Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Official TT speed camera database & TT One v2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Official TT speed camera database & TT One v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby_t_16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Official TT speed camera database & TT One v2 Reply with quote

Can you have the voice wanrings work with the official database from TomTom and can you have it to tell you the speed of the road?

Please excuse me if this has been asked before as im vefy new to it all, and havent even got my TomTom yet (its a xmas present). I know its the TT 1 v2 regional.

Also if there is anything else anyone can recommend for me to get the best out of this unit. I was considering getting the combination of the Camera database and Traffic but im unsure if the traffic will work with me phone (being the 3 network and after contacting 3 not really getting anywhere)

Thanks in advance

Robert.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official TT speed camera database & TT One v2 Reply with quote

Bobby_t_16v wrote:
I was considering getting the combination of the Camera database and Traffic but im unsure if the traffic will work with me phone (being the 3 network and after contacting 3 not really getting anywhere)

Thanks in advance

Robert.

Someone on this forum says they have managed to get a GPRS connection via THREE, but despite all my calls to customer support and visits to the local THREE shop, it has proved to be impossible.
I paid THREE (£15) to unlock the phone I replaced in July (Nokia 6630), and got an Orange PAYG sim. It works fine ; no set up needed it was all automatic and TomTom traffic worked well for me, and seems better than the TMC according to the reports I read here. My months trial has expired now, but I will take out an annual subscription.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official TT speed camera database & TT One v2 Reply with quote

Bobby_t_16v wrote:
Can you have the voice wanrings work with the official database from TomTom and can you have it to tell you the speed of the road?.

Whilst I'm naturally biased there are plenty of others here who will tell you to dump the TomTom database (it's no more 'official' than ours) and subscribe to the one we collate instead. It's much more accurate and current.

I'll say no more on the subject but I drive 40,000 miles a year and wouldn't want to be relying on their database, it has some very serious omissions and inaccuracies. Ours was the first and remains the best and most accurate.
Bobby_t_16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, im was thinking most people would have recommended the camera database on here as a few already had.

What about the voices with spped limits with the tomtom speed camera database ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby_t_16v wrote:
Thanks, im was thinking most people would have recommended the camera database on here as a few already had.

I don't use it so couldn't say, sorry.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby_t_16v wrote:

If the TT camera data base won't even allow you to alter the warning distance or bongs etc I'd be very surprised if you could link real voices to them.

Just dump the TT ones & use from here instead Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren drives 40,000 miles a year, I've already driven 49,000 in the last 9 months (and I'm having a slow year!). I tried TT cameras just for a couple of days with my new (1st December) GO710 and they were rubbish. I wouldn't be without PGPSW camera database which I've been using for about 16 months now. The comparison with the TT ones just isn't worth mentioning. And quite right, all you can have is bleep at the distance chosen by Tom Tom. With PGPSW I can have a nice lady shouting "Ey up Lad .. speed camera ahead, speed limit 40 miles an hour" when I've got 1,000 yards to go, or any other distance I fancy.

As for Traffic. Well, I had thought what a brilliant idea, I'll go for this. But I've read all the horror stories about TT's nice new RDS TMC or whatever it's called and there's no way I'll touch that. With the new GO I gave a try to the (free trial) TT Traffic via GPRS (Vodafone contract, Nokia 6230i). It worked beautifully. But then I found it was not greatly up to date - last Friday as I drove up the M5, I saw on the southbound side an accident clearing up nearly finished, with traffic already flowing again. It wasn't on the TT traffic (I had it set to update every 15 minutes). As I returned about an hour later, the Traffic suddenly changed to show the accident and 34 minutes delay. Too late - it was already clear. So, whilst the GPRS Traffic service obviously works, I decided not to bother because it costs (subscription plus GPRS charges) and I can easily get just as good information by having Radio 5 (693 & 909 AM) on whilst I'm driving.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Bobby_t_16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the update periods ?

Reading over the various threads i know many people have said it is a waste, but i was hoping that tomtom had possibly updated their system to provide a better service. Im thinking i wont be going for the traffic but definatly for the camera's via here and possibly the verbal warnings. Im just looking to find the person of preference.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby_t_16v wrote:
What is the update periods ?

Reading over the various threads i know many people have said it is a waste, but i was hoping that tomtom had possibly updated their system to provide a better service. Im thinking i wont be going for the traffic but definatly for the camera's via here and possibly the verbal warnings. Im just looking to find the person of preference.

What do you mean by update? TT Traffic or TT cameras?
For Traffic, their system simply gets you into the traffic information system - I don't know much about it, but it's broadcast in a magic way and the information is similar to the traffic news you get over the radio - well, it converts into symbols and stuff on your screen, not a nice lady talking. It WOULD be very good in my opinion if it were red hot up to date, but the only decent example I witnessed was at least an hour out of touch.
The TT cameras updates I don't know about - the preinstalled ones were useless, got to be many months out of date and they don't give you a free camera update to trial. What I do know is you have to subscribe. I'm not sure how much, but I guess rather more than the £19 you pay for membership of this site where you get all this forum stuff (worth more than the subscription in my opinion - I've had tremendous good advice from it myself) PLUS the camera downloads thrown in with the membership. The cameras on this site have been updated as follows ..
22 July
17 Aug
30 Aug
16 Sep
3 Oct
10 Oct
25 Oct
8 Nov
20 Nov
30 Nov
I may have missed something when I was away on holiday in September.
At the above rate, I'd guess another update isn't far off. Chances are they may have the temporary cameras "they" put up last week at a roadworks near you, whilst Tom Tom still haven't deleted the ones from last year's roadworks.
You pays yer money and takes yer chance, but with advice from this website you'll get pointed in the right direction.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: