Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660 GTM software updated to version 4.00!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660 GTM software updated to version 4.00!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you must have. Treat yourself to another read. Wink
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reporting in on my progress since the start of this thread.

Happy to report the TMC seems to lock on quicker and in the time exposed to a clear signal seems to generate a lot more messages.

Incidentally why cant we purchase a subscription for the TMC_INFO from ITIS Holdings. This would give a much more stable coverage in some of the 'dark areas' of Traffic master coverage.

Hand on Heart the current set-up is running at its best ever so far.

Seem to have lost the transmission from the winter hill transmitter though.

Good coverage in the St.Neots, Bedford, Nottingham and Grantham travelled to this week.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyc wrote:
Indeed you must have. Treat yourself to another read. Wink

I wasn't including those people that had been forced to alter their GTM-21 in any way...

Having said that I'm off down to my car with some wire in hand to do a bit of passive rewiring... And I'll see how that goes...
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to Hook today from Maidenhead. GTM12 aerial Vertical going and horizontal the way back. M4 J/8&9 to J11, A33 - Absolutely nothing!!

I have received TMC info in the past. GTM V4.o hasn't improved anything for me.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Typo - should read GTM21 (660)
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While driving on the southern perimeter road at heathrow the signal level went into the 40's on channel 187 and I got some messages...

It was at 03:30 though...

Pity it doesn't work a little better during the day, and that I can't see the traffic on the screen (Hint garmin. Hint!)
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah...

While on the subject... Does anyone know if the GTM-10 works with the Nuvi-660? It's not listed & is USB (?) connected... I'm just not sure if the 660 will look at the USB for TMC, and Garmin don't seem to be able to tell me (But will tell me to buy one of course).

H
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for some reason Halfords had a GTM12 plugged into the side port of the Nuvi 660 - so I thought I would try it to see if it recognised it - but it didn't so I assume the same with the GTM10.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:
Does anyone know if the GTM-10 works with the Nuvi-660? It's not listed & is USB (?) connected...
The Garmin traffic website does not list it as compatible, so it's difficult to tell whether it might actually work. If you had a normal (ie no traffic module) charging cable, I would expect it to recognise the traffic module on the USB port, but with the standard charging cable, I'm not sure what would happen.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
So, I wonder if either:

a) There is a network outage in the Hertford area (although there wasn't last week when I used my other traffic unit).

b) The v4.00 firmware can't cope with you changing areas.
Having now driven around more of the country, I think I missed an option here:

c) The radio signal coverage in the Hertford area is so poor that nothing can get a decent lock in that area.

In other areas of the country, I'm now getting really good signal on roads that before I could never have imagined getting TMC data (yet others managed fine with GTM11s connected to car aerials) so things have improved, just not in Hertford ;)

Strange that the GTM12 has managed it in the past, whereas I can't now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
In other areas of the country, I'm now getting really good signal on roads that before I could never have imagined getting TMC data

Not for me I am afraid, Blackpool to Stoke I picked up data for 30 seconds whilst on the M6 Manchester ship canal bridge (I assume the height helped - exact same on the return trip - less than 10 counts of information on both counts).

Blackpool to Lincoln - small data received on the outbound trip around Manchester (M62), nothing else the entire trip (less than 8 counts of information).

Lincoln - Blackpool - loads of data on the M62 around M1 interchange, worked very well, I stopped at the services to get over the experiance of it working correctly Laughing

Blackpool - NEC and return leg, will let you know when I get back tomorrow - Mike
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
swing wrote:
So, I wonder if either:

a) There is a network outage in the Hertford area (although there wasn't last week when I used my other traffic unit).

b) The v4.00 firmware can't cope with you changing areas.
Having now driven around more of the country, I think I missed an option here:

c) The radio signal coverage in the Hertford area is so poor that nothing can get a decent lock in that area.

or

d) The firmware is broken somewhere else with regard to recognising the TMC packets in the data stream.

I got mine working at home again... It started with a hiss & a roar after about 5 minutes of hunting, and was receiving messages on ch187 with a signal level of 33-37. I messed around a bit & managed to get signal levels in the 40's (Basically trying to build a passive aerial extender with a piece of earthing wire Smile. At 41-42 I was getting fewer packets than previously... And hunting again although with much higher signal levels. Eventually I started to get packets from 187 again, and from another channel as well (Although I locked it on ch187 for a while to play around as well).

H
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:
d) The firmware is broken somewhere else with regard to recognising the TMC packets in the data stream.
Indeed, that's another option - I believe Garmin are still working on the UK problems, even after v4.00, so it will be interesting to see what comes out next...
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Hamie wrote:
Indeed, that's another option - I believe Garmin are still working on the UK problems, even after v4.00, so it will be interesting to see what comes out next...

Really? That's interesting... I logged a support call with garmin a few days ago... I specfied version, etc. That it didn't work in or out of the car. I did manage to get a signal in my office (badly), but leaving it sitting for a while managed to get quite a few updates.

Then I got a response saying try a GTM-10 (Uh, the 10 isn't supported with the Nuvi660 Garmin support!). I dutifly replied... They now think my GTM-21 has a problem, and offered to replace it on an RMA... For which I need to send my old one in first apparently... Not very happy about that.

However... Garmin do have an official coverage map... And the one he sent me looks identical to the one on the garmin website. And the good news is that (Even though the picture isn't very detailed), it looks like everything within about 200km or more has 'Full Coverage'.

So I encourage you all to raise a tech support call with Garmin. Since we're apparently not a great source of technical information apparently on this forum...
northender
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a week of waiting for a reply from Trafficmaster regarding the lack of signal in the North West from Winter Hill after e-mailing tim.owen@trafficmaster.co.uk I’ve received nothing.

http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=RDS_TMC

So Garmin don’t seem to want to know about the patchy reception or ineffective software. Trafficmaster don’t seem to care enough to respond, which only leaves the FM radio stations that broadcast the signal, who I think would be the least concerned.

This seems a classic (no pun intended!) case of shared responsibility, meaning no ultimate responsibility, therefore nothing happens to fix the problem.

We paid a premium to Trafficmaster on our GTMs for a lifetime subscription to a service that isn’t being universally provided.
Is it about time we starting asking for refunds on a service that we don’t receive?

What frustrates me most is that we have no explanation of the problem from anyone involved, & thus no idea of when a fix will be provided …if ever!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: