Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map on iCN 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map on iCN 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iksander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Memory Map on iCN 520 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just been given an icn 520 and my first instinct is to hack it about and see what it can do! So far I have experiementing installing the WIN CE desktop, media player and TT5 (although haven't tried Tom Tom yet). I am interested in running Memory Map or some other method of OS maps.

Is this possible? Has anyone done it or have any tips?

I'd be especially interested in the most economic way of getting started. For instance would it be possible to buy a cheap version without much data, ie http://www.thenavigationcompany.com/products/MEMMAP005_Memory_Map_OS_LANDRANGER_1%3A50%2C000_British_National_Parks.html and then add more maps later?

Also reading some MM docs http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads/Navman%20GPS%203000%20Install%20Instructions%20(Memory-Map).pdf, it seems like the set up can be very particular about versions etc. any advice here?

thanks in advance!

Peter
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it - it needs some PPC API's that the Navman 520 does not have. You may be able to fudge something, but it is not easy.

I did look at OziExplorer CE versions - worked OK except for bugs in Navmans implementation of their CE Kernel. Now I just use a PIN and Memory map.
The 520 is OK for car nav, and the stuff to open it up seems to "sort of work sort of ok most of the time for most of the people", but if you want topo and car nav, dump it and get either a PPC of a Garmin CX60 or similar.

I have not yet found anything thats as painless as it should be though.
dinick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert
When you say "Now I just use a PIN and Memory map" does that mean you are using MM on a Pin with GPS enabled? If so what can you tell me what GPS settings you are using? I can't seem to get MM to see my PiN GPS. Any help much appreciated.

Nick
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the navman hardware and MM forums as well, I think this has been discussed a few times. Most peopel seem to get it going without toom uch problem.

I use a PIN 300, not the PIN570. Depend which one you have. The PIN 570 has a switch in the settings to turn the GPS off and on, so make sure you turn it on. From what I read it may be a bit dodgy, so people suggest you turn the GPS off, then on, just to be sure.

The other, most important tool you need is Winfast navigator (search Pocket GPS for links) . It allows you to connect to the GPS and see what is going on. Without this programs like Smart St and MM are almost impossible to configure, as you a completely blind as to what is happening.

The comm setting for GPS would normally be 4800Baud, No paritiy, 8 bit, 1 stop for GPS, I think the PIN570 uses 9600. Using Winfast yiou can play with these settings.

One gotch is that SmartSt turns off one of the NEMA senctences from the GPS, that gives altitude. By turning it back on with Winfast, you can then have altitude with MM, however you need to do it every time you run Smart St.

One last thing - you need to shut down Smart ST, MM or Winfast completely before you can start anotehr. In Smart ST, on the map screen, tap and hold and sleect Exit (The x at the top right of the screen doe not do it). In Winfast - use the Menu/Exit option. I find I prefer the Soft Reset button-it's quick, and 100% reliable at getting the PPC to a known state.
dinick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for pointer to MM forum - doh! I reinstalled mm and checked licence fully activated, soft reset, start gps, start MM, set GPS to NMEA, Com8, 9600, go to GPS, Satellites and nothing showing, go to GPS, Mark Position and BINGO! Nice big red circle in the right place!

Not sure what has made the difference, possibly just the 'mark position' piece? but working ok now with these settings, although orange light continues to blink rather than go solid as per ST.

TY for suggestions

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: