Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: New TomTom Maps Reply with quote

Could somebody give me some advice please. A few days ago I purchased a new Go910 from Halfords.

It came with v650.1053 maps of Western Europe, ans I understand that the latest is v660. TomTom say they do not recomend`changing the maps, which is totally different from saying bthat they are the latest.

Is it worth pursuing this with TomTom, or returning the unit to Halfords? I do not expect the very latest data if the PND manufacturer hasn't started or completed coding of it, but when a more uptodate version is readily available at time of purchase, I do expect that for no more than reasonable post & packing costs. Does anyone know where consumer law stands on something like this?

Having said all that, I seem to recall that there have been comments on a reduction of detail on the latest maps, if so, does that apply to 910 versions? Iam mainly concerned about non public roads, I live on a private estate, and this can also include large industrial estates and airport cargo areas for example. I recently tried a Nuvi 660 before changing it for the 910, and one of the map problems I encountered was a lack on detail of such roads, both whilst driving and on zoom.

many thanks

Malcolm
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if you'd notice much difference between 650 & 660 and, as TT says, you don't need to update if you already have v650.

You don't know when the unit was originally shipped from TT & I guess it WILL have had the latest version available at that time.

It's a bit like buying a new car which has been sitting in a field for months or years before reaching the forecourt.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought one with v650.1052
Is this even older than v650.1053?
sparkster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also brought a tom tom 910 today and the version on that is v650.1052, bit of a swine trying to get rid of this copy.exe and host.exe files from my machine though,, took a while, but got there in the end
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me tomtom should offer a free upgrade to those who have bought a new device with outdated maps on it..

there is stuff on the current version of the map that isnt on the 650s.. and the 650 maps are in esence out of date..

tomtom are just trying to avoid admitting this cos there would be a lot of demands for free upgrades..

trog
chillijam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in "discussion" with TT over this issue at the moment. Admittedly, my maps are nowhere near as out of date as some mentioned here, but my confidence in their accuracy has been severely dented by one thing.

Around 12-18 months ago, work was completed on the A1 near Ferrybridge, re-rerouting it for around 15-20 miles. My brand new, out-of-the-shrinkwrapped-box TT One has no clue of this change to one of the UK's major roads.

As others have said, I don't mind if the latest map still has this wrong (actually, I do, but that's not TT's fault), but the fact that a map update is available for my unit may mean it is fixed. I utterly resent the idea that I will have to pay to upgrade to the latest map, on the off chance that this issue will be settled.

I'm on the verge of taking the thing back to the shop and getting a unit from a manufacturer without all the conceit theat TT support has shown so far.
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all maps now begin 6.6 my america map is 665.1293 and westen europe is 660.1256 but these are not on the 910 which is mad as this is the best unit on the market, but has the most out of date maps, work that out from tomtom????
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Around 12-18 months ago, work was completed on the A1 near Ferrybridge, re-rerouting it for around 15-20 miles. My brand new, out-of-the-shrinkwrapped-box TT One has no clue of this change to one of the UK's major roads."

i came down it the other day in a tow truck the driver had a garmin device it got this major piece of the A1 correct.. my latest " no need to upgrade" according to tomtom map thought we were in a field and kept telling us to turn right at every bridge we went under..

i dont believe for one second this piece of road isnt on the latest tomtom maps..

i think they are tellin me fibs to avoid me screaming for a free update having paid over a hundred quid not that long back for my current map..

plus of course they would have to offer the free upgrade to all those who have just bought tomtoms with outdated maps..

i can see why they are being deceitfull.. but i am not entirely sure they should be allowed to get away with it scot free..

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think tomtom should include a time period.. lets say six months after purchase.. during this period any unit or map purchased should be entitled to a free upgrarde to the latest map version..

after this six months period a lower priced ugrade should be offered.. after a year from the initial purchase they can do what the h-ll they like..

if they adopted this system there would be no need to hide whats on the latests maps thats not on the older maps as they are doing now..

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive the typos and multiple posts its down to the missing edit feature..

trog
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
i think tomtom should include a time period.. lets say six months after purchase.. during this period any unit or map purchased should be entitled to a free upgrarde to the latest map version..

after this six months period a lower priced ugrade should be offered.. after a year from the initial purchase they can do what the h-ll they like..

if they adopted this system there would be no need to hide whats on the latests maps thats not on the older maps as they are doing now..

trog

That would be nice, but all I was expecting was that I could get a copy of the latest map available at time of purchase, for no more than p&p. I don't think thats unreasonable. I'm sure I've seen an advert recently that states that TomToms have the latest up to date maps, but maybe I'm mistaken.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm sure I've seen an advert recently that states that TomToms have the latest up to date maps, but maybe I'm mistaken"

i think they are a bit loose with the definition.. i would settle for a simple free download system for a limited time period after initial purchase.. it seems the only way around an obvious problem..

its obviouse that when tomtom release new maps a whole bunch of devices are still in the system for quite some time with older maps on..

when tomtom say "the latest maps" or "one of the latest series of maps" they dont actually mean "the latest map"..

playing with words..

i dont expect all minor details to be correct they never will be.. but huge chunks of a major road like the A1 missing on what tomtom claim to be one of the "latest maps" with a "no need to upgrade" factor added in isnt right..

trog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: