Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Patch due
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Patch due
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily enough i only look there by chance today

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
funnily enough i only look there by chance today

Does this mean another CoPilot user is loosing their enthusiasm? Such a shame, because even though I am also loosing my enthusiasm, fundemantally, I still believe that it is the better product.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be but i am running copilot so my gf can see where i am at any time
as ive just amnaged to get a t-mobile compact 3 that came with cp6 only looked to see if anything was worth unpdating to

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since upgrading my CoPilot 6 with the latest patch I am, on the whole happy, howver one area that's very annoying is the constant 'Safety Camera ahead' announcements.

Driving on the A3 from London towards Wokign yesterday and at one point I counted 6 of these one immediately after another.

Time to log another call with ALK!

Clive
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I been watching this thread and see you guys ahve a patch.
HOWEVER, i do not see this patch on the US site, latest patches are from March 06.
Can someone please point me to the right link ?
Thank you
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirhardi wrote:
Hi,
HOWEVER, i do not see this patch on the US site, latest patches are from March 06.
Thank you

It's on the first page of this thread.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirhardi wrote:
Hi,
Thank you

Just as with the last time - you have to consider the possibility that this is a UK (or European) specific patch, and that it is correct that you are not seeing it.

I know that I (and others) have experiences problems when running patches which were only available on the US site. So proceed with caution, and make sure that you have a backup position, or are prepared to reload from scratch if everything doesn't work out.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late coming to this thread, because, owing to long-term illness, I rarely use my SatNav or look at the forums these days. For the same reason, I doubt that I'll find time to install the new patch.

I am pleased to see that, contrary to what I had come to expect, ALK have actually been listening. That is pretty clear from, for example, the re-jig to give true Favourites as well as Recent Stops. However, I would be interested to know if they have also addressed the problem of slow running and spontaneous programme exits from CP 6, which it appears may have been caused by simply adding more features over CP 5 without rewriting the software to optimise memory usage.

Like Neil01, I actually like Copilot - or, at least, I see its potential. I also share Neil's concern that they may have left it so late to act, and perhaps also done so little, that the credibility of and interest in the product may have shrunk irretrievably.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous

Quite!

I now find myself in a position where I will be considering an upgrade, and find myself trying to first guess what ALK are likely to do.

I have no idea how often updated maps will be available, I have little confidence that bugs will be fixed in a timely manner, so by right, it should be a no-brainer that TomTom wins.

BUT, there are one or two things that CoPilot does much better than TomTom. For example, once you get used to the application, planning a route using CoPilot is so much easier than with TomTom. It makes TomTom's Itinerary planning look like a bad joke. Even though it hasn't been updated as much as it should have been, the desktop application is well worth having.

If ALK could get the routing sorted out, and there is no reason why the shouldn't - unless they have someone who doesn't have any idea on how to plan a route leading the programming that is! They also need to expand the POI warning to something similar to TomTom (but with easier setting of the values - configuring the full set of cameras in TomTom is far too over complicated)

I know that TomTom is rarely beaten to the better route by CoPilot, but, if you have to follow a particular route, what is an incredible challenge with TomTom, is a breeze for those familiar with CoPilot.

If ALK could exploit what they have the makings of - I think CoPilot could quite easily make TomTom look like a Noddy application in comparison.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Does this mean another CoPilot user is loosing their enthusiasm? Such a shame, because even though I am also loosing my enthusiasm, fundemantally, I still believe that it is the better product.

It really could have been so good if they comitted a bit of development time to it and fixed the bugs but they just seemed intent on selling "upgrades" which were really just bug fixes and some minor new features.

Have they got traffic working yet? No? Well, I guess it's only been 3 years since they announced it so be patient...

I'm not sad to see the CoPilot losing market share, I'll never give ALK a penny of my money again.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I'm not sad to see the CoPilot losing market share, I'll never give ALK a penny of my money again.

I can understand your sentiments, and in many ways I agree that they are reaping what they sowed (or possibly more accurately didn't). But I can't help but feel sad at the possible loss of such potential to produce a truly brilliant application.

While still possible, time is running out for ALK. Once someone out there manages to produce such an application, I doubt that there will be room for more than two or three mainstream products, and for ALK to survive, they need to be one of them.

One thing TomTom seem to have realised is that it is the maps which drive profit. People are more prepared to pay for an updated map than for an updated application (provided that the existing one is adequate) So much so, that a company can actually afford to give the application away, and just charge for the (more frequent) map updates.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed CP 6.0.4.110 after all. I note immediately that there are still serious shortcomings that have not been addressed. I refer, for example, to:

Arrow Lack of route display on Pick-Stop-From-Map and similar screens.
Arrow Failure to display street and town names at suitable map scales.

In view of the above and of what has previously been said about CP 5 & CP 6, I too wouldn't consider paying for CP 7 until it became clear that all of the problems and shortcomings previously discussed had been remedied. That won't happen until Skippy, Neil01, I (dare I suggest) and other critics are able to state on this forum that all except the trivial is now well with Copilot. That means getting us on board and allowing us to provide the sort of help that I know some have offered in the past. It also means discontinuing practices such as failing to reply to correspondence and refusing to acknowledge or discuss the existence of shortcomings.

It may not be too late, and my guess is that most critics, including thise of us that have been the most vociferous would be only too pleased to help in any serious effort to develop the product.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion to help solve CoPilot's woes;

Move to a 'buy the maps get the application free' business model to generate revenue.

Fix the bugs (and I would include the routing algorithms in this)

Expand the safety camera subsystem into something special, with easy setting of parameters for each camera type (preferably via the PC application too with the ability to be able to transfer the settings between the PC and PPC)

Get the PPC and PC versions in line with each other AND more tightly integrated.

And finally, start to think about what is missing/could be improved and work on that - but not before the previous essential (in my opinion) issues have been sorted.

Additional things which I would consider to be useful would be:

Integrated low bridge/weight/width subsystem for the professional driver with the ability for the routing algorithm to avoid rather than just warn. I have heard the argument (not from ALK I hasten to add) that sometimes this would result in no route being generated so they provide the best they can - well wake up and smell the coffee - if your vehicle can't make it - you use a different vehicle - you don't take the route which will do the least amount of damage! Telling you the reason why you can't do it would be of invaluable help.

Working on a similar vein; being able to set areas to avoid (like some applications do) along with specific points or stretches of road would be useful, but this processing shares so much in common with the my previous suggestion, that they would probably be better integrated into the same sub system.

In many ways ALK are making real changes with each release - I would almost go so far as to suggest that if you were to compare the current release (v6.0.4.110) with what was originally released (itself a significant change to the final release of v5) you are getting into the level of change between TomTom 5.21 and v6, they just aren't providing updates to the mapping (and missing the revenue oportunity).

If ALK would just work with their (some suprisingly loyal in spite of being aware of the problems) users and work out a direction to move in they would be getting somewhere.

Also (and I speak from a computer systems development background) users do no want a mega patch every 6 months or so, they want regular bug fixes addressing a small number of issues only. The big patches, should be reserved for adding functionality (with a series of smaller patches following to sort it out!)

My apologies for ranting on - but I see so many real oportunities to produce a really useful SatNav system being squandered - rarely do companies have the ability to work with people who really know what is needed, and will provide feedback with real enthusiasm. In fact, the type of people who it would cost a small fortune to recruit. But, what do these users ask for in return - massive salaries? NO - just free updates to their application(s) - mere peanuts!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil01 writes:

Quote:
... what do these users ask for in return - massive salaries? NO - just free updates to their application(s) ...

The first thing they need, though, is some sense that ALK themselves are truly committed to the process. Perhaps Neil hit the nail on the head before, when he asked if they actually understand what users need - or is it want to know? Certainly, if those with the power over the product believe that the beta testers, and indeed those they recruit onto their staff, are there to be listened to only if they sing the praises of the existing product, nothing much will change.

To be fair, they have introduced some of the suggestions that have appeared on this forum. However, there is a very long way to go, and the impression with which one is left that any change is made grudging, and that any criticism is tantamount to sedition.
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Neil01 writes:

Quote:
... what do these users ask for in return - massive salaries? NO - just free updates to their application(s) ...

The first thing they need, though, is some sense that ALK themselves are truly committed to the process. Perhaps Neil hit the nail on the head before, when he asked if they actually understand what users need - or is it want to know? Certainly, if those with the power over the product believe that the beta testers, and indeed those they recruit onto their staff, are there to be listened to only if they sing the praises of the existing product, nothing much will change.

To be fair, they have introduced some of the suggestions that have appeared on this forum. However, there is a very long way to go, and the impression with which one is left that any change is made grudging, and that any criticism is tantamount to sedition.

You should get in touch with some of the management at http://www.alk.com/alk/management.asp . I sent an email to Alain Kornhauser when I couldn't get ALK in Europe to sell me the European maps and got a reply from him. I forget the email address that I used, but it was something like Alain.Kornhauser@alk.com or Alain.L.Kornhauser@alk.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: