Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Number of POI's allowed on the new 'Seamless Europe' Map??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Number of POI's allowed on the new 'Seamless Europe' Map??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
If you use the SCBD camera database for Europe, all the files can be downloaded as one set of files. You choose which countries you want to include in the set (Ctrl Click) and leave out the countries you don't need.

So I have two sets of cameras, the PGPSW ones for UK and the SCDB ones for the rest of Europe. So about 50 files in all.

So what's this SCBD then, please??

I've always got the S-C POI's for the different countries from a variety of sources, gpspassion , radarfix, poigps, etc. so the S-C's are in country specific files. I could merge them into one I suppose, but frankly can't be bothered, especially if this has been done in the SCBD 'all Europe' file.

So any info on SCBD would be gratefully received, tah!!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

http://www.scdb.info/en/
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I got my 910 and discovered this site, I was wondering how you could possibly need 40 POIs with the v5 s/w, let alone 100 with v6 that I have.

But I've just exceeded the limit Embarassed

Call me sad (fx:ducks) but I like to see the different icons to show WHAT the POI is, so that means loads of different categories. If it's a McDonalds, I want to see those yellow arches on the screen!

So come on TomTom, you may think that 100 is enough, but it ain't. Surely you can give us a decent limit with the next point upgrade of software as soon as possible please? Pretty please? Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVRHack2 wrote:
If it's a McDonalds, I want to see those yellow arches on the screen!......
So you have found a use for the POI Warning sound named Cow? - I often wondered what that was for.
Seriously though, if you use the Fuel POI consolidate the lot into one POI Category, this will reduce the files down, and lets face it if you need fuel does it really matter what badge is on the forecourt?
You need to be selective about which POI to install - which ones do you really need, yes it would be nice to throw the whole lot at the unit, but that isn't realistic for most users - Mike
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the SCBD POIs reacy with the PGPSW POIs?

Do we get a double up on the UK POIs and also, how often are the SCBD ones updated?

I get my PGPSW ones without charge - as I submitted to the database - and I don't want to everything up and have to pay in the meantime.

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVRHack2 wrote:
Before I got my 910 and discovered this site, I was wondering how you could possibly need 40 POIs with the v5 s/w, let alone 100 with v6 that I have.

But I've just exceeded the limit Embarassed
. . .
So come on TomTom, you may think that 100 is enough, but it ain't. Surely you can give us a decent limit with the next point upgrade of software as soon as possible please? Pretty please? Smile

Well I did just wonder if this could be an issue with the 'Europe Map' and AVR has shown that it is for him, and I suspect others.

Visiting 6 or so countries does produce less than 18POI's/country which is way less favourable than the Seperate Country Maps of Europe even with v5.xxx.

I realise that it's possible to conflate some of the seperate POI categories but I prefer having the country specific POI's, like Auchan, Carrefor , Morrisons, Safeway and Decathelon etc. rather than a generic Euro-supermarkets category.

So I'm staying with the Seperate Country Maps and 'switching' Maps at a convenient point; something I've never found particularly arduous, especially with PLUS maps.

PS Thanks sgould for that S-C link. Any idea how the GB element compares with the pgps S-C POI's??
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're wise DocL - sadly I only have the Europe map so don't get the option.

Mike A's right - petrol stations don't matter a damn what the brand is, just that they're there. But for me I couldn't agree with you more - I want to know what kind of supermarket it is, what kind of restaurant it is etc. etc. and as many of the brands are different in different countries (although not McDonalds for the kids Confused) you hit that 100 limit on the Europe map pretty darned quick.

And worst of all, I'm not sure why it's there!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
AVRHack2 wrote:
If it's a McDonalds, I want to see those yellow arches on the screen!......
So you have found a use for the POI Warning sound named Cow? -

Thought a chainsaw sound would be more appropriate.... either for the poor McD-destined cows or the rainforests being chopped down to provide grazing for them. :x

Off topic? Moi?
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen guys, whilst I care if the planet's getting knacked, what I don't care about is where the food comes from - if it tastes good, it could be the hoofs or a**e of whatever is going!!!!

Sorry if that offends, but taste is all.. after environment of course..., and lack of cruelty to animals....

B****er - thinking about it, there's lots of things more important than the taste....

But what animal it's from, or which bit of its anatomy isn't one for me :D
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you like "ears, nose and testicle burgers"?

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furryfred wrote:
so you like "ears, nose and testicle burgers"?

Best bit mate.... 8O
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at the SCDB cameras, there seemed to be enough to be useful in Europe. So I got them. I downloaded the set as a .kml file and looked at it on GoogleEarth. Browsed the local area in N London and found that the PGPSW database had several more cameras than SCDB. So I only use the SCDB for Europe (downloaded as one set of files). I still use the PGPSW set for UK.

SCDB suggest you update their database weekly, but I only do it just before a continental trip.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sgould, I guess £7 isn't too bad for the whole of Europe.

Looking at S-C POI's for Italy that I've just got, I notice far more MOBILE ones than fixed ones. And in France the mobile ones can really be anywhere; I've watched a couple being set up!!

Best policy is to make sure you're within the limit.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: No TT POI's in the Italy Map. Reply with quote

Whoops forgot to post this.

In looking for Italian POI's ([url]poigps.com[/url]) I noticed on my Italian Map (up-dated version) that there are NO Tomtom in-built POI's at all!! It's completely blank.

So all POI's have to be user-added ones. I've got to near 40 already and I haven't finished yet!!

Is Italy de-nuded of POI's in the 'Europe Map'??
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely shed loads of TomTom standard POIs in Rome on the Europe map that comes with the 910.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: