Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat nav for a technophobe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat nav for a technophobe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magumba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Sat nav for a technophobe Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

As the title suggests i have a query about sat nav for a comitted technophobe and would love to canvas the opinions of the fine people that make up pocket gps world.

The family have agreed to purchase a sat nav for my father as a gift for his birthday after he has been impressed greatly by mine (Garmin I3 streetpilot) HOWEVER he is a comitted technophobe.

The main criteria being
1 easily removable from the car

2 comparitively complete uk mapping with a minimum of updating required (the updating will be down to me)

3 speed cameras able to be loaded onto it

4 display perhaps larger than the I3 and touch screen

Short of buying him a large print road atlas i'm a bit bamboozled amongst the plethora of systems available.
So i'd love to hear anyones opinion on systems that may fit in with the above.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this
mag
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom One would be a good place to start.

But there are going to be times (with all navigation systems) when it's going to upset a technophobe (not locking to a signal as quick as they believe it should, fiddly menu systems, annoying noises.....) so look at something you might be able to make use of in the (near) future!
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two units and the first was an Evesham with a combination of buttons and touch screen icons ideally requiring use of a fiddly stylus. This is very confusing and not something your dad would like. My second is a Medion PNA with virtually all functions accessed by touch screen. This is fine. I have also seen the i3. This works by pressing physical buttons and I think there was a scroll wheel. It seemed to be well designed and easy to get to grips with. The screen seemed a bit small though and I'm not sure if you can install speed camera alerts. Maybe your dad would find this facility annoying though.

It's so much better when the device locks easily onto the satellites. For this you need a SirffStar III GPS antenna. The sat nav will also cope much better with a coated windscreen and poor weather conditions. The Garmin i3 has SirffStar II. I think it's very handy to have the sat nav on a mains charger in the house so it's always ready to go. Not all units include this as standard.

TomTom One comes highly recommended. You need to be careful because my wife is only just beginning to take these devices seriously. My Evesham BM6380 almost put her off for life.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him a TomTom GO710 PLUS a remote control. Show him the choice of 2D or 3D screen display. That way he can achieve just about everything without fiddling with the touchscreen. Get rid of the TT cameras and download the ones from here and add the OGG voice warnings. He'll be pleased with you and put you back in his will.
Regards
Dennis (67 and a third years old)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that DennisN. I'm getting on too, but think that perhaps remote controls and voice warnings tend to confuse the issue. Clear, easy sat nav is what's wanted for a technophobe. When that's a success it's time to talk about moving onto extra features. Although TomTom gets most peoples' vote I thought the Garmin i3 was very simple. If there's a version with a SirffStar III aerial and bigger screen it might be just the job. There's so much choice out there it's amazing.
You look well for 67. What's your secret?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I honestly find the remote control an absolute blessing compared with touch screen - I don't miss or hit the wrong one with it and I don't have to reach out for it. The voices I have came from some brilliant person here to whom I long to give credit, but can't remember who! - They are loud and preceded by the whooping sirens so I can't miss them. Best thing would be for father to sit in front of a whole row of them all doing their thing. Trouble is, it doesn't work that way does it?

I picked my first GO simply because after mooning around the shops for some time, the only place I could get a demo was selling the GO. Pure luck of the draw and I liked it so much I'd have bought the company (and made a better job of support services!!!) if I'd been able to afford it.

At the end of the day, you pays yer money and takes yer choice bazz, I reckon.

My secret is I chose an avatar that I look like in my dreams! Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're right about the remote. My Evesham had one but the unit was so much trouble that the remote never came out of its plastic bag. Hopefully someone else can comment on whether they make things simpler.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forget about a Garmin. I looked up the i5 which is better specified than the i3 but again there are problems with satellite reception. TomTom One has to be better.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go for the Garmin Nuvi 300 for £170 or the Garmin C510 for £150. Be easier for you! All the same software as your used to with the i3.

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/
Gives Nuvi prices aswell.

http://www.currys.co.uk
Garmin C510 code. 003552
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat nav for a technophobe Reply with quote

magumba wrote:
he has been impressed greatly by mine (Garmin I3 streetpilot) HOWEVER he is a comitted technophobe.

I don't think they come much more simple than the i3. Wink

Buy a Nuvi for yourself and pass the i3 on to him. Wink
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was taken with the i3 that does seem a strong reason for that model. I have a friend with one and he finds it easy to use but he has been unable to get a signal in the works van. If it is OK in the dads car then that's probably a major factor. Forget anything which need the paraphernalia of an external aerial. It's all too much hassle. What a shame Garmin haven't enhanced the antenna incorporated in this very simple model.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In two of the latest computer magazines the Medion GoPal PNA 465 has come top of the models reviewed. (computeract!ve and Personal Computer World)

My GoPal PNA350 is good but the new Medion 465 stands out even from TomTom One, having both a faster processor and first rate software. It comes with a mains charger, full 7 digit post code search and a large clear 4.3" widescreen. It is all touch screen in operation.

""the GoPal is also one of the easiest of all the GPS devices to get started with, both in terms of the software being intuitive to use and on a technical level, since the machine was quick to lock onto the GPS satellites." PCW
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazz2004 wrote:
unable to get a signal in the works van.

That's probably because he drives a van with the athermic windscreen (eg Renault or Vauxhall). Do a forum search for athermic...

You are right though, some of the more expensive GPS systems use the SiRF III chipset which works much better through these windscreens.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: