Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New2GO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his name is Tim!
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic wrote:
Lutz,

Thanks for that - I hadn't seen the thread elsewhere on this site. For anyone who is interested, I have downloaded the latest UK map (by selecting "other device" so as to avoid getting a potentially incompatible update to TT6) and it works just dandy with TT5 on my Palm Lifedrive. The new maps have the one major road update that I was looking for, although the system does appear to run very slightly slower. I haven't done a proper road test yet though, so don't quote me on that!

Thanks again for the heads up, and eventual thanks to Tomtom!!

This is what I should have done but alas being stupid I chose the hx2490 device when upgrading, even though I only have a hx2410 figuring it was from the same ipaq family !!

Anyway it is done now and I have application 6.01. I used to to get to our depot at Stoke today and it worked exactly as TT5 did, it didn't appear slow at all, in fact maps looked a little smoother (although that was probably the sleep in my :D )

As my traffic was locked (had to reset account online this morning as treats upgrade as a different device) I just picked my best traffic avoiding route and it rerouted as fast as I would expect.

So even though I did the wrong thing with my upgrade I don't think any damage is done and I have TT6 for all it's sins
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: I'm Downgrading Reply with quote

After being a loyal ver. 2, 3, 4, and 5 customer, I've given up on Nav 6 and returned it to the seller. I could not install the North America map or activate the Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico maps. TT support has no clue on the telephone and is disinterested in helping me resolve the problem. TT online support has never responded other than to say my question is"solved" without providing an answer.

Another big drawback is TT Home. It is clumsy, slow, buggy, and unreliable. A real step backward from TT Nav 5 is no longer allowing you to install the maps to your hard drive to back them up. Further, you can not copy the DVD for backup purposes. One must carry the original DVD along if you want to install different maps while on the road.

TT Nav 6 is user hostile when compared to Nav 5 which was just about perfect. I don't why they messed it up but it probably has somnething to do with piracy. Maybe they will fix it in the coming months and I'll try again.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For your information Lost_Property the MIO 168 is a 300Mz
You're right of course. Embarassed

Quote:
Everything works, and as the maps don't seem to be vastly different, I think I might give it a miss. If I should find myself on a 'new' road, it will reroute me, so I'll still get there!
Thumbs Up :D
Trev1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic wrote:
Lutz,

Thanks for that - I hadn't seen the thread elsewhere on this site. For anyone who is interested, I have downloaded the latest UK map (by selecting "other device" so as to avoid getting a potentially incompatible update to TT6) and it works just dandy with TT5 on my Palm Lifedrive. The new maps have the one major road update that I was looking for, although the system does appear to run very slightly slower. I haven't done a proper road test yet though, so don't quote me on that!

Thanks again for the heads up, and eventual thanks to Tomtom!!

Weelogic
can you let me know how you downloaded your map. I understand that to avoid using TomTom home and upgrading to Nav 6 you select "other device". But this does not let you click on the icon for download and you have to click on to add to cart. I saw that another person on this message board did that and didn,t receive the download. I do not want to go through to add to cart by which time I will have given my credit card details if it will still not let you download without "Home" - thanks in advance
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Weelogic
can you let me know how you downloaded your map. I understand that to avoid using TomTom home and upgrading to Nav 6 you select "other device". But this does not let you click on the icon for download and you have to click on to add to cart. I saw that another person on this message board did that and didn,t receive the download. I do not want to go through to add to cart by which time I will have given my credit card details if it will still not let you download without "Home" - thanks in advance

Trev,

I couldn't click the download either at that time. I had to add to cart and wait until TT processed the order (took about 10-15 impatient minutes after payment). After that I logged in to my TT account where the revised map is shown with a green icon. Clicking the map section brings up an option to "download installer", which is an exe file that you can run or save in the normal manner.

At first I chose to run it, and it stopped halfway through the download. I then saved it to my PC and ran it. It does a standard extraction of the map files and then runs the installer similar to when you put the TT5 disk in your machine. You don't need Home, and it all installed fine on the first Hotsync. Just remember that TT treats the new map as a different product from TT5, with a new product code shown in your TT account. You have to gain an activation code through ttcode.com in the normal manner.

Hope this helps!
Trev1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic wrote:
Quote:
Weelogic

Trev,

I couldn't click the download either at that time. I had to add to cart and wait until TT processed the order (took about 10-15 impatient minutes after payment). After that I logged in to my TT account where the revised map is shown with a green icon. Clicking the map section brings up an option to "download installer", which is an exe file that you can run or save in the normal manner.

At first I chose to run it, and it stopped halfway through the download. I then saved it to my PC and ran it. It does a standard extraction of the map files and then runs the installer similar to when you put the TT5 disk in your machine. You don't need Home, and it all installed fine on the first Hotsync. Just remember that TT treats the new map as a different product from TT5, with a new product code shown in your TT account. You have to gain an activation code through ttcode.com in the normal manner.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Guys, you are missing the point slightly. You can run the latest maps with your existing TomTom Navigator 5. That way you get the best of both worlds. A decent UI (TomTom 5) and newer maps (v6.60)

Well I have just gone completely around the houses today. I bought the upgraded GB maps for 48 euros but missed the line on the TomTom website that said that TomTom Home does not work with Navigator 5. I downloaded it, spent time backing things up, and messing around ramping up to a 1 gig SD card and installed the new mapping software. All seemed to work except firstly no postcodes, so I installed the extra little bit (11 meg) for UK postcodes, then I could not find the version tab anywhere, and obviously all the camera sounds did not work.

On the end, I dumped the installation, restored my old version and am now wondering whether I have to clear off the old maps I have (Great Britain and Western America) and install clean.

Any ideas?

Running on a Dell X50, with Bluetooth adaptor
kevdyas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that TomTom should allow users who have purchased TomTom 6 already should get a free upgrade to the latest maps as there is a possibility that SD Cards and DVD's with the older version are still filtering down.

Kev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: