Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 POI problems - moved.................
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 POI problems - moved.................

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 POI problems - moved................. Reply with quote

.............from here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29719&start=30

I copied the questions below from the 'sticky' "i3 for Dummies thread" as I didn't get much of a response (only one reply - Thanks Anita)

Having spent most of the intervening time looking through other threads that seem to relate to this problem it appears that several people are experiencing difficulty with i3's that have the mapping data installed within the operating system instead of on the sd card.

I've also emailed Garmin Europe about this problem but have yet to receive a reply - no doubt they'll get around to it eventually.....

Please read the 'copied & pasted' questions below and if anyone can offer any explanations/fixes then I and all the others (including 'happyhkv' and 'dacota') who have similar problems, would be most grateful.

Thanks
Barry

Software version 3.2
Audio Version 2.6
Maps v9
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"happyhkv wrote:
Hi I have got my garmin i3 and have unziped the camera database and the MaFt poi into one folder.

I have installed the USB drivers and Garmin poi loader software.

On starting the loader software and selecting the folder containing the afore mentioned files and clicking on next, nothing seems to happend for about 3 min after which I get a prompt on the screen that there is no room and reduce the poi file. So I removed all except the camera database and it installed ok.

So how come I cannot include both databases onto the garmin.

Please excuse my ignorance if I have missed something that is glaring and simple but I am confused.

Garmin S/W version 3.1
Voice 2.5
Maps v8 "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"BarryK wrote:
Hi all

I have a similar problem to happyhkv's - I bought the i3 last July and successfully downloaded the camera database but on loading the poi's, I too found that there was not enough memory.

"Ahh" thought I "memory card doesn't have enough capacity- must get a bigger one"

I deleted a few of the less important POI's and tried again - this time successfully.

I have recently got a free map update from Garmin and purchased a 1 gig SD card.

I plugged in the new (blank) SD card and when I updated the map (from Garmin MapSource - on the PC) I chose to load only the Great Britain & Ireland maps which loaded successfuly.

When I came to update the POI's and traffic cameras I got the 'Out of memory' message again'

I don't have a dedicated card reader but was able to scan the card by plugging it into my mobile phone and 'exploring' it with the mobile phone software.

It seems that the only data on the SD card is the GB & Ireland Map (about 1.4 megs) - no POI's.........

My Questions are:
Can I just 'drag & drop' the POI's onto the SD card?

If this is possible, how do I delete the old POI's and camera data from the memory of the i3?

Apologies if this matter has been covered before, I've done a few searches but can't find anything in the archives.

Cheers
Barry "
------------------------------------------------------------------------
dacota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barry will watch with interest.
BarryK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reply from Garmin yet and in the absence of any help from the forum so far...........I decided to 'drag & drop' the poi files directly onto the sd card - this appeared to be successful but when I re-installed the card into the i3 the problem still remained.

It's begining to look like the i3 can't recognise the poi files????

Perhaps I should clear out the memory by doing a full reset & try again - any other suggestions?

Cheers
Barry
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What file structure is set up on the card

Is there an option in POI loader to send the POIs direct to the card? (sorry i can't remember)
dacota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry have you heard from garmin yet???
BarryK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dacota wrote:
Barry have you heard from garmin yet???

Nope, not a word so far - I'll give 'em a few more days then maybe try phoning......................
BarryK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunstrip_steve wrote:
What file structure is set up on the card

Is there an option in POI loader to send the POIs direct to the card? (sorry i can't remember)

Sorry for the delay in replying Steve.........

There's not much of a file structure on the cards - the original card has one Directory 'Garmin'.

within this directory are 2 files - GMAPSUPP.IMG & GMAPSUP.UNL, plus the sub-directory 'Voice' containg the VPM files.

The new (1Gb) card has the updated map - gmapsupp.img plus all the POI files as downloaded & pasted directly from the C:\Garmin\POI folder.

IFRC the POI loader does not give the option of directly loading to the card. Can't check it at the moment as the missus has borrowed the car (and the i3) ..............

Cheers
Barry
dacota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Barry will keep looking, good luck.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: