Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 510/520 map/software updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

510/520 map/software updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: 510/520 map/software updates Reply with quote

Question to Navman and reply as at 9th Jan: Smile / Sad

Please could you tell me what version are the European maps for the ICN510/520 currently being sold from your on-line shop? Are these maps to the same Tele Atlas data level as the 2006 map update that is currently offered for the ICN 530 (and to the level of the new Navman N series)? Also, is there an accompanying SmartST software update for the ICN510/520 maps that is later than SmartST2005+Service Pack?

Dear Sir
The new maps and software will be available within the next 3-4 weeks. They will be available from the web store, www.navmanstores.com Apologies for the delay but the release date has been put back.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

Navman Store Support

Navman Europe Ltd
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley, Surrey RH6 9ST
United Kingdom
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what they said in October, Novemeber and December last year.....
remember the proverb "live every day as if it's your last, one day you will be right" - I only hope the Navman update comes first, in the mean time I am not waiting for it, life is far to short for that.

After this continual deception of which there is a pattern developing (Some of you will remember the 2005 software update had the same problem, and the Version 3 before that), intentional or otherwise, I will not buy another Navman product. They treat their exisiting customers with too much contempt for me, I suppose I should have expected thats what I would get from a large American boat builder when I bought a land based product Wink .

Pity the only law against this is the natural law of customer choice. I suggest that a boycott of Navman is required if we are to get them to change there ways. There is also the published commitment to annual map updates, and it's well over a year since they pubished an update, so you could always take your Navman 510/20 back for a refund under consumer gaurentee laws.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trust a written statement from someone who doesn't have a name either???
Algev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can understand why feelings run so deep on this one. I just think it's a shame because (shock, horror) I actually quite like my 520 - apart from getting round some of the last service pack glitches, it does reliably do what I want it to do. All I'm asking for is an extended lease of life on what in real terms is not an old product. I get so p'd off by this constant rush to upgrade, upgrade and upgrade again. I could actually live with SmartST2005 (I know, shame about lack of full postcode searches etc) - all I really want is a decent, reasonably up-to-date set of maps. I tried out a TomTom 300 recently - and what a useless piece of kit this turned out to be for my needs, unless I've got it wrong and you really can locate places via longitude/latitude coordinates on the 300 map screen (I can with the 520)! I find the 520 easy to use and, along with any other device like this, providing you use a bit of common sense it does the job and I don't want to just junk it. I wish Navman would wake up.
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maps are now available and cost £99 but no data on full postcode searches.
Dave1999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

This may seem daft to some of you .
I have a navman 520 and only use it in the Uk
It is the 2005 version and the maps DO need updating as there are many new roads .
Do I have to buy the disks at £99 for the whole of europe or are they going to bring a new card out just for the uk ?
Dave
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Dave1999 wrote:
This may seem daft to some of you .
I have a navman 520 and only use it in the Uk
It is the 2005 version and the maps DO need updating as there are many new roads .
Do I have to buy the disks at £99 for the whole of europe or are they going to bring a new card out just for the uk ?
Dave

Not at all daft Exclamation So far as I can see, the maps available [HERE] come as a package...I seem to remember, one could purchase a single region such as the UK only, on previous iCN versions, but one region only still cost about £49. Why don't you give them a call - the sales department emails usually give a quick response or telephone them and ask if it is possible to buy the UK region only Idea
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a word with Navman this am and they say

Quote:
unfortunately there are no single
country/region maps available for the ICn 510/520. We apologies we could
not assist you further at this time.

Sorry Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave1999
Before you part with your £99. the new maps will be anything up to 3 years out of date. When the 2005 maps came out roads in my area which had been built or improved 18 months to 2 years earlier, were not no the maps.
Best thing to do is purchase a F20 or N20 for about £30 or £40 more than the current maps. You will then have the new software, with full post code,GPS reciever and sell your 510/20 on Ebay? To cover the offset cost. Or wait a month or 2 for the prices to fall. As who in their right mind is going to spend that some of money, just on maps, without updated software.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Dave1999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Thank you all
Looks like I will have to live with it till the prices come down
Dave
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Dave1999 wrote:
Thank you all
Looks like I will have to live with it till the prices come down
Dave

OR, you could follow DRP's suggestion and shop around for one of the up to date F or N20s with all the bells and whistles, then do what I did and sell the old one on Ebay....there is still a demand for them. Net outlay could be around £30/40 Wink
Milest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: My experiences with the 2006 Map updates Reply with quote

I got the 2006 map updates as soon as they came out for my 510, and also the latest available USA maps too--these were on sales for awhile for £59.

The euro-software update (Smartst2005) will also run the usa maps, and I have a pair of 512MB SD cards, one for UK and some of Europe, and one for some of USA.

(Does anyone know if a sd card larger than 512 can be used with the 510? would be nice to get more of europe or USA on one card)

My experience is that at least some of the major roads in southeast UK have been included, e. g. Baldock bypass, Stansted airport roads.

I have also recently used the Spanish maps for a holiday in andalusia, and these worked OK, except most roads have been renumbered in the last 12 months. (confirmed with local friends0. Even the paper Michelin Andalusia area map from April 2006 is out of date, as are all the major mapping websites.

And it will refuse to route to many hotels in the centre of the tourist towns because many of the roads are "access only" and the map data has these marked as no entry--it's a good idea to get the free tourist town centre walking maps from the the first Tourismo you reach (or apply by post to Spanish tourism office in UK)

So far, fairly pleased.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Answer is yes to the first part. I have 2 x 2GB cards 1 with all europe east, the other all US. as long as you get a fast card 133 x, everything should work fine. the ones I have do.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: My experiences with the 2006 Map updates Reply with quote

Milest wrote:

(Does anyone know if a sd card larger than 512 can be used with the 510? would be nice to get more of europe or USA on one card)

Yes, I used a 1Mb card without trouble. Just check the speed, though - I recommend an 'Ultra Pro' - see below. But, they are a little more expensive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: