Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom does not even see 1/2 my 660 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom does not even see 1/2 my 660 maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: TomTom does not even see 1/2 my 660 maps Reply with quote

I have the complete set of 660 maps, but only 1/2 are seen on my Palm running 5.201.

If I put them on a card, some are seen, some are not.

For example, UK, Germany, France all work. But in contrast Italy, Spain and Belguim don't. THey simply arn't seen by TomTom.

Everything looks fine.. There are 12 files per folder, but there is something about these maps which stop them from even been seen...

Any ideas?

Jon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's a similar problem, but when the Classic GO came out, it could only see 5, or was it 7, Maps.

A limit of 3 Maps seems a bit low though. If you take off the Maps for UK, Germany, France can you see any of the others?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom does not even see 1/2 my 660 maps Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I don't know if it's a similar problem, but when the Classic GO came out, it could only see 5, or was it 7, Maps.

A limit of 3 Maps seems a bit low though. If you take off the Maps for UK, Germany, France can you see any of the others?

The one I can't is constant.. So, not matter what combination of maps I put on the card, its always the sames ones that I can't see!

What was the solution with the Classic Go?

Jon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweaver wrote:
The one I can't is constant.. So, not matter what combination of maps I put on the card, its always the sames ones that I can't see!
In that case it means that the other Maps are not compatable with the software you're using.

jweaver wrote:
What was the solution with the Classic Go?
There wasn't one. Just a case of using only as many maps as it could see.

One reason why the seamless Map is/was a good thing.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were all the maps downloaded from the TomTom web site or from the DVD?
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting them from all over.. Several of you are implying, this but I want to stress that this has nothing to do with Piracy (although I am sure that someone will disagree)

Since TomTom have completely failed at helping we work out which maps are supported (AS the last mail I got from them told me to buy the 6.75 maps, and when I protested they said that they would go away and ask 'technical' and never came back) I am forced to go it alone!

I am simply trying to find a solution.. Which is:

1. Live with my Palm/TT5 solution and buy the latest maps.
2. Buy a standalone solution (Which doesn't work in my car as I have a heat refective windscreen)

What I am doign right now, as collecting all the maps I can to find out which ones are recognised by my Palm/TT5. They arn't activated, so I can't use them and I am not going to pay for anything, until I work out what to do next.

This simply about downloading the maps, putting them on my card and seeing if they appear in the list.

I think I have got to the root of the problem is that there are more than one 660 maps.

All the ones which are recognised are 660-1223.

The ones which are not, are 660-1219 (and I have also seen a few other releases).. But it seems that TT5.201 will ONLY support 660-1223.

As I said, I am sure that this will cause offence and someone will tell me that I am doing wrong, but the maps I have collected are NOT activiated (And can't be) unless I pay for them.

This is all about the fact that:

1. I can't upgrade to TT6 (because TT6 is not supported on my Palm)

2. I need ALL of Europe, but I can't buy the complete "seamless" Western Europe map because:

a. Its too big to fit on a card supported by the Palm (The Palm T3 only supports 1g card)
b. When I looked at the seemless maps on a collagues TTONE its missing loads of smaller maps.

3. I can't find accurate info about WHICH maps are supported under 5.201.. Even TomTom don't seem to know

4. I can't buy a standalone version (which I really want) as my windscreen blocks the GPS signal enough to cause a probelm. I can use an external aerial, but the TTONE mount is useless and the 510/710/910 is too big!

I simply want to be sure that all of the latest maps are supported on TT5 and then I can think about paying/activating them!

Jon
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it does not work is the identifying and activation files for various platforms vary. Downloads for TT5 from the TT sites or DVD do not have this problem.

I find it amazing that you claim to have downloaded maps from dubious sources but not tried to use the activation workarounds that would have been posted with them.

If you had been to the shop on the TT site and started the purchase process you would have seen that the TT6.75 map of Western Europe for TT5 requires a 1GB card. The TT6.75 of Western and Central Europe require a 2 GB card. Dodgy sites do not give you that information.

According to certain "experts" there are actually versions of TT complete with maps out on the dodgy circuit that firstly install a trojan on a PC (which if you are lucky your Anti Virus will stop) when the activation crack is used and the application on the PPC actually connects to another site other than TomTom for activation and Plus services which then records any genuine TT device and product/activation codes along with your Plus account details. The first sign of this is that your device code will change when you install it and this should never change without a hardware or system firmware change. PPC AV does not detect this. Later signs maybe that any genuine codes you had are in circulation until TT cuts them off.

You will not be very popular on this site requesting help on dodgy sourced software.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweaver wrote:

This is all about the fact that:

1. I can't upgrade to TT6 (because TT6 is not supported on my Palm)

2. I need ALL of Europe, but I can't buy the complete "seamless" Western Europe map because:

a. Its too big to fit on a card supported by the Palm (The Palm T3 only supports 1g card)
b. When I looked at the seemless maps on a collagues TTONE its missing loads of smaller maps.

3. I can't find accurate info about WHICH maps are supported under 5.201.. Even TomTom don't seem to know

4. I can't buy a standalone version (which I really want) as my windscreen blocks the GPS signal enough to cause a probelm. I can use an external aerial, but the TTONE mount is useless and the 510/710/910 is too big!

I simply want to be sure that all of the latest maps are supported on TT5 and then I can think about paying/activating them!

Jon

Not going to comment on the ethics but..

MOWE (V660) on my PDA is less than 1GB but it may be bigger for your version on Palm - can't remember the size for V5.21 on my PDA - but I'm sure it was less than 1Gb as I only have one 2Gb card - and that is fairly new.

Don't know what you mean by the seamless (ie MOWE) is missings loads of maps - some detail is removed in order to get the mapping down to a size (below 1Gb?) but no roads are removed. You could go for individual maps but then you can't plan end to end journeys across borders.

A quick look at the compatibility list published in the sticky area of this forum reveals that V562 are the only ones that have been reported as working on your release of the s/w.

Problem you have is that even if you can get newer maps that are seen by your device - you may not be able to unlock them when you get around to it.

Many of the GARMIN nuvi range have the facility for connection of an external GPS aerial - and they are certainly neater than the Go x10's

At the end of the day; look at the problems you are having upgrading the maps now - think of the trouble it's going to be in the future - probably won't see V6 on PALM. Whether we like it or not TomTom on PDAs is probably near the end of life - too many versions to support, problems with piracy etc are going to force people like TT out of that particular market.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because there are activation key generators out there, doesn't mean that I am going to use them!!

Its a bit like walking into a shop.. Picking up and item.. Walking around with it and then being accused of steeling it before even being given chance to pay!

I bought TT4.. I paid for the upgrade to TT5.. I then bought the 635 maps.. I am now simply looking for the next step to give me another years use out fo my Palm before I move on.

Trust me, I dearly want to get rid of my Palm solution and move to a standalone (Which of course I will buy), but I can't because my car has a heat-reflective windscreen which has already caused problems with my Bluetooth GPS (Which i now have in the REAR window), and also with a TomTomONE which I have been playing with.

I can't go to TT6 because its not supported, so I turned to TomTom for help and they have been useless.. They told me on several occasions that I could use 675 on my TT5 based Palm and finally when I TOLD them they were wrong, they went away to check and never came back!

I simply don't trust anything they tell me.. I have even referred back to the 'Matrix' of maps which are supported and 660 is not ticked for 5.201.

So what am I ment to do other than try for myself.

Don't worry about it.. I think I have worked it out for myself, so I well remain branded as a thief and move on! Why is everyone here so defensive about this subject? I have already shelved out loads of money to TomTom and will continue to do so.. But conversely I don't to waste money now, buying maps which i am not sure will work on my device!

All the best

Jon
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a re-radiating aerial for your car, one part goes outside under some plastic trim or even on the bodywork in an appropriate place and the other end goes somewhere inside your car and retransmits (at a higher level) the GPS signals in the car which can then be picked up by any GPS device. I use one.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easier than that.. There is a area above the rear view mirror which dramatically increases the signal once the GPS moved underneath it, so a £15 external ariel would do the trick..

BUT.. It would require an extra cable, which for me makes the TTONE unsable.. This would mean connecting the power AND aerial each time I take the unit off the mount (which fro me is about 3-4 times per day (as I don't leave it on display, even when going into a shop)).

What I need is something with a 'dock'... The 510/710/910 would be ideal.. BUT.. It may be a little too big..

I am still thinking about going for a 510, but I miss the idea of having something nice and portable to take with me...

What I am waiting for is a TomTomOne with some kind of 'dock' capability... Either that, or a 'BlueTooth' solution which could integrate with my existing BlueTooth GPS which is under the back (clear) window!

Jon
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry MrT.. I read your reply again and understand what you are saying.. A 're-rediating' aerial?.. That sound ideal.. I havn't heard of one before, but fully understand what you are talking about... Thats a very good idea.

I will look into it.

Jon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Re-Rad is a great way around your problem, unfortunately they were deemed illegal to use last year, see this Announcement - shame as it would be the ideal way around your problem, I didn't prescribe one due to the Offcom stance on their use, unless you are using the device for military purposes or testing products intended for supply to the military these units are no longer available for sale, you might find one on e-bay though Wink - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the law was recently modified for low power transmissions and this was forced through by increase in popularity for iPods talking to car and home audio systems by radio?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: