Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 on an iPaq 2210 with Bluetooth GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 on an iPaq 2210 with Bluetooth GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: TT5 on an iPaq 2210 with Bluetooth GPS? Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully used TomTom Navigator 5 on an iPaq h2210 with a Bluetooth GPS unit?

I was running TT2 with Bluetooth fine, albeit I had to do use the driver tweak helpfully recommended on this site to force TomTom to play ball with OziExplorer.

I recently upgraded to TomTom Navigator 5. Now neither TomTom nor OziExplorer will work with either of my two Bluetooth GPS units. I've followed all the support advice I could find on TomTom's site without success (including, surprisingly, telling TT5 that the GPS was a wired unit). After reading advice here, I tried deleting the GPS unit, re-adding it and pairing it again. No success. I can connect manually from the Bluetooth Manager, but cannot access either GPS via software.

I contacted TomTom's technical support. They replied today. They gave a link to a list of devices that are compatible with TomTom Navigator 5. They then said that they regretted to inform me that my device "is not compatible with our navigation software".

However their compatibility list does include my PDA.

Any advice anyone can give will be appreciated.

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What GPS device are you using and is the output set to NMEA (as is required) or SiRF mode which would work with some nav software but not TomTom v5, there is an easy way to switch the mode, but lets know the GPS unit first as not all devices will sport SiRF mode - Mike
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm using a similar setup to yours and can confirm that this combination works well.

I use Franson GpsGate, which allows me to run several apps at once all connected to the one bluetooth GPS receiver. The 2210 copes fine with say TomTom, OziExplorer and Speed Sentry all running together.

As I use GpsGate my settings for TomTom will not match yours, but the key settings for connecting to my bluetooth GPS receiver are:

COM Port: COM8
Speed: 38400

Have you checked whether you're not getting a connection, or getting one but the GPS receiver doesn't have a position fix?
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Hi Mike,

I have an old Navman GPS 4400 and also a new Qstarz BTQ818. No doubt an elementary question, but how do I configure the output? (They both worked with TT2.)

Hi Barry,

I tried those settings and still no joy. I wonder if it's worth my while looking at GPSGate?

-----

General update. After I told them that my 2210 IS on their compatible list, I've received another response from TomTom Tech Support. Now they tell me to follow the directions on this webpage:
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=navigator+5&FID=4806
"How to manually configure NAVIGATOR 5 for Bluetooth GPS on QTEK/MDA/XDA/Orange/i-mate running Windows Mobile 5.0"

So it's not directly relevant, but it does seem similar to the the appropriate PDA page that I'd already told them I'd followed without success.

Hmmm...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of my post Here which details how to switch from SiRF to NMEA - Mike
gimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: TT5 and GPS problem Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem with my Qtek 9100. I'm trying to get TT5 to recognise my Sirf111 Gps reciver but to no avail. If I try to select an outgoing port in my BT manager as has been suggested, I get a choice of com6 or 7. As the incoming port is com 7, I select com 6. I the get a message saying 'com port could not be created. Check setings and try again'. My old BTG 7000 worked fine but this new device (no brand name!) just won't play ball. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 and GPS problem Reply with quote

gimp wrote:
I'm having a similar problem with my Qtek 9100. I'm trying to get TT5 to recognise my Sirf111 Gps reciver but to no avail. If I try to select an outgoing port in my BT manager as has been suggested, I get a choice of com6 or 7. As the incoming port is com 7, I select com 6. I the get a message saying 'com port could not be created. Check setings and try again'. My old BTG 7000 worked fine but this new device (no brand name!) just won't play ball. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Usual way is to:

Pair the GPS with the PDA

Create New Incoming Serial Port (Yes - it sounds a little counter-intuitive but it is an incoming connection you require - the GPS is making the request to send data to the PDA)

Use this port number in TomTom Other Wireless GPS config.

You should be working

For my TomTom SiRFIII GPS on AXIM with WM5 I use COM7:

From what you said it sounds as if you already have a pairing made on COM7: which may mean that you have already got this bit set up. Try selecting COM7: in TomTom.

I suggest you clear down ALL BT pairings for your GPS unit(s) and start from scratch.
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the TTN GPS driver 2.06 and installed it. It looks familiar from before the TT5 upgrade...

However, it won't connect to my Bluetooth GPS unit.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: TT5 and GPS problem Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might look familiar but have you folowed the guide to make sure the GPS is actually transmitting NMEA data and not SiRF? - TomTom version 5 or above will only understand NMEA data, earlier versions would understand SiRF mode, so if it used to work and now it doesn't the odds are the data mode is incorrect from the GPS - have another read of the link I posted previously - Mike
gimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: TT5 and gps reciever problem Reply with quote

I've followed the various links and suggestions.Tried ttgps.206 but no joy. Nothing seems to work. My previous receiver, a BTG 7000 worked fine but this new, unbranded unit simply described as a 'Sirf 111 receiver' from Mobile fun won't connect to TT. The TT version I'm using is v5.210.I'm thinking of returning the reciever and buying an NMEA device in the hope that this will cure the problem unless someone can ome up with any other tips. Thanks to everyone who subscribes for the help so far.
gimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Sirf receiver problems Reply with quote

Update on my problem with the Sirf 111 reciever from Mobilefun. I'm sending the device back. Tried a Royaltek which connected with no problem and picked up several sats indoors. I reckon the Sirf 111 was faulty.
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

I tried the GPS driver 2.06 driver instructions repeatedly. I didn't see any data on the Status page. However, after switching between this, TT5 and occasional forays to Bluetooth Manager, eventually TT5 was working!

Excellent! All went well, the GPS device was getting quick satellite fixes and TT5 was connecting quickly to the GPS unit each time it launched and navigating well. I was happy.

Then I did a soft reset after a backup. All bets were off. Again TT5 could no longer find the Bluetooth GPS. More playing around with GPS 2.06 and eventually TT5 found the GPS again. I then tried a soft reset and all was lost again. I tried for ages trying to find a repeatable working method that would enable me to set up everything manually again quickly and predictably after a reset, but to no avail.

After re-reading this thread, I downloaded a trial version of Franson GpsGate. I ran the connection wizard, configured TT5 for the new port and everything just worked. I did a soft reset and no problem, everything was still working.

So, it looks like I have a solution that works. Thanks to all who offered advice and gave me things to try. Without that, I think I would have given up and restored TT2 from a backup.

As for TomTom's technical advice service, after giving me two erroneous responses, on 22nd March I received the following message:

"We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department.
Please be patient and thank you for your query.
With Best Regards
TomTom Customer Support Team"

I've yet to receive anything more, so I guess the 2nd line technical department must be either baffled or very busy.

Thanks again to all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: