Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT2 and Tosh e800
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT2 and Tosh e800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: TT2 and Tosh e800 Reply with quote

After much deliberation, am now interested in buying Toshiba e 800 PDA to use with TomTom Navigator 2. Does anyone know if they are compatible please and whether a connecting cable for this combination exists? As may be known, the e800's main feature is its larger screen and higher resolution of 640X480. I understand that very little software currently supports this higher resolution and I wonder if TT2 does support it? The e800 can run in emolution mode at the lowrer resolution, but I understand this makes the pixels more visible and the image less sharp -will TT2 at least work in this lower res. mode? Would be garteful for any thouights please. Thanks. Tony
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom works just fine with the higher resolution. And if you use a blueTooth GPS receiver then you also don't have the cable problem ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: TT2 and Tosh e800 Reply with quote

Thank you, Lutz. That's great news. If I get the BT version as you suggest, presumably, the only cable I'll need to use in my setup is the Tosh's own power cable?

Thanks again.

Tony
DICKY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: E800 (BT) with TomTom 2 and a Fortuna Clip On. Reply with quote

Tony

I have just purchased an E800 (BT) with TomTom 2 and a Fortuna Clip On.
The resolution and screen image is excellent, but be warned I have not been able to get the Toshiba Bluetooth manager to communicate with the Fortuna Clip On receiver.

The E800 I have shipped with MS Pocket PC version 4.20.1081 build 13100 and Toshiba Blue Tooth Settings Version 4 for Pocket PC 2003 build 20031002.

The documentation shipped with the Fortuna is (in my humble opinion, as a GPS novice) Crying or Very sad very poor and Toshiba have been a nightmare to contact to try and resolve the BT manager problem.

The Bluetooth software will allow a device search which correctly discovers the ClipOn-BTGPS unit. Unfortunately on activating the “update service” function the displays consistently shows “not connected” despite entering the recommended 0000 bluetooth passcode. The device code shown is 00:0a:84:00:42:30.

For some unknown reason the device attribute shows Remote Server Service with a Not connected connection status.

Having struggled for two days to resolve the issue I am at a loss as what to do next.

The annoying thing is that I known the display quality will be excellent if I could only get the Fortuna and the E800 to talk to each other.

Any suggestions from other forum users would be gratefully received.

Regards
Mark

United Kingdom
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: TT2 and Tosh e800 Reply with quote

Dicky,
Thanks for your comments. Hope someone more experienced than I in these matters will be able to help you. But I had heard so many horror stories about difficulty for inexperts in making BT connections plus the frailty of such connections that, being a newbie, I was going to play it safe and go for something with a physical connection, preferably by CF slot for mobility. If anyone on this site has experience of connecting Tosh e800 + TT2 + CF GPS, I'd be grateful for any comments please. In case anyone else is interested, I asked TomTom whether their own BT GPS kit would be compatible with a Tosh e800 and they said they are still testing this combination. They added that their wired unit has already been tested with the e800 and it is definitely compatible -this will be posted on their website in the next few days.
Tony
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: TT2 and Tosh e800 Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
TomTom works just fine with the higher resolution. And if you use a blueTooth GPS receiver then you also don't have the cable problem ;-)

Please see following exchange of emails with Expansys in which they say that that the e800 Bluetooth is not compatible with TT2 Bluetooth. I find this incredible with two new supposedly 'state of the art' products at this late stage of Bluetooth maturity and development. Is it possible that Expansys are mistaken ? Are you likely to be testing these two obvious GPS partners together in the near future or do you have any other comment please?

QUOTE:

From Expansys:
Yes we do know otherwise. As far as we are aware the Tom Tom Blueooth unit is not compatible with the e800, even the bluetooth version.

Regards

Helen
-----Original Message-----
From: tony bond [mailto:tony-bond@deo-gratias.fsnet.co.uk]
Sent: 04 March 2004 15:26
To: Helen Berry
Subject: Re: PDA & GPS

Dear Ms Berry,

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear originally, but the Toshiba e800 I am thinking of buying from you is the Bluetooth version, not the WiFi version to which your link refers. The seven GPS options you list are all CF-slot-based but, if I buy the Bluetooth version of the e 800, I shouldn't be limited to CF-slot-based GPS units; there would seem to be no obvious reason why the Toshiba e800 Blootooth shouldn't be compatible with TomTom Navigator 2 Bluetooth -do you definitely know otherwise please?

Regards,

Tony Bond
----- Original Message -----
To: tony bond
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: PDA & GPS

Dear Sir,

I am afraid that it is not compatible. Please see the following units that we do reccomend for use with the e800;

http://www.expansys.com/accessory.asp?code=108334&atype=GPS

Regards

eXpansys
-----Original Message-----
From: tony bond [mailto:tony-bond@deo-gratias.fsnet.co.uk]
Posted At: 03 March 2004 16:09
Posted To: Sales Inbox
Conversation: PDA & GPS
Subject: PDA & GPS

Dear Sirs,

I am thinking of buying from you the Toshiba e800 PDA and the TomTom Navigator 2 Bluetoooth GPS (part PCS-PDA-2152, ref 105350) but don't know whether they will work together. Do you know or are you able to check with both manufacturers please ? If I buy them and then find they don't work together, what is your returns policy please ?

Yours faithfully,

Tony Bond
DICKY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: the nightmare continues Reply with quote

Tony, thanks for your reply.

For your information I was told by PDAMOD.COM (I actually visited their premises) that the Fortuna Unit and my e800 would work, this is blatantly not the case :x .

I have also had a nightmare connecting other Bluetooth devices to the e800. Interestingly I did manage to connect the Fortuna Clip On (BT GPS receiver) to my Toshiba tablet PC via the Bluetooth control centre, feeding GPS data into AutoRoute 2004. This worked well but highlighted (in my opinion) the appalling performance of the Fortuna unit (1 hour 15 minutes to lock, and the unit kept losing lock around London). I tried switching to the XT mode but the unit in this instance refused to lock!! I am very frustrated as the device had a good review on this site.

I have to say that like yourself I am very tempted just to dismiss the idea of Bluetooth all together and switch to a either a

Fortuna GPS-PocketXtrack card
Pretec CompactGPS Card

However, following other various e800 threads I note that some users have experienced incompatibility issues with TomTom2 and Pocket PC 2003 (which I believe ships with the e800).

Does anyone out there have knowledge of a fully working version of TomTom 2 and a Toshiba e800 in any configuration?

mark
United Kingdom
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I haven't seen the e800 threads you mention, but here's my exchange of emails with TomTom. As you see, in one email they say that they have tested the e800 with the wired version of TT2 and that it works but, in another email, they say there isn't a cable yet to connect the two devices! One wonders how they tested the combination. Taking what they say at face value, the answer to your last question appears to be that the only known way of getting TT2 on an e800 is using TT2's own wired GPS unit and, presumably, the connecting cable from an e400or e750 would work.

I do hope that as these two products are an obvious 'dream team', GPS World will take an early opportunity to check out this combination and update their 4/03 test which was based on now relatively old hardware.

Cheers,

Tony
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Sorry, I forgot to append TT2's emails in my posting a moment ago. Here they are now.

In response to your recent question to our customer support team, please find below a summary of your question and our response.

To update your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
I am thinking of buying the new Toshiba e800 PDA which, as you know, has a la...

Discussion Thread
Response 05/03/2004 04:33 PM
Dear Mr bond,

Unfortunately it is not possible to buy direclty from us because as you have seen it doesn't appears yet. As soon as it will be available it will be possible to buy direclty, maybe you can try in those other buying option (under the buy now bottom).

Another option is if you can wait a week or a couple of weeks and you will be able to see the availability and also if we have received any new information for the bluetooth version.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibility.php?ID=31&Language=1

We recommend that you register on our web site and sign up for our newsletter, so we can keep you informed about future releases and upgrades as soon as they will be available.

We only have the Connector cable for Toshiba e330/e740/e750:
https://www.tomtomshop.com/secure/viewcart.php?add=3000.525

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 03/03/2004 05:50 PM
Thank you for that information. If I buy the wired version, which cable would be suitable for connection to the Toshiba e800 please? When do you think you will have tested the Bluetooth version please, if I decide to wait for this?

Regards,

Tony Bond
Response 03/03/2004 05:01 PM
Dear Mr bond,

The toshiba E800 has been tested with the wired version and it works (it will probably appear in the website in few days) but you could already buy it because it will work fine.

Unfortunately we don't know anything about the wirelees version because we are also working hard to see if it could work, like in new devices, but it has not been tested yet.
We recommend that you register on our web site and sign up for our newsletter, so we can keep you informed about future releases and upgrades.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 02/03/2004 05:05 PM
I am thinking of buying the new Toshiba e800 PDA which, as you know, has a larger screen than other PDAs and runs at 640X480 resolution. Does TomTom Navigator 2 support this higher resolution please ? I understand that the Tohiba e 800 can be made to run at the standard resolution but that this emulation makes the pixels more prominent and reduces image clarity. Will TomTom Navigator2 work in this emulated mode if it doesn't work at the higher resolution?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Tony Bond
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: TT2 and Tosh e800 Reply with quote

Mark,
I don't know if it's reported elsewhere in this forum -and, if so, apologies for giving you old news- but my spies have just told me that TomTomNavigator 3 is shipping in a couple of weeks, with native Bluetooth support; would you believe, its accessories will include an e800 car kit. Which, in turn, suggests that it will have specific drivers for the e800. Therefore looks like TomTom were being economical with the truth in what they said to me before. Hopefully, they'll offer people in your situation a free, or at least nominally priced, upgrade.
Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: