Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi310D advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi310D advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokiesInWine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Nuvi310D advice Reply with quote

A bit of background first, I recently bought a 310D with a GTM12 traffic receiver. I have problems receiving traffic updates, but only when the engine is running, when I am at standstill it receives information but sometimes it takes a long time. I have updated the 310D with all the latest software. I live in the Bracknell area and travel mostly in the surrounding M3 and M4 area. The car is an Impreza so no heated windscreen to worry about.

I realise there has been a number of discussions about this on the forum in the past. As a result I have contacted Garmin and requested a new car charger (the Nuvi already came with a 6025 so I’m not holding out much hope on this solution). I thought that as it was bought recently all the old chargers would have disappeared.

If the new charger from Garmin does not solve my problem what would people advise me to do

1) Try to find a better charger that doesn’t produce as much noise – any suggestions
2) Connect the GTM12 to the external car aerial – is this a good idea

Alternatively as I have not had the unit long would anyone recommend changing it for a 660 with the integrated FM receiver? Is it really integrated or is it a GTM21 (which from what I have read is just as bad if not worse).

Thanks in advance and any advice is appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like an electrical interference problem with the car, to prove this theory try the device is another car does it work in the other car with the engine running, if yes you need to look in to what on your car is causing the problem. Probable causes are the alternator or ignition leads/ coiil pack.
If the unit does the same thing in another car get the charger lead changed - Mike
rogill
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don,t know if this is related to your problem bur I have the 310D with the GTM 12 and at tmes It didn,t seem to be getting any traffic data and I have been unable to find much info about how the GTM 12 is supposed to work. I have been told that you must be within an area where traffic info is broadcast.
I contacted Garmin recently, who I have always found to be most helpful, and they have sent me a Suppression kit which is a small clamp that fits around the cable no less than a couple of inches from the Nuvi.Their part number is K00-00088-00 (on the packet)
I havn,t fitted it yet but it seems that interference on this unit coua problem.
Regards
Roger
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the supression kit should help, you should also look at your car charger - if the serial number ends in 6017, you should ask Garmin to replace it with the newer designed one that ends in 6025, which is designed to fix the traffic problems caused by the 6017 charger.

However, even with both of these, the signal will still be patchy.
rogill
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,mine does end in 6017. Do Garmin change them without any hassle ?
Thanks Roger
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to, but I've heard a few people having problems recently. Speak to them, explain that you've been told there is a new car charging cable which causes less interference and could they send that one to you.
rogill
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I,ll give them a call.
SmokiesInWine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

My charger is a 6025 but I read on an earlier thread that there seemed to be "older" and "newer" versions. I have asked Garmin to send me a new charger but I am still waiting.

In the meantime, I am thinking of sending the 310D back and maybe going for the 660 with "integrated" FM receiver. Not sure if that is going to have success. Anyone heard how the 660 copes with traffic reports?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokiesInWine wrote:
Anyone heard how the 660 copes with traffic reports?
Pretty much the same.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: