Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lat/ Long for the two places of interst are:

N36.34362, W5.24560
N36.34147, W5.23876

I will grab some screen shots later (unless someone beats me to it) - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pritch wrote:
I have a 2GB card in my 710 which I bought in preparation for needing the Central European Maps. I wanted to wait for the new maps to come out before buying, rather than paying twice, so here goes...!!

Now the question: If I bought the Maps of Western and Central Europe, which is normally for the 910, is there a reason why it wouldn't work on my 710?

Also, would I need to reinput all my favourites, or could I transfer them across by renaming the file?

The new map for 710 is just one - it covers only "western europe" as far as Austria and Germany - there is no Central Europe map. (For my GO700, the map was called "Western and Central Europe" and it goes further east - Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland). There is a difference in the size of the download file for the 710 and the 910. The 910 download is 1700Mb (same as for my 700) compared to 944Mb for the 710. I suspect if you bought the 910 map it wouldn't install on the 710.
The new (710) map would NOT install on my 2Gb card until I deleted the old map folder (so I copied the whole lot to my computer hard disk - using Win Explorer, not TT backup).
Copy your current MapSettings.cfg (from the present map folder) and paste it into the new map folder to carry over your settings and favourites.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
johnthai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a TT One v2 Regional a couple of weeks ago and guess what the map is now out of date as of yesterday, I have no chance of an update as my connection is much too slow so I guess I am stumped.
camel_face69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnthai wrote:
Bought a TT One v2 Regional a couple of weeks ago and guess what the map is now out of date as of yesterday, I have no chance of an update as my connection is much too slow so I guess I am stumped.

I too am in the same position as you. I purchased mine 12 days before the new maps were released. I am currently taking the matter up with TomTom and suggest you do the same :x
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's reasonable to complain if you, like me, waited and waited for the previous update that was eventually release a few months ago.

Am I mistaken or were the updated maps the same as the ones shipped on the 510/710/910 range, meaning they were already 6+ months out of date when TomTom sold them to use at a cheaper rate?

Now 3 months later there are bang up to date versions available...

Umm, maybe I am mistaken.

Ker..ching for TomTom is all I can say, but I don't think I'll be spending another £100 for updated UK and USA maps again, that was a lot the first time.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel_face69 wrote:
johnthai wrote:

I too am in the same position as you. I purchased mine 12 days before the new maps were released. I am currently taking the matter up with TomTom and suggest you do the same :x

You've got more chance of getting a ticket to outer space for free, i talked to a bloke from tomtom for at least 15 minutes yesterday trying to get them to give me an upgrade to my 14 day old 910. They just don't want to know.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right 2nd time lucky.

Of the above two photos, the top one is map v568.0 (Oldest) and the bottom one is v660.1219 (Newest). Also notice how the dark green from the old map is missing on the newer map. The area of the two snapshots is quite high above sea level.

Again the old map is at the top and the newer map is at the bottom with the missing streets.

Thanks to Tim Buxton and OldBoy for the advice.
johnthai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="andydigital44"]
camel_face69 wrote:
johnthai wrote:

You've got more chance of getting a ticket to outer space for free, i talked to a bloke from tomtom for at least 15 minutes yesterday trying to get them to give me an upgrade to my 14 day old 910. They just don't want to know.

I have got my reply from TT, I mentioned that my connection was too slow to download and they told me I could buy the map on DVD, I thought they were only available via download.
wadialdoor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the GB new map v6.75

What a waste of money my road which is a 5 years old still dose not exist in the new map

So I strongly do not advice anyone to buy the new maps

Regards
camel_face69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
camel_face69 wrote:
johnthai wrote:

Don't know about the free ticket to space but I sure as hell have got my new map for nowt, zero, diddley squat!! They sent me a promotion code which gave me a free download from the website. Cheers TomTom. Laughing
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, how did you contact tomtom.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel_face69 wrote:

Don't know about the free ticket to space but I sure as hell have got my new map for nowt, zero, diddley squat!! They sent me a promotion code which gave me a free download from the website. Cheers TomTom. Laughing

Well i've just rang up CS again and i mentioned that you were given a promotion code to use on the website to get a free map, and he told me that you are not telling the truth because there are no promotion codes for the new maps. His words not mine.

Its just my luck i only bought it 2 weeks ago. 2 times i have rung now and been really nice on the phone and still no luck, this time they told me to send it back to Amazon and tell them i'm not happy with the out of date map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrzipy wrote:
I think it's reasonable to complain if you, like me, waited and waited for the previous update that was eventually release a few months ago.

Am I mistaken or were the updated maps the same as the ones shipped on the 510/710/910 range, meaning they were already 6+ months out of date when TomTom sold them to use at a cheaper rate?

Well they were very similar - and remember, when the 28th November map updates were released, TT told all x10 owners that they already had the most up to date maps. Running the two side by side (GO700 with 28th November map, GO710 bought new 1st December) some differences I noticed were inaccuracies with the speed limits - each of them got it right at places where the other got it wrong - they took it in turns at being right/wrong. They sometimes disagreed on routing (I always set them both to the same destination), which would indicate some differences, but that might have been the speed limit? What I thought significant was that on my 710, the map folder contents seemed to be files dated February 2006 (when the new x10 range was announced, but not yet released). PLUS the new (eventually 28th November maps) were originally promised for April 2006.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:

Again the old map is at the top and the newer map is at the bottom with the missing streets.

Thanks to Tim Buxton and OldBoy for the advice.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the gurus here to teach me how to do screen shots, so magic writing will have to do.

Regarding your first and second pictures - GO710 new 675 map (Western Europe) shows Calle da Altavista linking only to Calle Del Almendro. On the GO700 675 map (Western Europe and Central Europe) Altavista also has an unnamed road running south east from junction with Carril El Tomillar, plus a link from Almendro to Calle Del Palmito.

Regarding 3rd and 4th pictures, the 710 map has nothing east of Autovia Del Mediterraneo, whereas GO700 has at least as many if not more unnamed roads in layout as shown by your 4th picture.

Tim and Richard - I do hope one or other of you will be at Sandown Park this weekend complete with a buncha notes on how an older person can get screen shots. Twisted Evil My French isn't up to all this!

forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have just found a really new bit. The A419/A420 junction at Swindon has been rebuilt recently, indeed they hadn't completely lifted the cones and temporary speed limits last time I drove it a couple of weeks ago, but that new flyover is on the new map.

The junction you mention is now fully operational with all tempory speed limits and cones removed

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: