Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Covered Gatso
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Covered Gatso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8_BALL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Covered Gatso Reply with quote

Hi all

I live on the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk boarder and travel up and down the A14/A11

On the google map it shows a grey 70 ie it has been deleted from the database (GATSO:2858@70)

But the camera is still there its just been covered over with the orange plastic

My question is why are they deleted when these can be uncovered by the Police Police at any time and if the database is only updated on a month to month rotation alot of ppl could get caught out

Hope someone can clear this up

Thanks mark
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Covered Gatso Reply with quote

8_BALL wrote:

My question is why are they deleted when these can be uncovered by the Police Police at any time and if the database is only updated on a month to month rotation alot of ppl could get caught out

because it's not in use so is classed as 'inactive' in our database. updates are released, normally, 2 or 3 times a month so at the most there would only be 1 or so days where it's not in the database. you shouldn't be speeding anyway ;)

MaFt
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO if the camera is only covered over, and is temporarily inactive for maintenance etc, and can therefore be very quickly put back into service - it should still appear in the database. Better to be aware of the possibility of it being active than not knowing it's there at all.
Only if the device has been physicaly removed from the road-side should it be removed from the database.
Again, only IMHO.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Covered Gatso Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

because it's not in use so is classed as 'inactive' in our database. updates are released, normally, 2 or 3 times a month so at the most there would only be 1 or so days where it's not in the database. you shouldn't be speeding anyway ;)

MaFt

But that's assuming someone passes it as soon as it is re-activated and immediately submits it to the database. There are many reasons why this may not happen.

Totally agree with the last point.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered Gatso Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
because it's not in use so is classed as 'inactive' in our database.

I'm with 8-ball here (welcome, by the way!). I would rather that the database err on the side of caution. If I get a speed camera warning, I check my speed and look for the camera.

Maybe it's a live one, maybe it's wrapped in plastic, maybe it's been vandalised 8) but please let us drivers decide - it's no hardship to get the occasional false alert. I would MUCH prefer that than to NOT be warned about a camera location.

MaFt wrote:
updates are released, normally, 2 or 3 times a month so at the most there would only be 1 or so days where it's not in the database.

You guys are doing a great job, but you don't need me to tell you that it doesn't always happen that efficiently! Wink

MaFt wrote:
you shouldn't be speeding anyway ;)

Ooops, I forgot that. Please disregard everything I just wrote. Twisted Evil :P
8_BALL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply MaFt

You say the data base is updated 2-3 times a month so yes it would be added at some point but it could leave this camera unmarked for 10+ days which seems a bit much

I know the road isnt as busy as one like the M25 but it is the main route truckers take to Felixstowe

Maybe this is some thing that can be polled to see how other users feel about it ?

Me speed Embarassed never Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering it has been covered (according to various sumbissions requesting it be removed) since may 2006 i figured it may as well be marked as inactive.

still, if you want it re-activating then feel free to submit it via the normal way. if a few others request it then it MAY be put back in but i can guarantee that within an hour of a database release there'll be plenty of submissions saying it's not been in use since may last year...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: