Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Estimated Arrival Times - How are they calculated?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Estimated Arrival Times - How are they calculated?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Estimated Arrival Times - How are they calculated? Reply with quote

When I had a ViaMichelin, one could enter the speeds you estimated you drove at on various road types and it used those to calculate an estimated time of arrival for any planned journey.

How does the TomTom ONE calulate an estimated time of arrival?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old TomTom Navigator software had a similar function, but by the time the hardware models arrived, they'd removed it. They still use the same method, but don't give the user the chance to customise it.
I've never seen the actual figures they use published, but looking at what speeds are used when it performs a "Demo Route" would probably give you a good idea.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT uses a similar method, only different in that you can't attach your own speeds to a particular road.

Each segment of road, from one junction to the next, has a time tag allocated to it.

The software just aggregates all the time segments of the Route left to travel.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried to get at this by setting a route entirely along a motorway and seeing what the distance and time turned out to be, then dividing or somesuch sums to get average speed. A conveniently easy result would have been the same minutes as miles, but that's not my luck!! I had the idea of doing this with several routes. But I simply couldn't be bothered (or face the maths - sums isn't one of my strengths).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Noman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to now. As it works now its totally useless. A typical 1 hour drive holding the speed limits on non motorways calculates appr 1:30
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be that a 70mph road was calculated to about 62mph. Presumably to allow for holdups. Laughing

Problem is, if they get the actual speed of the road wrong, (several posts on this in the Forums) this will change the perceived time of travel, which will make a nonsense of the ETA.

Having said that, in most of the long journeys that I've made in the UK, the ETA seems to be over estimated by 10%. Not a bad thing to arrive early.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noman wrote:
Would be interesting to now. As it works now its totally useless. A typical 1 hour drive holding the speed limits on non motorways calculates appr 1:30
I find "Shortest" route overestimates the time required by similar ratios, but unlike Oldboy, long "Fastest" runs always are calculated at too fast a speed for me (he's not as old and doddery as I - quite a whizzer, in fact, I do believe). I usually add at least half an hour to any estimate when I'm answering the question as to how long it'll take to do my delivery AND qualify it by saying subject to traffic. I believe there is NO WAY that I can average 62 on a long motorway journey these days without exceeding the speed limit at some time - roadworks and toilets are just two of any number of considerations.

Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that on motorways I can't gain on TomTom, even when driving at the limit for extended periods on quiet motorways. However, when I come off the motorway, I travel considerably faster than TomTom predicts, particularly on single carriageway A roads. My feeling is that TomTom uses something like 40mph on single carriageway A roads but nearly 70mph on motorways
A journey I do quite often is from Peterborough to Swansea. On the first part, A14 (dual), M6, M42, M5, M50 my ETA stays almost constant, but when I leave the A449 and take the A465 the ETA comes down visibly
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.

I'll be taking my first motorway journey with TT today. Just a quick run out to Reading to take Mrs M to Costco. That journey is mostly motorway.

After that, we may head out in the Hare Hatch direction to have a spot of lunch somewhere. That will be totally off motorways.

After that, I'll get a hang of the ETA situation in relation to my own driving style.

Edited once for typos - metroace
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the limited speed option, and set it at 60mph. On non-motorway routes, there is little if any difference from fastest. When long motorway routes are involved, the limited speed is more accurate.

Set to fastest for a journey, I did about 20 miles along a motorway, at 70mph on the satnav, using cruise control, and my arrival time at the end had extended by a minute. Clearly, the motorway cruise speed is assumed to be just over 70mph.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Set to fastest for a journey, I did about 20 miles along a motorway, at 70mph on the satnav, using cruise control, and my arrival time at the end had extended by a minute. Clearly, the motorway cruise speed is assumed to be just over 70mph.

I find it difficult to agree with this. I do quite a lot of motorway driving (at least a couple of times a week) and will usually set my cruise control to around 75mph - on the TomTom rather than the speedometer. I always find that the ETA decreases during the journey, assuming it has been delay-free.

The previously stated assumed motorway speed of 62mph would appear to be about right.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
I find it difficult to agree with this. I do quite a lot of motorway driving (at least a couple of times a week) and will usually set my cruise control to around 75mph - on the TomTom rather than the speedometer. I always find that the ETA decreases during the journey, assuming it has been delay-free.

The previously stated assumed motorway speed of 62mph would appear to be about right.

So your speedo is reading 80 or more? Like I said, "I believe there is NO WAY that I can average 62 on a long motorway journey these days without exceeding the speed limit". You've just confirmed it for me and stated you do so deliberately and consistently! I'll say no more before I get really fired up (except that you could decrease your ETA even further by setting your cruise control at 90 on the TomTom)!

metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, calm down! Laughing
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a route demo on motorways, and it's driving at a steady 69mph. Looks like my cruise control isn't absolutely accurate, but there's no way you can average 69 on our motorways without exceeding 70.
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys saying that the speed limit info on non motorway roads has now been removed on TomTom GO maps? Before I updated my maps, I used to get a very accurate represenation on the A roads (eg when it changes from 40 to 50), but now I only get 70 on motorways

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: