Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Receiver - Warning Do Not Buy ! ! !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Receiver - Warning Do Not Buy ! ! !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: TMC Receiver - Warning Do Not Buy ! ! ! Reply with quote

As can be seen from other posts there are problems with the TMC receiver, having used TomTom products since V1 have advise anyone to say WELL WELL clear of this product.

I'm not going to repeat all the issues discussed in the other post, but I cannot beleive TomTom would consider releasing a product 8 month late that has not be tested. To make things worse is TomTom response to support questions, instead of a reply like 'We are very sorry to hear you are experiencing problems . . ." all you get is "call the support number and register a return".

In summary 3 hours of driving, 90 miles and not once did the unit lock onto any TMC channel, and thus not a single traffic update. Complete rubbish . . .
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did a 110 mile journey from Gatwick to Hornsey, near Tottenham, travelling via the Blackwall Tunnel in each direction. I received valid Traffic data for the whole of the journey, including through the tunnel bores.
gotom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had mine for a few days now and I've only managed to receive valid traffic data once for 20 minutes in over 400 miles of driving.

The unit certainly does find radio stations when the aerial is connected correctly and I have had the green circle on my traffic bar with no incidents showing virtually the whole time the RDS-TMC unit has been connected but I have realised that this does not mean that the road ahead is clear. I've hit 3 major traffic jams and had to sit them out. All because the unit had tuned it self to stations that do not transmit valid traffic data. It point blank refuses to find the only station that does transmit the data - Classic FM - even though I have been listening to that station the whole time I've been in my car so i've been in a coverage area! If only the unit would play the music from the stations it might have some use but certainly not for avoiding traffic jams.

What use is the unit (at £69 I might add) if you can't trust it? I hope Tom Tom will give me my money back.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotom wrote:
It point blank refuses to find the only station that does transmit the data - Classic FM - even though I have been listening to that station the whole time I've been in my car so i've been in a coverage area!

What use is the unit (at £69 I might add) if you can't trust it? I hope Tom Tom will give me my money back.

Firstly, as far as I understand it the transmitted level of RDS TMC information is less than the stations normal output, ie music, speech, etc so the fact that you can receive Classic FM doesn't necessarily mean the TMC receiver will pick up the RDS signal.

Also, unless you bought your receiver direct from TomTom they aren't legally obliged to give any sort of refund, repair or replacement. As your Contract Of Sale is always with the retailer it is the people who sold you the unit you should be speaking to.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: