Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi300 Sound Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi300 Sound Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Nuvi300 Sound Query Reply with quote

pat172 wrote:
As for volume my nuvi is pretty loud only let down is you cant turn the mp3 player up to the max as it has no bass - Problem solved by having a cd player with an Aux in for an mp3 device. My garmin now stores the mp3s and they play through the head unit!

Pat

Please can someone explain in non-tech speak how I can get my Garmin Nuvi300 to play my MP3s through my car stereo/speakers?

I believe that Garmin can supply a special wire that achieves this?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The socket on the bottom right of the Nuvi (as you look at the screen) is an audio out headphone jack. If your car stereo has an AUX input jack, you can go to Maplins / audio shop and buy an audio jack cable to connect the two together.

Garmin do not supply this cable.
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the ONLY way to get the sound through the car stereo system?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - what other ways were you thinking might be possible?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other consideration is an FM injection unit, where the audio signal is converted to RF and sent into the aerial lead of the car receiver, these are different to the FM Modulator units which are sold on e-bay and PC World - Modulators cause RF emissions within a controlled RF band, their use (in the UK) currently requires a license (this might change very soon though).

The FM injection unit doesnt actually transmit a signal via radio, so it is technically legal to use, have a look at L75AY from Maplins - they work very well - Mike
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is something I`m in the process of sorting at the moment, I drive a citroen C2 so having had probs with the volume on my nuvi, (fine with mp3`s though a bit "tinny" not so hot on the voice directions etc especially with the window open a bit). I called into the citroen dealers and told them what I wanted to do, they told me there was another wiring loom available for my car for the stereo system which has a 3.5 plug! attached, they fit this and then re-set the stereo ie: it will then have an auxilary input on the stereo also for mp3 players etc (3.5mm plug). Now this cost £18 for the new wiring loom and around £30 /40 to fit it and set it up, all because I cant hear the bl**dy thing. Mind you I was going to buy some stereo speakers the other day in comets to connect the nuvi to, they were £40, small and slim.

So depending on the car you have check out the dealers and see what they have, I think these days most car makers have the same type of thing available.

Regards....dil

Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet hotlips69 doesnt know if he /she is comming or going with all this advice...... Laughing

oooooops.....Dil

Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, have now had this little job done, I can now connect my nuvi and the mio to the stereo. The mp3 playback on both of them is brilliant , obviously I can now control the bass and treble etc. On the nuvi I can play the music and have voice guidance at the same time as it interupts the music when it gives the directions, I cant do this on the mio.

Navigation / directions wise, the mio is a lot clearer, the nuvi "emily" sounds a bit muffled so I will have to experiment a bit with that maybe change voices or without the TTS.

Regards....Dil

mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotlips69 - If you can find out what make you car H/U is then have a look through this list to find the adapter that plugs into the back of your H/U, so it acts as a AUX input, then enter the PC7 code number into the search bar here to find the price and availability.

All you need then is this lead that will connect the H/U adapter lead to the headphone jack on the Nuvi.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi300 Sound Query Reply with quote

if you have a tape deck in your stereo then most pound shops will have a jack - to - tape adaptor. originally invented so you could use a portable cd player in the car but handy for mp3 player and satnav too Smile

fm transmitters are now legal in the uk so that's another option.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: