Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backup Program for TT5 and XdaII (Pocket PC)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup Program for TT5 and XdaII (Pocket PC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Backup Program for TT5 and XdaII (Pocket PC) Reply with quote

Hi, sorry this is not strictly a TomTom post, but related to it and PDA’s in general.

Mt PDA XdaII is running TomTom 5 with no problems; the UK map is stored on a 1GB SD card and the TT application runs off the the PDA main memory.

All is well with the world, but every now and again I’m a bit stupid and let the battery go flat… I must have re-installed TT at least five times now…

Now this is not normally a problem as I just drive home, sync my PDA to my PC and re-load the TT application from my DVD’s. But shortly I’m off to the USA on a driving holiday and I just know what’s going to happen… and I won’t have a PC with me…

Does anyone know of a PDA “backup program” which will take a true copy of my PDA’s volatile main memory (bearing in mind that I guess some programs like the diary will always be running) and allow me to store the backup image onto my SD card (I’ve plenty of free space for this).

Then if (when) the worst happens, and I have a factory reset PDA, I need a way of running a restore program (I assume I can also keep this program on the SD card) to put everything back in the PDA main memory.

Sorry it’s a bit long winded, but hope it makes sense.

Thanks Henry
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Program for TT5 and XdaII (Pocket PC) Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Does anyone know of a PDA “backup program” which will take a true copy of my PDA’s volatile main memory (bearing in mind that I guess some programs like the diary will always be running) and allow me to store the backup image onto my SD card (I’ve plenty of free space for this).

Then if (when) the worst happens, and I have a factory reset PDA, I need a way of running a restore program (I assume I can also keep this program on the SD card) to put everything back in the PDA main memory.
Have a look for Sprite Backup. One of the options, as well as backing up to your PC, is to produce a self extracting file, that you can store on the PDA or SD Card, that will restore your PDA. You hardware reset, execute the file and Hey Presto! back to where you started!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SPB Back up as it integrates with my other SPB software and can be found here Censored

EDIT Once - Mike Alder - It is against the forum rules to post links to illegal software, please refrain from such behaviour.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also carry the CAB files on your memory card in a folder, these are the installation files for your software so if everything goes wrong you can still install applications such as TomTom.
One other tip, before copying the CAB files to your PDA's memory card set them as read only in windows explorer, otherwise the first time you use them they will erase themselves after the installation Wink - Mike
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advise and a very speedy response (as always)

Thanks for all you help, Henry
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widu wrote:
I use SPB Back up as it integrates with my other SPB software and can be found here Censored
From the Forum Rules & Guidelines For Use
Quote:
• Discussion of illegal activities such as software piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widu wrote:

EDIT Once - Mike Alder - It is against the forum rules to post links to illegal software, please refrain from such behaviour.
The correct link is here.

widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
widu wrote:

The correct link is here.

Thank you for pointing that out, however it is not true, the only rule in the forum with regard to "illegal" software is the DISCUSSION of it, there are not rules about links or the posting of it, merely to discussion. That particular link was to a site and not to any software. On that site is both freeware, shareware and retail software. If you want tighter control write better rules. End of.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry
Sprite Backup only costs a few quid and works perfectly. I can, if I wished, completely erase everything (or give a hard reset) with the full knowledge that all is not lost. Sprite Backup will restore everything as it was at the point of the last backup. By everything I mean everything including the Bluetooth settings, Tomtom, files and, well, everything. I know that it works. Go for it.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: