Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route 66 Chicago 6000 Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route 66 Chicago 6000 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Route 66 Chicago 6000 Questions Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've recently bought a Chicago 6000 and think it's great overall but have a few questions:
1: Is it possible to browse your planned route ?
2: I've run the speed cam update from the R66 website but am unsure if it's worked as I've not had chance to drive anywhere since - are the speed cams referred to as 'Section speed control' POI's?
3: Is there a postcode search add-on available?
4: Has anyone changed the alerts to voices/new sounds successfully?
5: Apparently the unit will navigate to contacts - do I have to enter them into the unit or should it sync from Outlook?

Any helpgreatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt.
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, also forgot to ask if there is a newer Navteq map available than the Q2 2006 that's pre-installed.

BTW, I have emailed cust services with these questions but not had a reply.

Thanks
Matt.
jonesy_ni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Route 66 Chicago 6000 Questions Reply with quote

mj74 wrote:
Hi there,

I've recently bought a Chicago 6000 and think it's great overall but have a few questions:
1: Is it possible to browse your planned route ?
2: I've run the speed cam update from the R66 website but am unsure if it's worked as I've not had chance to drive anywhere since - are the speed cams referred to as 'Section speed control' POI's?
3: Is there a postcode search add-on available?
4: Has anyone changed the alerts to voices/new sounds successfully?
5: Apparently the unit will navigate to contacts - do I have to enter them into the unit or should it sync from Outlook?

Any helpgreatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt.

Hi Matt, i browse the route before i go if i want to by going to "plan a route" This brings up a screen with the whole route on it and the icon with the red and green flags gives you directions.

If you follow the instructions for for route 66 speed cameras for the Pocket PC it will work a treat, you will need to set up the alerts from the chicago.

Postcode search works fine in "locations" in the "navigate to" menu, but you must put the space in the postcode.

I have not changed voices, but on the route 66 instructions i was able to put voices on for the speed cameras.

The navigating to contacts isnt possible i dont think as the unit does not have outlook installed.

Jonesy
jonesy_ni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Q2 2006 as far as i know is most recent for this device, if you ever plan to travel to Northern Ireland/Ireland it works brilliantly.
jonesy_ni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed camera instructions Here
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing to add is the downloads page for voice warnings which the site recently introduced (thanks Andy P2002).

It contains a collection of spoken alerts in the required ogg file format, whilst it says it is for TomTom products these files can also be used on the Route 66 devices - see Here for more details - Mike
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou both for your replies.
I have now added some voices to my camera POI's.
I have downloaded the speed camera updater from the Route 66 website and run it whilst the Chicago is connected to my pc via activesync. According to the instructions it is that simple so I'll try it today and see. The only confusing part is that in my POI list, there is a 'Section Speed Control, speed xx' list - I'm assuming these are speed cameras??

Also, has anyone had problems registering their PND on the website. I'm asked for a product key but only have a device ID.

Many thanks

Matt.
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, great news about the postcode search too! The only problem is, it doesn't seem to confirm the address once the postcode is entered. I found this feature really useful on my TomTom as sometimes the postcode may not match the street according to ther Royal Mail database, which I believe is what most use..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt - I don't know what the Route 66 cameras appear as in the software as I only use the database from this site on my units - and the Route 66 I use is PDA based, perhaps one of the other site members with the same hardware could assist - Mike
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Mike. I've found out that speed cameras are referred to as spped control, speed xx. Updated the camera database from route 66 website but after 1 planned route the PND seems to have deleted all my alarms and no longer alerts me to cameras!

Very annoying thing happened today as well - I planned my route by postcode but the chicago took me to completely the wrong place (the pnd postcode database must have errors in it as the postcode was correct). This re-iterates the importance of showing the address of the postcode you navigate to, which the chicago doesn't..

I've also found thay the routes planned by the chicago are not as good as those planned by tomtom 5 on my pocket pc. I'll give it one more chance and then it may be back to halfords to exchange for a tomtom!

Regards
Matt.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, Please have a quick read of This Page which shows how to get the Route 66 software to display the planned route - note it was on the PDA version of the software, try it on your hardware though and let us know. - Mike
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that's the way I'm browsing the route now. Still not as clear as the TT browse by text etc though.

Another thing I noticed today and yesterday is that the chicago was constantly losing the GPS signal and took around half an hour each time to lock again. Clear skies yesterday as well. I don't think I have a heat reflective windscreen but I am going to check with Saab. So many problems in so little time!!
sk8funk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj74 wrote:
Thanks Mike, that's the way I'm browsing the route now. Still not as clear as the TT browse by text etc though.

Another thing I noticed today and yesterday is that the chicago was constantly losing the GPS signal and took around half an hour each time to lock again. Clear skies yesterday as well. I don't think I have a heat reflective windscreen but I am going to check with Saab. So many problems in so little time!!

Hi just to let you know i have the same unit and to be honest i never had any problems with losing signal or taking a long time to lock, in fact it takes only few seconds in any weather. it sounds like you might have a faulty gps i guess
mj74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had so many problems with signal & software updates not working that I took it back and exchanged it for new TT1. No such problems now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: