemed to keep up all the time with me - occasionally a few yards behind but otherwise very good.
Its my first experience of a GPS system so I'm not sure what to expect but mine was fine with me - apart from the fact that my mount is screwed up and I was holidng it most of the time. The graphics weren't that slow either as I was expecting from the demo on their site.
Regarding the issue of accuracy it was fine on the routes I took - it recognised all of the roads that I took so I'm not too sure what to expect.
I'm quite happy with my purchase - for £200 it wasn't bad (apart from the case and the mount) considering the add on ones are over double that. On top of that I got to use my pda which has been gathering dust for a few years now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: