Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to open CoPilot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to open CoPilot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredandConfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Unable to open CoPilot Reply with quote

Bought Co Pilot live 5 this week and installed via the Quick Start Sd card on my Dell Axim X50v. Ran fine until I set up two trips on my PC and tried using Data Download Wizard to put them on the Axim. Now I get the following message: - "Unable to open CoPilot. Please make sure the compact flash card is inserted or that the data has been properly downloaded."

I have tried removing the software from the Axim and reinstalling from the CD on a couple of occassions but with no luck.

Has anyone got any suggestions?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that you are trying to get the SD card to update while it is in the Pocket PC, rather than in a Card reader.

While I am not in anyway suggesting that it is not possible to do it that way - I have never suceeded either!

I ALWAYS create the files using the Data Download wizard to the PC. Provided that the Pocket PC is not connected to the PC you will be able to write the files to the HD - the wizard creates 'copilot', and '2577' folders in the root of whichever drive you select.

I then delete the old 'copilot' and '2577' folders on the SD card, before copying the new folders to it. I use a card reader rather than Active Sync - it is much quicker.

I would suggest removing Copilot (and Pocket speech) from the Pocket PC before you start (along with a soft reset).

When you insert the SD card into the Pocket PC - it should automatically load. NB after installation - do a soft reset.

Now for the trips:
I am using the UK version - so I don't know if the following works on others:

When a trip is saved in the desktop version, it is saved in 'C:\Program Files\CoPilot\PocketPC5\EU\Save' with the name trip.trp where 'trip' is whatever name you chose when you saved it . I copy the trip file(s) to the \copilot\save folder on the SD card.

I don't know if this is the 'best' way to do it - just that it is quick and works for me every time.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if somehow the map data on the SD card has got corrupted when the trips were downloaded. I have managed to download the map data via activesynch but as Neil01 says, it takes a looooong time (it took 2 hrs on my PC last time but it is steam driven). If what Neil says doesn't work try reloading the whole map data using the data download wizard, making sure you tick the box to create a quick install. Copilot doesn't start unless it can find map data on the storage card. Regarding the trips, create them on the pc and then copy the trp files over to the storage card after.

Dave
TiredandConfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for the advice Wink .

I did exactly as Neil said and I have CoPilot working again. Pocket Speech has reloaded but I don't appear to have any voice guidance.

As I am a UK user should I install the Wav file for the female voice?

Andrew
lavenham14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: No voice Reply with quote

Try copying your old language .cfg file back to the 2577 folder on your ppc, it worked for me.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'language.cfg' file is in the '\copilot' folder in the Pocket PC's main memory. If yours is the same, you may need to change it there. However I will be testing to see if putting it into the 2577 directory makes it work for me - it would be great if it did.

If you don't have an old (correct) version of the file, just copy it (via the explore function in active sync) back to your PC and open it in notepad. You will see that it points to a directory you don't have. This needs to be changed. The language also needs to be changed from 'US' to 'UK' English.

Below is a copy of what the file should look like:

[RelativeDirectories]
"TTSDir"="/pocket speech\mle01\ukenglish\roger132"

[Settings]
"Current Language"="UK English"

When you have changed it, copy the changed file back to the '\copilot' folder in the Pocket PC's main memory (via the explore function in active sync), do a soft reset and it should work.

PS It is probably a good idea to always have a copy of the language.cfg file handy.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried copying the language.cfg file into the 2577 dirctory - no luck - didn't work - shame!

CoPilot v5.0.1.48 (Upgrade downloaded from ALK website) on MIO 168 Windows Mobile 2003 (first edition)

One thing that happens on mine when I install from the quickstart, is that copilot.arm2003.cab is deleted after installation completes. This can be prevented if the file's attribute is set to read-only before installation.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, to re-install TTS just follow this link

To copy WAV and TTS to your Storage card, follow this link

Make sure that when you are re-installing voice that you goto START | SETTINGS | SYSTEM | REMOVE PROGRAMS and unisntall either the Pocket Speech (which is TTS) or COPILOT WAVES (Female WAV) and then soft reset the device before proceeding with the links above.
TiredandConfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Speech on CoPilot Live 5 Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I managed to get the TTs to work and have just returned from a trip to Gloucester and Wales via central London. Voice commands worked well but I am not overly fond of the American accent.

Many thanks

Andrew

Laughing
murrayalex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am trying to get this CoPilot thing working too and get that "unable to open CoPilot" message.
I copied my files to a new SD card, using WE to uncheck and check the various file options as previosuly mentioned. I then copied the files to a new sd card, used the desktop app's Data Download Wizard to download the map files to the pc hard drive, then copied them to the sd car via a card reader.
No joy, the app still won't load on the xda orbit.
I have all three of the files - 2577, COPILOT and CoPilot Pocketpc listed seperately in the "Progamme Files" folder....should they all be in the one File? Or are they in the wrong directory? CoPilot Pocket was put there by the installation cd so it must be okay but I've no idea where the other 2 should be!
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Unable to Open Copilot Reply with quote

Dave,

Glad to see you are alive and well - and still employed by Alk. Your second link (to install speech on a storage card) results in an error on my computer. Could you look at it and re-send it? Thanks.
G.W. Quigley (Rubberman)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: