Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's TT910 I'm confused - again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's TT910 I'm confused - again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
topref wrote:
Hi. there are 160 of the red map pin files and the file extensions now displayed in the map-pin boxes are all OV2's.

That was the reason I posted a couple of days ago asking if I could safely delet the existing ones. I'm not going to be using it overseas.
I don't have a 910 and I'm using TT5, so I'm a bit in the dark here, but I thought that the way that the TT camera warnings now worked was NOT as POIs, but as some other TT-special way, that a) means that they don't detract from the total number of POIs & b) are much less user configurable. Are you saying that the "fartkamera", "Blitzer_AT_70_TomtomOV2.ver" "fartsboks_NO_90", "Kamerat_FI_70", etc. were there from the start? Yes, I am. I have purposely not enabled them as I prefer PGPS files. If so, I'm afraid I'd suggest that you wait for someone with a 910 to confirm that these can be removed, just by deleting the files, rather than by some other TT (or Home) method.
But, if you do have 160 OV2s (rather than 80 OV2s & 80 BMPs), I think that will be the reason why you can't see the files you want within the software!
That's what I suspect and that's why I've posted questions in this forum.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am going to go through this post nice and steady and see where it gets me - Thank You for all your responses.
Andy_P2002 wrote:
Let's cut some of the cr*p, sorry, 'confusion' here, and get back to basics....

Back up everything if you haven't already.

Delete everything POI related in your map folder (ov2 / bmp / ogg if you have them)

Check you ONLY have the inbuilt TomTom-provided POIs (Nothing showing when you go to "Delete POI category" in "Manage POI").

Go to THIS website and download ONE POI category file...
Suggest third on the list: http://www.poisoft.co.uk/overlays/nationaltrust.zip

(avoid McDonalds like the plague, and the Halfords one has a possible naming problem (capital and lower-case "H" on the two files, so lets not introduce ANY confusions))
Unzip it on PC to get two files:
National_Trust.ov2 and National_Trust.bmp
Make sure you can see the three letter extensions.

Now copy those to the Europe map folder and see if the POI now appears in "Enable POI category" on the Go.

If all is OK, you can start again with ONE of these umpteen that you downloaded.

How's that sound?
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Let's cut some of the cr*p, sorry, 'confusion' here, and get back to basics....

Back up everything if you haven't already. Done
Delete everything POI related in your map folder (ov2 / bmp / ogg if you have them) Done

Check you ONLY have the inbuilt TomTom-provided POIs (Nothing showing when you go to "Delete POI category" in "Manage POI"). Delete POI category is greyed out so there can't be anything there.

Go to THIS website and download ONE POI category file...
Suggest third on the list: http://www.poisoft.co.uk/overlays/nationaltrust.zip

(avoid McDonalds like the plague, and the Halfords one has a possible naming problem (capital and lower-case "H" on the two files, so lets not introduce ANY confusions))
Unzip it on PC to get two files: Yes, two files
National_Trust.ov2 and National_Trust.bmp When I right click on each file they do, indeed show a .bmp and an .ov2 extension

Now copy those to the Europe map folder and see if the POI now appears in "Enable POI category" on the Go. Opened Drive I, the one created by the conection of the unit, and cut and pasted both files over BUT when clicking on "Enable POI category" it's not there - just the default categories starting with Airport and the last being Zoo. None of the accompanying boxes have ticks alongside them.
If all is OK, you can start again with ONE of these umpteen that you downloaded.

How's that sound?

That's how I was doing it yesterday, and guess what, it shows as being in the POI's under TT Home.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've certainly frightened me off with your big bold red writing!! I shall now leave you to those who are clever, tolerant and who can understand your confusing, conflicting, imprecise statements.
topref wrote:
Sorry, if you look at post 8 timed at 9.26pm I stated that I opened Drive I which is via Explorer NOT TT Home....
.. I'm not looking at them through TT home ..
.. I have been able to set up the Warn when approaching in the unit and I've driven around with it on and they work

Unfortunately, post 8 shows on my screen as timed at 11.26am - I suppose that's because I have a 64bit computer, it's always giving me trouble.

Further unfortunately, I misunderstood.....
Quote:
... they show in 1. TT home, 2. via the drive created
... 60 POI's. Dragged and dropped them. They show in 1. TT home and 2 via the drive.
as saying that you had looked at them in TT Home - I suppose that's because I'm getting old and developing poor eyesight and comprehension.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
That's how I was doing it yesterday, and guess what, it shows as being in the POI's under TT Home.

Hooray!! At last a clear unequivocal statement!! Clap Clap
Unfortunately, due to age and deteriorating faculties, I'm not quite sure whether it means "Yippee, at last it works", or "Oh , it still doesn't work".

How I wish I were young and intelligent again Crying or Very sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
or "Oh , it still doesn't work".
YUP!!!

topref can see them in the right hand pane of TT HOME.
Appears to be using HOME to verify existenz.
topref wrote:
... they show in 1. TT home, 2. via the drive created
... 60 POI's. Dragged and dropped them. They show in 1. TT home and 2 via the drive.

Also, the drive created is the Removable Drive ( in this case Drive I: ) that Windows creates when connectiong a USB Mass Storage Device.

I trust the Bold Red type is to distinguish toprefs follow up comments from all other chatter. I don't think it was meant to offend anybody, in any way.

Plus, the utter frustration must be getting to topref. Let's all take 5 on this, eh ?

PS. topref - tap bottom right ( sat strength ) for your versh no' ( you asked this ages ago ). Is it v6.*** ???
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK clutching at straws, here's my last try...
topref wrote:

National_Trust.ov2 and National_Trust.bmp When I right click on each file they do, indeed show a .bmp and an .ov2 extension
I don't understand why you need to right click on them. If you have Windows Explorer set up to show file extensions as suggested by BJF in post #9 then you will see the extensions in the Explorer windows (both for your PC harddisk and for the TomTom drive).
I don't think it is as important in this case as when renaming files (such as when making splashscreens), but doing it proves that there is no odd "double extension" or "no extension" going on (remember we are dealing with files that are to be used on a Linux, not Windows, based machine).

Now copy those to the Europe map folder and see if the POI now appears in "Enable POI category" on the Go. Opened Drive I, the one created by the conection of the unit, and cut and pasted both files over BUT when clicking on "Enable POI category" it's not there - just the default categories starting with Airport and the last being Zoo. None of the accompanying boxes have ticks alongside them.

I cannot tell you the exact name of your map folder, but the National_Trust.ov2 and National_Trust.bmp files should appear in the same place as cline.dat, cname.dat, and cnode.dat when looked at in a Windows Explorer pane. Yes?
Not sure if this has been suggested before, I can't face going back through it all: Do you only have ONE map folder? (if you have added or updated the maps recently there will be two). There is no chance that you are putting the files into the wrong map, or another folder?

Yes, and we can't see exactly what you are doing wrong, but wrong it certainly is, because this works for everyone else.
Who cares what home shows? If you don't see them in the POI list on the machine itself, then I'm afraid you either don't have a valid, un-corrupted, properly named ov2 file there, or you have a broken machine.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its a 910, which comes with many worldly maps pre-installed & not knowing the usage of said maps or whether some need installing afterall ( USA? ), etc....I'm going to throw this one in for a laugh.

Have you got 'Western & Central Europe' map selected?

just a thunk?
hirve
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry DennisN. It was to distinguish my text from everyone else's and to emphasise my frustration that something that cost quite a bit of money is being such a bitch to set up. It was not meant as a personal attack on you. At least I wasn't SHOUTING. That would have been rude.

Hirvevarra: yes, that's exactly why I was checking via TT Home. They must be in the unit somewhere but they're not visible via it. So, to confirm they were actually there, that's the only way I could think of to check.

The version's 6.510. When I connect via TT Home, it tells me there are no upgrades at this time. I thought I'd read somewhere here or on a newsgroup that someone had version 6.522 - or did I dream that?

Going to read Andy's latest thread now.

thank You all for persevering with me.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Andy_P2002"]OK clutching at straws, here's my last try...
[quote="topref"]
I don't understand why you need to right click on them. If you have Windows Explorer set up to show file extensions as suggested by BJF in post #9 then you will see the extensions in the Explorer windows (both for your PC harddisk and for the TomTom drive).
I don't think it is as important in this case as when renaming files (such as when making splashscreens), but doing it proves that there is no odd "double extension" or "no extension" going on (remember we are dealing with files that are to be used on a Linux, not Windows, based machine).

The view was in ICONS and not LIST. That's why I couldn't see the .OV2 extension. They do indeed have the appropriate extensions. Will do a non-bold text this time!

I cannot tell you the exact name of your map folder, but the National_Trust.ov2 and National_Trust.bmp files should appear in the same place as cline.dat, cname.dat, and cnode.dat when looked at in a Windows Explorer pane. Yes?

[color=red]Yes most definitely

Not sure if this has been suggested before, I can't face going back through it all: Do you only have ONE map folder? (if you have added or updated the maps recently there will be two). There is no chance that you are putting the files into the wrong map, or another folder? [/color] No. The unit is brand New and these are the first things that I'm installing. There is only one Folder.
Yes, and we can't see exactly what you are doing wrong, but wrong it certainly is, because this works for everyone else.
Who cares what home shows? If you don't see them in the POI list on the machine itself, then I'm afraid you either don't have a valid, un-corrupted, properly named ov2 file there, or you have a broken machine.

[color=red]Sounds like a broken machine then doesn't it because the National trust files didn't show. But why then did the Speedcams show up? Is there a chance that the pre-installed speedcam files for the continent are actually taking up the POI spaces on my particular machine?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you sent it back? - if not here is one other idea we haven't considered as yet - try resetting the device Please see HERE for the location of the Reset switch. If a standard press and release doesn't cure the fault, try pressing and holding the reset button for 30 seconds (it is best to use a pin for this - some paper clips can bo too larger diameter). Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we miss that suggestion? Rolling Eyes
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't. I've not sent it back and have followed Mike's advice. And here's what happened.

Did what Hirvevarra suggested but I knew it was the correct map as the speedcams were showing. Double checked it and that was the case.

The software version number is v6.510.

Now. Carried out Mike's suggestion. All fine so I began to re-install.

Now Andy, I went back to your suggestion and dowloaded and installed the National trust POI. Hey presto, it's in my unit. Problem sorted (or so I thought).

Downloaded the PGPS Speedcam database. Installed, and they're there. I've also set the "Warn within X yards".

Went into the main PGPS POI database and just downloaded four fuel locations (Teso, Asda, Morrisons and (I think) Sainsbury's).

They're not showing Crying or Very sad

It's the same again. But due to the fact that the National Trust one is, then it's not down to my unit - or is it? What do you guys think?

I've not downloaded the 60 previous selections. I thought I'd do a few at a time and it still hasn't worked.

Now. When I look in Drive "I" on my PC, which is the TomTom unit, it does indeed show that the fuel files are there.

I read and understand the advice given a day or so ago that the TT POI's are dealt with in a different way and are not counted toward the 100 POI's allowed but when I count each red map-pin file in drive "I", there are 105 - which include the pre-installed ones plus my PGPS Speedcams plus the fuel ones mentioned earlier.

Does anyone think that it's time for me to delete the foreign speed POI's to see whather that makes room for the PGPS POI's that I really want my unit to show?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we are making some progress at long last, could I suggest you take a long and hard look at the Western Europe Map folder and identify exactly how many files there are in the folder that end with the ov2 extension, do this via Windows Explorer NOT TomTom Home, this will give a true quantity of the POI files resident on the device.

The reset will not delete any files previously stored on the device, it simply resets the unit back to a known configuration, so its quite possible the POI files you loaded are still in the folder, please report back how many ov2 files you actually have as this sounds to be the problem now - Mike

PS I cannot believe we got this far without suggesting the reset option! - one to remember in future, as we seem to be getting a large number of queries lately WRT POI's and rlated problems (mostly on the One V3)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

PS I cannot believe we got this far without suggesting the reset option! - one to remember in future, as we seem to be getting a large number of queries lately WRT POI's and rlated problems (mostly on the One V3)

But has it solved any of them? Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: