Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map v660.1219. Worth an upgrade on a TomTom ONE?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map v660.1219. Worth an upgrade on a TomTom ONE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Map v660.1219. Worth an upgrade on a TomTom ONE? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just bought a new TomTom ONE Regional (UK & ROI) and it came with map version v660.1219.

Can someone tell me if this is the Navteq or TeleAtlas map? Is it running the latest map version, or would I be best off asking TomTom for a free update to v675? I've heard a few people on the forums saying they sometimes give a free update if you're running v660.

Is it even worth it, or am I better off sticking with my v660.1219? I've tried to follow some of the threads that have already discussed this, but they all seem to be talking about the Western Europe version, whereas I've just got the UK & ROI Regional edition (doesn't include major roads of Western Europe.

Thanks for your help.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Regional variants have always used TeleAtlas
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, cheers for the reply. I've just asked TomTom if I'm entitled to a free map update anyway, and they said they're dealing with it (unusually quick to reply!), so I'll wait and see if I get it. And if I do, then I'll decide if I actually want to install it!
leerichards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing comments about the UK only maps and whether users think the upgrade from 660 to 675 is worth it.

Lee
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read on another forum where a person says there are fewer roads on the latest and cited an example where roads on an estate were now missing but were on the older version
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are those comments just about the Western Europe version?

From what I've read, it's the Western Europe map that has been squashed (to fit it into 1GB) with consequent detail reduction and, it seems, even some roads missing.

The new Western and Central Europe version hasn't had it's detail reduced

And I haven't seen any posts that specifically say they are about the UK and Eire version.

It's so hard to get definitive answers, if anyone has any specific details of roads that have disappeared, post them up (along with which of the three maps it is) so others can check on one of the other versions.
jellywobbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using v660.1219 on my TomTom One v2 (Regional) even tho I have got a free upgrade from TomTom to the equivalent 675.1409 map.

The 675.1409 maps seems (initially) to be less accurate locally; it tries to make me take turns that just dont exist! Thanks goodness I didnt pay for it! (The 660.1219 map does not do this)

(Having said that I am "playing" with Igo My Way on my works iPaq6910 & I am directed to the very same non existant roads as with the TT One / 675.1409 maps. I wonder if the maps are from the same manufacturer!!)

There are a lot of ppl, on the web, complaining about the accuracy of the 675.1409 maps (not just UK or Europe), so maybe there is a "global" problem.

I'll stick with v660.1219 for the time being, which I am told is currently the best UK map.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions. It's all academic at the moment anyway, as TomTom still haven't got back to me about the free update. Sounds like I'm better off sticking with what I've got for now anyway!
jellywobbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voice_of_reason wrote:
Thanks for the opinions. It's all academic at the moment anyway, as TomTom still haven't got back to me about the free update. Sounds like I'm better off sticking with what I've got for now anyway!

Out of interest ... you (& I) have got TeleAtlas maps with our GB version of TomTom One v2 .. BUT .. the European version comes with NavTeq v660.1256 maps (which many claim are better) .. these maps are also supplied with TomTom Rider!

Interestingly, the Navteq v660.1256 maps do NOT send me down any non-existant local roads as per the TeleAtlas maps???

Weird eh?
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'non-existent' roads (and presumably you mean roads that appear on the map but don't actually exist), do these roads have names on the map? Are they real roads that are positioned incorrectly on the map, or just 'extra' roads that shoudn't be there?
jellywobbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have been clearer ... what I meant was " .. turn left in 300yds .. then turn right ..." voice prompts for roads that just arent there now (were there about 7-8 years ago tho!).

I dont get these if I use v660.1256 (NavTeq maps).

Hope this clarifies things ;)

P.S. these roads dont appear on the map!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: