Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi question from past tomtom user
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi question from past tomtom user

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Nuvi question from past tomtom user Reply with quote

I am just about to purchase a new satnav to replace my tomtom one (v1) that was stolen a couple of weeks ago.

I'm considering a tomtom one(V2) or 510 in order to stay with a system I'm already familiar with. However, on closer inspection, the nuvi range seems to be really good.

I guess I'm looking at the 360 or 660, but my question is the same regardless of which nuvi I select.

That is, how do they handle the speed camera warnings?

Could someone please explain exactly what is displayed and how the warnings noises work, as well as the level of user adjustability.

Many thanks, Dave.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, the basic bongs the Garmin units make are quite usable they alert you to the sat nav and a quick glance will inform you of the warning / speed from an easy to read banner accross the top of the screen.

Recent advances have allowed wav files to be used for speed camera warning, it is not quite 100% as yet, the warnings seem to go off more than once but this is public beta test software, it does show Garmin are movig in the right direction though. In use I find the 310D a decent device, it offers the hands free, controls the phone easily and the RDS TMC works (well it does most of the time) - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, newer firmware always displays the icons on screen too and, after an initial warning, alerts you when you are over the set speed.

MaFt
bazzam111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fave,
Ive just swapped from a TT700 to the 660 'cos my TT700 got stolen.
IMO no brainer 660 beats 700 and by the looks the 910 as well (too many gimmicks)
Cameras work OK now I've got the hang of it.
Free traffic info clinched it for me however bear in mind you have to have it plugged in to the car to get he info.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: