Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI import in C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI import in C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodyuk75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Please please can someone help!

This whole getting POI (hotels, fast food etc) on my MIO 510 is driving me crazy :-(

So what have I found.

POIHandler which seems to have a good collection of POI, however why did someone not just create one big POI file of all types. I just want to download all POI (hotels, fast food etc). Anyway ... so I then found that this site (pocketgpsworld) had released a pack of POI which looked perfect. So I downloaded.

I have read almost every thread on this site about POI and getting on my device and keep going around in circles. I work out one problem and get stuck with another.

I have download most of the tools on the threads, and the POI Explorer seemed the perfect option. I copied my igo.db file and tried to load it in, I do not get an error - but no data is shown. I then imported all the CSV I got from this site (using Garmin option) and they import fine. However when I try to export back out to igo.db it says it has worked but the file size is the same!

I managed to get the speed cameras working first time reading the threads, but getting POI I have found to be impossible. Is it becuase I am using latest 3.2 on my Mio ?

I just want to get these new POI released by this site to C510E - Could someone please describe a simple process of how to go from TomTom or .CSV POI from this site or POI Handler site to C510E igo.db.

Thanks! Consider it a xmas present to everyone :-)
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyuk75 wrote:
Hi all

Please please can someone help!

This whole getting POI (hotels, fast food etc) on my MIO 510 is driving me crazy :-(

So what have I found.

POIHandler which seems to have a good collection of POI, however why did someone not just create one big POI file of all types. I just want to download all POI (hotels, fast food etc). Anyway ... so I then found that this site (pocketgpsworld) had released a pack of POI which looked perfect. So I downloaded.

I have read almost every thread on this site about POI and getting on my device and keep going around in circles. I work out one problem and get stuck with another.

I have download most of the tools on the threads, and the POI Explorer seemed the perfect option. I copied my igo.db file and tried to load it in, I do not get an error - but no data is shown. I then imported all the CSV I got from this site (using Garmin option) and they import fine. However when I try to export back out to igo.db it says it has worked but the file size is the same!

I managed to get the speed cameras working first time reading the threads, but getting POI I have found to be impossible. Is it becuase I am using latest 3.2 on my Mio ?

I just want to get these new POI released by this site to C510E - Could someone please describe a simple process of how to go from TomTom or .CSV POI from this site or POI Handler site to C510E igo.db.

Thanks! Consider it a xmas present to everyone :-)

The file size of the igo.db stays at around 624k consistantly regardless of the number of POI files I add to it. I suspect that this might not be the issue. Have you enabled the MY POI option from within Mio Map?

Go to MIO MAP

Go to MAP

Go to MENU (Bottom left)

Go to settings - looks like a cog wheel

Go to manage POI

My POI should have a blue background

Go to MyPOI

Ensure that all of the imported POI fiels are here and have blue backgrounds to show that they are visable on the maps.

If there are any that do not have a blue background then select them and press the show button.

Rememebr that POI icons will only be visable on a very low map area - higher map areas these are replaced with blue dots.
woodyuk75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm ... not sure what I have done then becuase my igo.db file is like 33k in size. I have just reset my device to find all my POI have gone on the device. I had not yet copied anything back. The only thing I copied over was the speed camera file.

Guess I need to repatch the device again to get back my full igo.db

Paul
woodyuk75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah strange - now even more confused.

Before I found the transfer hack, I used the backup to SD card trick. I then copied the backup file to my computer but did not delete the org from my SD card. I have just done a restore of that and all my orgianial POI have returned. However the file size is only 33k.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure that you are doing this right. After starting POIExplorer you have to:
1. Import from iGO.db
2. Import the POI file
3. Move the POI file to the right place in the tree in the left-hand window - if it is directly under the "-" sign then you must drag it to the right so that it is under the "iGO POI database" header.
4. Export to iGO.db

If you don't get all these steps right it won't save and/or display properly.

Sal
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Just to be sure that you are doing this right. After starting POIExplorer you have to:
1. Import from iGO.db
2. Import the POI file
3. Move the POI file to the right place in the tree in the left-hand window - if it is directly under the "-" sign then you must drag it to the right so that it is under the "iGO POI database" header.
4. Export to iGO.db

If you don't get all these steps right it won't save and/or display properly.

Sal

Hi Sal - can you shed some light on the filesize? If I recall corrctly is there a discrepancy between windows files sizes and those on the Mio. Sad
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:

Hi Sal - can you shed some light on the filesize? If I recall corrctly is there a discrepancy between windows files sizes and those on the Mio. Sad

Not a huge difference. There is just the usual problem that some file managers report the size in kB using k = 1000 and some as k = 1024.
I don't have a lot of experience with POI Explorer but I do remember from playing with it that you can import a lot of data and get a big file, but never see it on the Mio because it's in the wrong part of the database tree. Hence point 3 above.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
ernest_mio wrote:

Not a huge difference. There is just the usual problem that some file managers report the size in kB using k = 1000 and some as k = 1024.
I don't have a lot of experience with POI Explorer but I do remember from playing with it that you can import a lot of data and get a big file, but never see it on the Mio because it's in the wrong part of the database tree. Hence point 3 above.

Sal

Hi All,
I've just spent hours importing POIs to my device from his site using POI explorer. The file size I had before was 200K and the device used to boot-up in about 7 seconds from pressiong the MioMap icon.
Now the file size is 700k but takes 35 seconds to boot-up.
I have also found out the if you want to modify your POIs (ie hide or unhide the icons) it takes around 10 seconds to access the menu.

Any thoughs anyone

Dee
mihilc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Anyway, can you somehow change the icons of poi's? For example: Mc'Donalds - Mc'donalds logo. I know that tom tom has the logo for each big name out there.
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly you can only use the pre-loaded icons.
mihilc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thing, can't you replace the existing poi's? I mean I hardly only using 10-15 of them. can't you replace the others?
Swordsmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are integral to or "welded" into the Teleatlas maps and there is no way to get rid of them. - Unfortunately.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihilc wrote:
This is the thing, can't you replace the existing poi's? I mean I hardly only using 10-15 of them. can't you replace the others?

Mihilc
You can hide the whole sub-catergory of POIs by performing the following actions from the Cockpit or Map mode;
Menu - Settings - Manage POI
Select the POI group or sub-group then press HIDE or SHOW depending on what your intension is.

Dave
mihilc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dave I knew that, i was refering to the ICONS of poi's.
Anyway, i figured it out. On a site i found some color schemes and in those schemes were different icons. So the icons are in the schemes (ex.: miomap, Yob, GS etc).
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Post Subject Reply with quote

mihilc wrote:
Yes, Dave I knew that, i was refering to the ICONS of poi's.
Anyway, i figured it out. On a site i found some color schemes and in those schemes were different icons. So the icons are in the schemes (ex.: miomap, Yob, GS etc).

Mihilc, could you share the URL of the site where you found thse different schemes. I would like to try changing the icons on my Mio.

Many thanks.

DPM
-------------------------------
Mio C510E - 1st purchase very impressed.
Now running V3.2

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: