Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Importing a Garmin handheld from the US
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing a Garmin handheld from the US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Importing a Garmin handheld from the US Reply with quote

I've owned Garmin handhelds for years and they've always been good (and Garmin Customer Service always exceptional), but I've decided to change the eTrex Legend for a 60Csx as the screen is just too small.

Normally I'd be happy to support UK retailers by buying over here, but the difference in price in the US is just incredible! The best UK price I've found so far is £380 delivered, but PCnation.com will sell me one for just $342. I've not done any detailed sums, but I reckon even when I add international shipping, import duty and VAT it's still going to be a ~lot~ cheaper than the UK.

The fact that the basemap will be a US one isn't a problem really as I'll probably get the UK topo map. If not, I think Garmin's Worldmap product is the equivalent of the standard built-in basemap, and that only costs around $40.

So the question: Is there a downside? Has anyone done this and had problems?
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 60Csx in USA.
It has the US basemap and came with a free MetroGuide Europe v7
Topo is not really suitable for road navigation due to all the contour lines!

Three screenshots of my unit:-
CityNavigator v9
GB Topo
US Basemap

fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, and for the screenshots - I see what you mean, the topo maps would be a bit of a pain to use on the road!

One further question on the 60csx: is it correct to assume that you can load both City Nav and Topo maps onto the memory card (assuming you have enough space) and then just switch between them?
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have on the micro SD:-
parts of CityNavigator Europe v9
parts of GB Topo v2 [over rated]
parts of MetroGuide NA v7
11,700 speed cameras.

Internally:-
US BaseMap
American Marine Basemap

The screenshots were of Tenby[West Wales]
There is little point in loading on the SD card any areas you are not likely to visit.
I use one 512MB SD card for normal use and a 1GB for my European holidays.
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looks like a purchase from the US is on.

I'm tempted to buy a 2Gb micro SD card for it as they are now only £18 from 7dayshop, but there is that nagging doubt that the 60 series can't cope with a card that big. Mind you, I don't believe Garmin say that the 60 series works with a 1Gb card, but AFAIK nobody has reported any problems...
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And forgot to ask: why do you reckon that the Topo GB V2 is over rated? Too expensive for what you get??
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paths are incomplete on the Pembrokeshire Coast, they get hidden behind the contour lines.

The value on the PC is apalling as you can only see a small selection at a time and you cannot print the maps. Unless you are a 'serious' walker it will be difficult to justify the cost.

PM me a location of interest to you, and I will post the screenshot of the location!
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice. I'll have to think carefully before buying the topo map. I'm not really a ~serious~ walker, but mostly I would use the handheld on the hills in Wales and Scotland where the contours would I guess be handy. I'll probably stick with TomTom on my Palm T3 for road navigation (despite the annoying map errors).

If you get a chance, would be interested in seeing a screenshot of Sgurr Alasdair on Skye (Southwest corner, directly North of the isle of Soay). Does it show the Great Stone Chute?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Topo is not really suitable for road navigation due to all the contour lines!

Can you switch the topo lines off or change it so it doesn't show them at higher zoom levels? I think you can on the Quest but I don't have topo on it so I don't know.

Also, I think Garmin allow you to download the Worldwide Routable Basemap which was intended for use on the iQue but I think you can use it on any device.

The thing to watch for is that the Europe maps can be expensive to buy. If the UK model you are buying comes with EU maps then this is why it's more expensive than the USA model. If it doesn't come with maps then go right ahead and buy the USA one.
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, AFAIK it does not come with any decent maps, just the (US) basemap. Hence my interest in buying it plus some more detailed UK maps. If you know of any good deals on UK maps that will work with the 60 csx please let me know!

Thanks...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: