Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it worth me upgrading from TT3 to TT5 or TT6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth me upgrading from TT3 to TT5 or TT6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swarrans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Is it worth me upgrading from TT3 to TT5 or TT6? Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq 2210 and have been happily using it with TT3 and the TT wiring mount etc. I recently got a BT receiver and like it although it seems the BT bit is pushing my 2210 to the limit and I have to do quite a few soft boots.
I would like to get more up to date maps and I'm thinking about an upgrade to either TT5 or TT6 (I know the 2210 isn't officially supported but it seems it should work).
Are the maps significantly different from what I have and will either version push my Ipaq over it's capabilities? (I seem to remember when the TT5 low cost upgrades came out - which I didn't do for some reason! - a lot of people said TT5 was a backwards step...

Thx

Simon
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your 2210 will cope perfectly well with ttn6..I have tried my friends and the maps are more up to date as you would expect for a newer product .the resets you have to do may be down to the memory card if you are using certain SD ones as the 2210 can be fussy about them ...Me! I still prefer the routing of TTN3.

Dave
swarrans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Dave, but what do you mean when you say you "prefer the routing of TTN3" I'm happy with mine too, so if there is something negative about the way TTN6 operates I'd like to know. I'm kinda tempted though because I'd like the newer maps and landscape capabilities...

Simon
swarrans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...forgot to comment about the SD card - it's nothing exotic but worked fine when I was using a wired set up so I'm assuming it's related to using bluetooth now (plus it actually comes up with the error message saying "there is insufficient memory to run your bluetooth wireless application" (or something)). I don't use the PDA as a PDA and can't imagine that I'm using all it's memory as I have nothing else running!
Simon
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you closing down TT3? If you don't EXIT using the menu option then the BT can be left in a strange condition which uses up any available memory.

Obviously with later TT versions you get more up-to-date mapping. If you choose to upgrade then if your device supports it you may as well go for TT6. There was a markedly improved BT handling with V5 (esp 5.21) (and V6)

With regards to the routing I suspect oddsock is referring to the ability to have some influence on the routing preferences by altering the speeds you travel on certain roads, which was taken away after V3. It all depends if you used that sort of facility. Personally I would rather have more accurate mapping.
swarrans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, good points.
I have been closing down using the menu option (or re-booting if it's locked up by then!).
I think I'll monitor it carefully for a while to see if there is any pattern to the lock ups.
Tempted to go the TTN6 route after what you've said as I might as well go for the latest...

Simon
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the transition from TT3 to TT 5.21 just recently. I also use a BT receiver, a Holux GPSlim 236, and have had no problems at all. It shouldn't have any impact on the performance of the 2210 but I do notice that TT as opposed to Co Pilot 5 seems to be a bit more fussy. Its difficult to tell as everyones setup is usually different. I run my 2210 with nothing apart from Sprite and TT 5.21 loaded. No little apps tucked away. I have a Danlec 1GB SD card and a generic 2GB SD card and both work perfectly.

Apart from a few functions already mentioned I find TT 5 pretty much the same as TT 3. The maps are better of course and I guess thats the main plus. Using a colleagues 2210 with TT6 installed today and it works very well but you could get away with buying the lastes maps for TT5 and be done with it.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
swarrans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't realise you could get the latest maps for TT5, I thought you had to get version 6 - I'll take a look at the various costs of upgrading

Simon
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you specify a device that is "supported" on the TT website when looking at upgrades you can get TT6 as well if you already have 5.

|If you want to get/stick with 5 you can select "other device" and get the very latest WE maps that will work on TT5. they are the same maps as TT6 uses..about £84.

philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
If you specify a device that is "supported" on the TT website when looking at upgrades you can get TT6 as well if you already have 5.

|If you want to get/stick with 5 you can select "other device" and get the very latest WE maps that will work on TT5. they are the same maps as TT6 uses..about £84.

It's about £63 at present for the download option from the TomTom website - takes a while - but not too bad. Don't forget to make an immediate backup of your device after installation (and onto DVD pref) - esp the maps.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with TTN6 you can't tweak the different road speeds as you can in V3. the latter gives routes more in keeping with what I would have chosen myself as the best option and apart from this omission and repeated U turn instructions when off route and I quite liked it .V6 still retains the option to try an alternative route though !!
I think the issue with the SD cards only rears its ugly head when a BT receiver is used and has something to do with the Quality and speed of the card..I have never had any probs with the Navman BT receiver I once had because I used a CF card.

My mapping is a little more up to date as I use the v4 TT Go maps which do have the M6 tolls on them. ..Not strictly legit I suppose but I used the ones from a mate who had his Go stolen .

Dave
swarrans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
I think the issue with the SD cards only rears its ugly head when a BT receiver is used and has something to do with the Quality and speed of the card..I have never had any probs with the Navman BT receiver I once had because I used a CF card.

You were spot on Dave- I copied everything onto a CF card and I've had no lock ups since.

Thx

Simon
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with my 2210/SD card with TT 5.21 but my colleagues TT6 with the same hardware works fine. Mind you I have just ordered a Nokia E61 from work and need to get a mini SD card for my TT 5 or just bite the bullet and get the TT6 /WE on DVD or mini SD.

topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I'm guessing the faster the card the better ? They will always default to the speed of the slot/device anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: