Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Latest Maps ???????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Latest Maps ???????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom Latest Maps ??????? Reply with quote

Well as you know i have had a good moan about the Tomtom maps being out of date regarding the Ricoh Arena complex to name but a few that dont exist on the map v6.552.... well i am now a bit confused..as follows..if i go to the tomtom website and and check if i have the latest maps on my Go910 it prompts me that i have got the latest maps being v6.552 well i have now got v660.1256 and a lot of the places that were missing are now on this version of mapping so how come that tomtom are saying that i have talready got he latest maps (being v6.552) when the latter is not on it and it and it is on v6.660.1256. It looks like even tomtom dont even know what is and what isn't on there mapping or am i seeing things that arn't realy there!!!!...anyone one with any answers to this one!!!!!

TomTom 940 Live
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Latest Maps ??????? Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
well i have now got v660.1256 and a lot of the places that were missing are now on this version of mapping so how come that tomtom are saying that i have talready got he latest maps (being v6.552) when the latter is not on it and it and it is on v6.660.1256.

What map is it and where did you get it from?

I don't wish to excuse Tom Tom, but they are not saying you've got the latest map on your 910, merely
Quote:
We advise you not to update your map. You already have one of the most up-to-date maps available (version 6.5 or 6.6).
They are advising you not to BUY new maps. Sure, it's a play on words and I think they should give us the new map update for free because the new maps were being issued long after the existing maps had been put onto the x10 devices.
My GO710 was purchased 1st Dec 2006 and the map files are dated 13 February 2006.
The new map I got 28th November for my GO700 has files dated 28 November 2006. What's more, the map files on it when I bought it in May 2006 were dated 29 March 2006 - a later date than the map files on the GO710!!
If you can come up with some foolproof method whereby we can get a free update to the maps for the x10 devices, I'll be only too pleased. But I'll not be holding my breath.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust the dates on the files to tell you when the map was created.
If you download, it looks like new files are created with the download date...
Quote:
The new map I got 28th November for my GO700 has files dated 28 November 2006.

In general computing, I'm always finding that the 'CreateDate', 'SaveDate', 'ModifyDate' etc. seem to have minds of their own.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I wouldn't trust the dates on the files to tell you when the map was created.
If you download, it looks like new files are created with the download date...
Quote:
The new map I got 28th November for my GO700 has files dated 28 November 2006.

In general computing, I'm always finding that the 'CreateDate', 'SaveDate', 'ModifyDate' etc. seem to have minds of their own.

Yes Andy, that's what I've always thought myself.
Oddly, the file times are all around 17:30, whereas the map directory is 3 hours later (if only I had some evidence of what I was doing at those times that day - I don't think I was murdering anybody, so I could have done the download at 17:30 and run the update at 20:30). I wonder if anybody else can look at their's to see what file dates they've got? Have you still not bought it yourself? ( Pistol Shoot Out Luddite, get thee back to thy mixing bowl!!).

However, the dates I quoted from my GO710 (Feb 2006) were from the original virgin untouched card which only came out of the box on day 1 to be copied for the spare card to take over for day to day use.
And the dates for the previous map on the 700 (March 2006) are before I bought it (end May 2006). At the very least, the 710 "latest" map was installed before my original ("old" - here's a voucher for a map update when it comes out) 700 map. Makes a good point for beating TT with.

Anyway, I wonder if ferret79 is going to answer my question as to where and how he got his map?

adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Yes where exactly are you getting the new map version 6.660.1256 from I and others am most intrigued...

I don't think anyone wants to get thereselves in trouble.

All I can say and even this might be going to far is:

Google - TomTom 660.1256
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. As far as I'm concerned this is definitely going too far.

I'm not accusing you of anything, simply taking the opportunity to say personally I deplore piracy and associated hacking. It's theft, pure and simple. In the fullness of time, such behaviour will put the original "inventor" or "performer" or whatever out of business, then there won't be anything coming forward to be pirated. And I've heard the arguments about high prices, unsatisfactory treatment of customers, etc, they don't wash with me. The pirates who actually sell pirated stuff should consider how they would survive if someone else pirated their stuff and gave it away for nothing. If all the thieves in the world were put together on an isolated island they'd starve for lack of anybody to steal from and anything to steal. Sorry, getting on my high horse here.

adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Yes. As far as I'm concerned this is definitely going too far.

I'm not accusing you of anything, simply taking the opportunity to say personally I deplore piracy and associated hacking. It's theft, pure and simple. In the fullness of time, such behaviour will put the original "inventor" or "performer" or whatever out of business, then there won't be anything coming forward to be pirated. And I've heard the arguments about high prices, unsatisfactory treatment of customers, etc, they don't wash with me. The pirates who actually sell pirated stuff should consider how they would survive if someone else pirated their stuff and gave it away for nothing. If all the thieves in the world were put together on an isolated island they'd starve for lack of anybody to steal from and anything to steal. Sorry, getting on my high horse here.

Your views are allways excepted and pointing out your views is fine. As I said If any comments offend I don't mind if they get deleted or something.

I own a 910 which I paid £350 for about 4 weeks ago and even though they could be found cheaper for that arround christmas it's a fair wollop of my money. I do like the tomtom and have owned a 500 in the past. But when I paid £350 out to find the maps are out of date from the outset and new ones are allready available I was a bit miffed. I think that tomtom should have gave a free update to all X10 users who bought there product within a reasinable ammount of time say 6mnths. But they did not. So i'm stuck with V650 maps when a freind of mine has the 660.1256 maps that are a great inprovment in my point of view. So I will have to pay out for these new maps if I want them. Can anyone confirm that the Western Europe Map available via download from TomTom is V660.1256 ?. Also are they Teleatles of Navtec maps as people are saying they are Navtec but the Copyright Message under the Version Menu clearly says Teleatles ?.

What Postcode Version is Supplied with them as I thought someone said V603 but I thought V605 maps that are a bit old know had V603 Postcodes.

Fianlly I'm not condoning Piracy etc I just answered a question in the most basic way I could think of without posting Links etc.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Yes where exactly are you getting the new map version 6.660.1256 from I and others am most intrigued...

The same place as on this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51033 the thing is - is that i have it and i'm very happy with it and with the activation code ..you cant (i dont think) get an activation code with a pirated copy. and no its not from google like the accusations seem to employ, and on a final note regarding the members who have mentioned piracy .... i take it they have never ever downloaded any music files on there pc and burned them to cd..wow isn't there a lot of hypocrites on here.....no offence

TomTom 940 Live
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. For the life of me I cannot see where the map came from in that link.

2. I'm the only member here raising the piracy subject. You don't need to "take" anything, I assure you I have NEVER, EVER downloaded any music files on my PC, nor burned them on a CD. I don't buy pirate CDs or DVDs either and won't allow anyone around me to do so. I don't support drug dealers, money launderers and the like. I do support the people who produce music, films, programs, etc, etc - they're the ones who should be benefitting from their efforts and skills, not the low-life who steal their work, not the cheapskates who buy or download the pirate stuff. Simple question - would you be happy to go to work for no pay?

thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Navteq Western Europe v660.1256 which is now being shipped with the V2 Euro so don't know if the TT would use the same version number for a Teleatlas map.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
1. For the life of me I cannot see where the map came from in that link.

2. I'm the only member here raising the piracy subject. You don't need to "take" anything, I assure you I have NEVER, EVER downloaded any music files on my PC, nor burned them on a CD. I don't buy pirate CDs or DVDs either and won't allow anyone around me to do so. I don't support drug dealers, money launderers and the like. I do support the people who produce music, films, programs, etc, etc - they're the ones who should be benefitting from their efforts and skills, not the low-life who steal their work, not the cheapskates who buy or download the pirate stuff. Simple question - would you be happy to go to work for no pay?
Well i dont support the drug dealers either or the like but the guy who is perfect and has done nothing wrong has yet to be born....as far and as for working for no pay can i say that i for one do it on a regular basis by helping the aged as a volunteer so you see some of us do work for no pay and are proud of it. Embarassed

TomTom 940 Live
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't alter the fact that these APPEAR to be pirated maps, discussion or promotion of which is agin' the forum roolz.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
as for working for no pay can i say that i for one do it on a regular basis by helping the aged as a volunteer so you see some of us do work for no pay and are proud of it. Embarassed

Aaah, you little love. Clap

So will you come down here from Coventry tomorrow morning and fix these bits back on my greenhouse? It's a bit dangerous for me, teetering on a wonky stepladder at my age and my diabetic wife can't help.

Or is it just occasional 'help the aged' volunteer work you do, y'know, not like a proper, every day, full time, unpaid job, not like the musicians whose work gets stolen and downloaded and burned onto CDs? You well miss the point don't you?

Dennis, aged (as in 'help the') 67 and a third.

ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
ferret79 wrote:
as for working for no pay can i say that i for one do it on a regular basis by helping the aged as a volunteer so you see some of us do work for no pay and are proud of it. Embarassed

So will you come down here from Coventry tomorrow morning and fix these bits back on my greenhouse? It's a bit dangerous for me, teetering on a wonky stepladder at my age and my diabetic wife can't help.

Or is it just occasional 'help the aged' volunteer work you do, y'know, not like a proper, every day, full time, unpaid job, not like the musicians whose work gets stolen and downloaded and burned onto CDs? You well miss the point don't you?

Well Dennis you realy do think your a bloody smart arse dont you, well sorry but i dont intend to waste my time with you as you are clearly trying to score points with your uncalled for remarkes and accusations etc as i have better things to do rather than augue with someone that is clearly being sarchastic and i have no intention of doing a running battle with you because your comments and sarchasm are uncalled for, has anyone ever told you that sarchasm is the lowest form of witt. Go and get a life and / or target some other mug to augue with as i'm just not interested.

Dennis, aged (as in 'help the') 67 and a third.

TomTom 940 Live
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DennisN"]
ferret79 wrote:

Well Dennis you realy do think your a bloody smart arse dont you, well sorry but i dont intend to waste my time with you as you are clearly trying to score points with your uncalled for remarkes and accusations etc as i have better things to do rather than augue with someone that is clearly being sarchastic and i have no intention of doing a running battle with you because your comments and sarchasm are uncalled for, has anyone ever told you that sarchasm is the lowest form of witt. Go and get a life and / or target some other mug to augue with as i'm just not interested.

TomTom 940 Live

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: