Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Costco navman 530 & n20 question,
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Costco navman 530 & n20 question,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imlost wrote:
Got mine last night, so have only done a quick trip into work with it. Navigation instruction much better as it speaks the motorway junction numbers and road numbers. Baggiest downside already reported in this forum is the sound quality. It's a lot louder than the 520 but much more muffled, you can hear it but it just doesn’t cut through the noise like the 520. I'll post a more detailed message when I’ve had it a little longer.
Geoff

I agree with the sound quality being poor, particularly the male voice who sounds like he is speaking into a paper bag. My wife is very upset as she was very fond of the male on the 510 Sad

Anyone know if it is possible to download a new wav file with a different (sexier) voice Question (AND install it - how?)
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with the sound, muffled at best then distorted at the higher volume, even resorted to american female voice which is less distorted, my garmin i3 much better. The camera alert is dire too! But you can change that. Found that the garmin csv camera files work fine on it though, so i guess all the garmin poi's will work too from mafts site below which is in one handy download.

http://www.MaFt.co.uk/garmin/download.htm
Garmin POI's
Rux
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Costco N20 and Smart ST Reply with quote

I got an N20 from Costco as well and was well pleased until I purchased a Speed camera subscription from Navman and then tried to update the unit. The website took my money ok but Smart St refuses to allow me to access the updates - all I get is an "ActivationShell.exe" error.
Despite loads of calls to Navman they cannot fix the problem and have no idea when they might have a fix. I am running XP pro on a Dell and even with firewalls disabled and multiple software reloads It still won't work. I tried the cd in another computer and I got a warning "Malicious code found" At least Navman finally replied to my email to say they could no longer help - fat lot of good that is - anyone else out there found a fix or even had the same problem??
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Costco N20 and Smart ST Reply with quote

Rux wrote:
I got an N20 from Costco as well and was well pleased until I purchased a Speed camera subscription from Navman and then tried to update the unit. The website took my money ok but Smart St refuses to allow me to access the updates - all I get is an "ActivationShell.exe" error.
Despite loads of calls to Navman they cannot fix the problem and have no idea when they might have a fix. I am running XP pro on a Dell and even with firewalls disabled and multiple software reloads It still won't work. I tried the cd in another computer and I got a warning "Malicious code found" At least Navman finally replied to my email to say they could no longer help - fat lot of good that is - anyone else out there found a fix or even had the same problem??

Welcome to the forum, Rux. Sorry to hear of your problems. I don't know how far you are from Horley, but could you go to Horley and get them to try to load the subscription? If you have bought the subscription and it will not load via SmartST and Navman have washed your hands of the matter, have you had your sub refunded?
Getting some face to face help might solve the problem - if you do go down this route then you might face some opposition - if so be firm. Remember, the Sale of Goods act says goods must conform to contract meaning they must be as described fit for the purpose and of satisfactory quality (ie not inherently faulty at the time of sale). The least you should expect is that Navman should test your software/download to ensure that, that is not faulty. If they can load it on your device then firstly you have a satisfactory product and then secondly you should be happy that you have got something you have paid for and that it works. Wink
Rux
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, yes they have offered to refund the subscription cost and also suggested I can take the unit back and no doubt Costco will give me the money back because they have a very good service and returns policy but what I really want is for the thing to work. I bought it in a one off special deal so wont get enough money back to buy another one!
My PC is off the shelf and I don't see why it should be such a problem.
Navman have told me that I am not the only person with this fault so someone out there must have some ideas.
Thanks anyway
cheers
Rux
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be pleased to know that the latest McAfee security center update has fixed the "ActivationShell.exe" problem automatically.
The MCAfee upgrade was released today and configures automatically.

I have updated the software on my N20.

I have also tried to update my safety camera subscription but it states that there are no updates available - either they already uploaded during the software upload or Navman have not released an update since October 2006.

Either way I asked for my subscription to be extended by three months to JUNE 2008 from March 2008 to take into account the period during which there was no fix available. (This was already agreed verbally)

I also suggested they might like to inform your boffins in New Zealand that the fix to their problem lays with a McAfee upgrade.

I would like to claim the reward for finding a solution to this problem as Navman have failed to do so in the last 5 months especially in the light of the amount of time and effort I have expended in talking to the service agents and loading / unloading software - do you think I will have much luck?

If the speed camers have not been updated for 5 months I think a subscription from Navman is a waste of money!!! :D
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you going to ask for the reward? I think it would be a bit rude to expect Navman to pay for a problem caused by McAfee. Surely the responsible party - McAfee, should be footing the bill for the problems they cause.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: