Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - **Clean off those tell-tale windscreen mount suction rings**
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

**Clean off those tell-tale windscreen mount suction rings**
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: **Clean off those tell-tale windscreen mount suction rings** Reply with quote

When removing the TomTom use a MicroFibre cloth, available as a car windscreen cleaning cloth from Tesco for £1.30, to wipe away the tell tale suction cup rings left when taking the windscreen mount off.
The cloth is amazing as a windscreen cleaner, much better than the demister pads you get, is washable and works amazingly, simple and very effective at getting the grime off your windscreen Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I park outside the local criminal's house! Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: **Clean off those tell-tale windscreen mount suction rin Reply with quote

Bobbin wrote:
When removing the TomTom use a MicroFibre cloth, available as a car windscreen cleaning cloth from Tesco for £1.30, to wipe away the tell tale suction cup rings left when taking the windscreen mount off.
The cloth is amazing as a windscreen cleaner, much better than the demister pads you get, is washable and works amazingly, simple and very effective at getting the grime off your windscreen Wink

Don't you think your taking things a bit far when comes to removing your TomTom device? I can just about see the point of removing it from the bracket and either hiding it or taking it with you but using wipes on the windscreen?

Next thing we know you'll be leaving dog-eared Ordnance Survey maps on the dashboard and a compass just in an effort to convince your would be sat-nav thief that your extremely clean windscreen, well in one corner at least, is not normally the source of a sat-nav unit and that you navigate using old fashioned paper maps all the time.

Don't live your life in such a restricted way just because of the minority. Enjoy your sat-nav and enjoy your car !!

Smile Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wipe my window too and no, i don't think it is taking it too far!

thieves, however low they may be in our eyes, are not thick. if they see a suction mark on a window they will assume the sat nav has been left in the car. all it takes is to smash a side window or bust your lock to have a quick check - if it's not there then they haven't lost anything but you have a couple of hundred quid repair bill to pay...

MaFt
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i wipe my window too and no, i don't think it is taking it too far!

thieves, however low they may be in our eyes, are not thick. if they see a suction mark on a window they will assume the sat nav has been left in the car. all it takes is to smash a side window or bust your lock to have a quick check - if it's not there then they haven't lost anything but you have a couple of hundred quid repair bill to pay...

MaFt

Up here in Bonny Scotland we must have the thick thieves then because I've never removed my bracket and very very rarely remove the sat-nav unit. On one occasion I parked up on a main street and inadvertantly left my drivers door window completely open (don't ask!) and was away from the car for nearly 2 hours. Upon my return, everything was still in place with nothing touched !! I've used after-market sat-nav units for 3 years now.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't happen in bradford...
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: **Clean off those tell-tale windscreen mount suction rin Reply with quote

[quote="hijacker
Don't you think your taking things a bit far when comes to removing your TomTom device? I can just about see the point of removing it from the bracket and either hiding it or taking it with you but using wipes on the windscreen?
Don't live your life in such a restricted way just because of the minority. Enjoy your sat-nav and enjoy your car !! Smile Smile[/quote]

Unfortunately evidence has shown that cars are being been broken into because of telltale marks on windscreens. Plenty of Police forces advise wiping away 'sucker circles' and in fact some police stations are even issuing dusters

Obviously it's a personal decision but failing to take all precautions may just leave you enjoying clearing up broken glass, dealing with the police, filling in insurance forms and looking at the space where your SatNav used to be
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In common witha lot of other places this is a problem in the Greater Manchester area. All the steps discussed are necessary.

The police did a sting op in Manchester recently:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/231/231626_car_park_crooks_caught_on_film.html
dpmiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepping back a touch, notice the reduction in ICE theft in recent years? I'm gonna postulate that as satnav devices become cheaper and more commonplace they'll become less interesting to the petty thief...
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never removed the cradle from my windscreen and my old Ipaq based system used to live on a shelf under the steering wheel - not had any problems in 2 years or so.

BUT, I'm thinking of making a sticker to put next to the cradle that says "if it ain't in the bracket, it ain't in the car!" although I suppose that could earn me a smashed window for cheek. Rolling Eyes
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the theft of ICE has reduced over recent years as the manufacturers improved vehicle security and also devised better ways of installing it i.e. split units, units built into dashboards, etc

It's the same reason that theft of the built in satnavs that come supplied with vehicles, either as standard or optional extra, is fairly non-existent.
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a bit of advice to those who find is necessary to remove all implications to a would be thief that there is no SatNav in the car. If there were two cars in a car park, one with suction marks and one without, it would not take a genius thief to make his split second decision to attempt the smash and grab on the car with an indication there is a SatNav device.

"Prevention is better than cure"
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a card which I place in my empty TT1 holder which says, in big letters, 'NEVER left in the vehicle'. And when parking I very obviously remove the TT and place it into its bag (old lens case actually) and then equally obviously place it in my rucksac/coat pocket/whatever, in case The Scrotes are watching. Seems the best compromise, since we're all agreed that removing sucker/wiping window is a real nuisance and won't help if (a) Scrotes are watching (b) you then leave the unit in the car.

Personally I'd bring back capital punishment for theft. But, you say, surely you mean corporal punishment? Er, well.... Gun Shoot Out
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vehicle was broken into between xmas and new year!!!

Satnav (2 systems, 1 Tomtom, 1 factory fitted) around £1200 NOT taken.
Pioneer bluetooth cd/radio, latest model around £450 NOT taken.
Dvd player/monitor + discs etc around £1100 NOT taken.
2 fairly old mobile phones around £150 NOT taken.

So what was taken???

A wheelchair out of the boot, value...free!!!! And even then they left the footrests behind!!!

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
My vehicle was broken into between xmas and new year!!!
So what was taken???
A wheelchair out of the boot, value...free!!!! And even then they left the footrests behind!!!

Must have been one of those Granny hoodlums they had on Monty Python, who wanted it to convert to a motorised Zimmer Frame.

NukeThemAll wrote:
I have a card which I place in my empty TT1 holder which says, in big letters, 'NEVER left in the vehicle'. Gun Shoot Out

I have an A4 size notice, plastic laminated, saying "Courier delivering to [large space for dry-wipe pen to write address and time of arrival] - My Mobile Phone number 07903 xxx xxx", which I place in my windscreen. The Traffic Warden stuck the penalty notice on the windscreen to cover it from view. I hope your Scrotes are more observant and brighter than my Traffic Wardens. Pistol Shoot Out

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: