Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Patch due
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Patch due
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, ahenry. I too have sometimes had worthwhile contact with members of the ALK support staff; indeed, I have said so on the forum. However, one satisfactory encounter over one issue does not negate my overall conclusion.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
mattp94
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Patch install question Reply with quote

After reading everyones comments I thought I would check out the new patch.

However, when I checked out my current version it is v 6.0.4.94

I had the software as part of a UK T-Mobile package with an MDA Vario II. Is this version of the software exclusive to T-Mobile customers? I am currently very happy with the way my traffic warnings are working so don't want to mess it up. But I can't get the safety camera icons to show on the maps only the warning pop up that doesn't show what the speed limit is.

Can anyone help please?
roger7248
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccarmock wrote:
Since upgrading my CoPilot 6 with the latest patch I am, on the whole happy, howver one area that's very annoying is the constant 'Safety Camera ahead' announcements.

Driving on the A3 from London towards Wokign yesterday and at one point I counted 6 of these one immediately after another.

Time to log another call with ALK!

Clive

Could this be the GPSWorld data? I have this sneaking feeling their validation of cameras is not too good, resulting in people submitting data slightly different to existing data, then the database records both. Willing to be proved wrong.

I haven't been on here for some time, but still use ALK, though I must admit my requirement for sat nav is very limited.

Found out about the update through ALK newsletter, better late than never.

I keep wondering about changing, as others have or threaten to, and my recommendations to ALK are be more pro-active with your users, show them you care, otherwise I am afraid you will be history. You can only survive so long by doing deals with car/phone manufacturers - you have to keep the customers you have.

Navigator 6 for UK can now be purchased for about £100, so if CP7 upgrade comes in anywhere near that price I am sure there could be many PDA users changing.

I believe ALK need to get to the subscription type of operation that many software houses use. For £50(?) per year, offer all upgrades (map & operating) as they come, always downloadable. Put on the internet EVERY version, so 6.0.4.111 comes tomorrow, 6.0.4.112 the day after, and tell us what it does - not wait for 6 months to get to 6.0.6.xxx and having long suffering Neil do a road test. And for that they might also do a deal with GPSWorld to have access to the Safety Camera database included! Wink
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger7248 wrote:
Could this be the GPSWorld data? I have this sneaking feeling their validation of cameras is not too good, resulting in people submitting data slightly different to existing data, then the database records both. Willing to be proved wrong.

I use the pocketgpsworld camera database and find it to be very accurate. The problem with multiple warnings has only started with this latest CoPilot patch.

It now seems to warn of any cameras 'near route' as opposed to 'on route'.

I did contact ALK about this but was fobbed off with 'it's designed to work like that'.

Personally, I've now disabled the Safetycamera alerts and use the custom POI alerts.
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others I moved to TT some time ago, and this is the first time I have looked at this forum in a few months.

What I have read does not fill me with confidence.

What used to be by far and away the best GPS system of all is now falling further and further behind.

Even dedicated CP fans now seem to be expressing doubts

Laurie
starion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They (ALK) are about to lose another!

Just got my christmas money and going to buy a new SATNAV system, probably GARMIN or maybe TT.

ALK just don't listen or care about existing users. So just like laurie said

"What used to be by far and away the best GPS system of all is now falling further and further behind."

Too far for my liking.
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try as I might I cannot get this patch to install. I am stuck with v 6.0.0.68.

I'll stick with TT

Laurie
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurie53 wrote:

Quote:
...I cannot get this patch to install.

It installed first time for me. I did notice that, unlike with previous patches, the instruction is DEFINITELY NOT to uninstall the previous version, but to install the new patch ON TOP OF the previous one.

Does that solve it?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Made sure of that, and I have used two different PCs

Laurie
Aulus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've just upgraded to v. 6.0.4.107 for smartphone.

A right flamin' faff, what with deactivating, reactivating, uninstalling, reinstalling. I'll never complain about Microsoft's patching again. But it's all done.

All I have to do now is see if it works ...
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aulus wrote:
Right, I've just upgraded to v. 6.0.4.107 for smartphone.

A right flamin' faff, what with deactivating, reactivating, uninstalling, reinstalling. I'll never complain about Microsoft's patching again. But it's all done.

All I have to do now is see if it works ...

Possibly, not the correct place to Post - this is the CoPilot for Pocket PC forum, NOT the CoPilot for Smartphone one.

In my (very) limited experience with the Smartphone version, it appears to be a differrent beast; could this account for SOME of the quite differrent experiences posted by users, along with causing confusion?
FatOldSun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter and had no problems whatsoever. A bit of a long-winded process but worth it as the upgrade is so much better than the previous version. Speed camera warnings now work, unlike before where I had to go through the rigmarole of downloading the CSV files and set them up as custom places. The TTS now works again after being broken in the previous patch. The keyboard selection is much better and does not interfere with other software on the PocketPC. Generally it just looks and feels a bit more professional. The only problem I had is that you have to set up the bluetooth receiver again and Copilot would not find it at all, I had to manually specify the virtual COM port it was using and then it worked.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories of people using other SatNav systems, but Copilot with all its little bugs and annoyances has never let me down, it's always got me to where I've told it to take me one way or another!
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatOldSun wrote:
I have to admit that I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter and had no problems whatsoever. A bit of a long-winded process but worth it as the upgrade is so much better than the previous version. Speed camera warnings now work, unlike before where I had to go through the rigmarole of downloading the CSV files and set them up as custom places. The TTS now works again after being broken in the previous patch. The keyboard selection is much better and does not interfere with other software on the PocketPC. Generally it just looks and feels a bit more professional. The only problem I had is that you have to set up the bluetooth receiver again and Copilot would not find it at all, I had to manually specify the virtual COM port it was using and then it worked.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories of people using other SatNav systems, but Copilot with all its little bugs and annoyances has never let me down, it's always got me to where I've told it to take me one way or another!

I have steered away from installing this patch - however on reading your post - i may just install it.

Especially if it resolved the TTS issue.

Thanks!!

Matt
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest that anyone updating to 6.0.4.110 performs a backup of their device first!

Although it does seem to fix problems that some people have had, it produces one major problem in that the Safetycamera alerts are repeated, the Safetycamera alerts are repeated, the Safetycamera alerts are repeated.
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as usual US hsnt seen a patch in what now 11 monthd lster?
I tely on Iguidance for my directions, i just siply waste money , and i a done this time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: