Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My PDA's battery went flat
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My PDA's battery went flat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DopeyDylan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: My PDA's battery went flat Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My PDA's battery went flat for some reason (it was fully charged earlier the same day!). I've never had this happen and am finding it hard to work out what I do now!

It's the first time this has ever happened to me in the 3yrs i've had the PDA and I now realise it loses all the software 8O :x.

I'm wondering what I need to do to re-instantiate everything.

My PC no longer 'recognises' my PDA.

I've found the option in active sync to re-install software (having set up my PDA as a guest), but Tom tom isn't on the list of applications.

1) Do I need to install Tomtom manually from the original SD card again?
2) As my original software was stored on my larger 1gb SD card, will my POI still be OK?
3) How do I get my PC to recognise my PDA and thus update outlook details, etc?

Any advice would be truly appreciated, as I have very little experience on this matter, and a google for help unusually hasn't pointed me at any decent advice.

If it helps my PDA is a FS Loox 720 running Mobile 2003.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
Dylan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - you will need to re-install ALL apps that you installed to your PDA. It's one of those things that some PDA's do - forget things when there is no power.

Your info on the SD card(s) will be OK.

After you have done this a full backup of your system would be in order - in readiness for the next time (which will happen :D )
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also get sprite back up its welll worth the money

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
DopeyDylan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Will try out these suggestions this weekend. Such a pain.

I was hoping I'd just dock my PDA and all would sort itself out! Rolling Eyes

Thanks again... I'll let you know how I get on!
Rickyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a couple of Navman PDA's running the same Os and it's the same with them , let the battery run flat and you've lost all your programs .It's a bit of a faf to switch on , go into all the relevant settings to check on your battery status , but it has to be done . I found a nice little app the other day that puts all this info on your today [home ] screen . So , you just switch on and look at the bar on your screen and it will give you the % of the battery power and memory/card memory. It's a free app ,so will cost nowt and is worth having . Details below:

PowerCheck v3.7 Description
It displays Battery capacity, Memory storage capacity and Storage card capacity. It executes Power and Frontlight, Memory settings program and does reboot, power off and LCD off.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Sprite Backup and schedule regular backups. It also comes with an excellent battery monitor included, which can be displayed on the Today screen. Laughing
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a very similar problem with my HP hx2490, fortunately with this PDA you don't lose all the data when the battery goes flat. Besides, I also use Sprite and can highly recomend it!

With mine, take it out of the cradle, leave it over night, and battery goes flat. I restored it to factory settings and it was fine. Used my last Sprite back-up and problem returns. It must be one of the packages that are installed causing this to happen and I suspect it is TomTom (version 5) as I think it installs some services at boot-up time.
Has anyone else had this issue?
or any ideas?

Bob
Rickyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how old your model is , but it could simply be the age of the battery . My 5 year old Sony Clie's battery doesn't last long now and I've just bought a replacement battery for my Sharp minidisk recorder.The old nicads were the worst for drainage , Ni-MH or polymer batterys are much better . I see on ebay you can buy higher grade batteries for most things even my Navman Pin 570 .
jcjeffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Navman Pin 570 in January I was alarmed that it lost about 6% of the battery charge overnight. I remembered seeing somewhere on a forum that Activesync was mainly to blame for the high rate of battery discharge on PPCs when switched "off". So I started shutting down ALL running programs before switching off for the night. Since then it only looses about 2% overnight and about 6% per day. Activesync allegedly wakes the PPC from sleep at intervals to try and sync with the computer.

Chris
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip for resurecting tomtom on a pda after a battery loss is to drop a copy of the setup cab file into the memory card root, then when powered back up just use the pda explorer and double click on it and it will reinstall tomtom, it will obviuosly not save any other applications but will at least keep you on the road with tomtom.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
A tip for resurecting tomtom on a pda after a battery loss is to drop a copy of the setup cab file into the memory card root, then when powered back up just use the pda explorer and double click on it and it will reinstall tomtom, it will obviuosly not save any other applications but will at least keep you on the road with tomtom.
A great idea and one I use on my devices, make sure the CAB file properties are set to "Read Only" in Windows Explorer BEFORE you install the file to the memory card folder, otherwise it will disapear the first time you use it Wink - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: