Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v6.52 firmware and TomTom Speed camera database.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v6.52 firmware and TomTom Speed camera database.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: v6.52 firmware and TomTom Speed camera database. Reply with quote

Okay, I know that the most sensible answer is use the PocketGPS database the same way that I always have, but i'm sure i'm not the only user to have made a bad buy ... ;-)

I have a Go Classic, which after ages of using last year's map and old firmware I have updated. I now have a freshly downloaded UK map, v6.52 firmware and have installed the lot on a fresh Kingston 512Gb SD card. I installed the lot using TomTom Home, and in a weak moment subscribed to TomTom's speed camera database. Which doesn't work. On TomTom Home the speed camera data downloads, and apears to install on the Go as POIs, but according to TomTom the v6.52 firmware no longer treats the TomTom database POI but has a new menu button for "safety" cameras via the TomTom plus menu button. Which is greyed out. Hmmm. I have tried a complete reformat of the SD card and repeat installation of TomTom Home with the same results. Looking elsewhere (Expansys forum) I see someone has had a similar problem with a TTG 700, but that was down to a device code problem, and my device code is correctly registered on the TomTom site. I know the original Go lacks Bluetooth / Wireless and thus cannot upload speed camera locations or use any of the other Plus services like Traffic, but it does say the safety camera database should still work.

Yes, I know, i'm an idiot for not subscribing to the Pocket GPS database which served me well when it was free, and will subscribe as penance, but if anyone knows how to fix this i'd be most grateful.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=5327
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found that yesterday but no amount of tinkering with the menus will get me to the Safety Camera menu pictured in the link. The new firmware installs okay, and everything downloads via TomTom Home okay but I can't get to the safety camera menu (I have enabled all menus items).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, did you have a custom menu installed (possibly from POICapture)?
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's a completely fresh install on a newly formatted SD card. App 6.52, OS 1387, GPS v1.21 Boot 4.86, Map UK/IE with MRE v660.1219.

http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?i=112333&thread=2630

This is the only other advice I can find from somebody who had a similar problem with a Go 700, but following it to the letter doesn't work.

The REALLY weird thing is that if I connect the Go to TomTom Home and use My Go to use it, I get a 3 page main menu with a working link to Tom Tom Plus services. Using this, I can enable the cameras and view them on the map. If I go through the preferences menu I can set my Plus account details correctly. As soon as I leave My Go and try and use the device in its stand alone state my main menu is back to 2 pages and there is no icon there for me to access the Plus services and speed camera options. I'm getting a headache...
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you currently have both the original map and the new UK map stored on the same SD Card? If so when it installs the speed cameras it maybe installing them to the map your not currently using, If so try switching maps and see if the greyed out button becomes available.

I have GB plus major roads of western europe map and Western Europe and it always installs the TomTom Speed cameras to the GB plus major roads of western europe.

I dont use them and haven't even subscribed but for some reason TomTom Home keeps updating the speed cameras.
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my original and first updated maps are on separate SD cards. The new map and software is on a fresh SD card.
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, after spending a bit more time reading the forums (not been here for ages) i've given up and subscribed to the Pocket GPS World database. There is something reassuring about putting those nice little .ov2 files in the right folder myself, as I know from past experience they'll work! If i'd have only done that in the first place I could have saved myself the 29 Euros TomTom have got out of me for a non functioning speed camera database.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: v6.52 firmware and TomTom Speed camera database. Reply with quote

jdatkinson wrote:
I know the original Go lacks Bluetooth / Wireless and thus cannot upload speed camera locations or use any of the other Plus services like Traffic, but it does say the safety camera database should still work.

Pure guesswork (and you're doing the wise thing and subscribing to be able to get the PGPSW cameras), but isn't this the problem - no Bluetooth? When I disable Bluetooth on my GO700 or 710, the phone icon is greyed or otherwise unavailable, so I'd think you can't get into the PLUS menu to activate the cameras without being able to use PLUS, which requires Bluetooth.

Another thought - would the PLUS menu work whilst you are in HOME on your PC to enable you to activate them? If it does, DON'T DO IT - YOU'LL ONLY REGRET IT when you discover you can't set the warning distance or vary the warning sound.

Expensive "down to experience", but you sound richer than I'm good looking! Crying or Very sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the absence of a reply to TomTom i'll just have to put this one down to a bad choice on my part and resign myself to losing the cash (believe me, i'd sooner not). Everything I read suggests that the PGPSW databse is both more comprehensive and more versatile in that one can vary the warning distances. I installed it via TomTom Home (I had the .ov2 version as well just in case) and everything was up and running in minutes. I'll road test it on the festive run out to various relatives, but it certainly looks like normal service is resumed.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdatkinson wrote:
Everything I read suggests that the PGPSW databse is both more comprehensive and more versatile in that one can vary the warning distances.

Rich AND literate. The world's your oyster. Laughing You COULD actually test them now if you fancied it - do a demo run (set at 100% speed or the warnings won't sound).

All you need now are the .ogg files for spoken camera warnings instead of the standard sounds.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working well. TomTom's response was identical to the letter to that found in the link to Expansys posted above. Shame i've tried that already and it didn't work...
kendo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Safety Camera Alerts Reply with quote

I too have subscribed to the Camera Alerts d/b - mailnly because I wanted the Traffic Alerts and to get the Cameras was only an additional 10 euros. The fact that it is now separate to all the other POIs and you cannot change the alert sounds or distance thresholds is a pain and from some of the other postings it sounds as though the Traffic Alert is no great shakes either. Haven't really used either in anger yet as it is a RIDER bought for my motorcycle and the weather has not been good enough for any long distance ventures recently. I know of the PGPS camera d/b (used previously before buying TomTom) but is there an alternative Traffic Alert System that will work on the TomTom Rider?

Kendo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: