Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - streetpilot turned itself off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

streetpilot turned itself off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: streetpilot turned itself off Reply with quote

Have owned for 6 months or more always been totally fine. In the phones life i have done a hard reset on it once or twice before.

today i went on a 1 and a half mile journey this morning was fine. then at place did a hard reset and it found the satellites.

got in car again tonight (was using it as a passenger) and was in map mode most of the time and it just turned itself off dead. so turned it on gain and used in map mode then routing mode and was fine. i tried taking out and putting the chip back in?

Was on battery power with new 2500 Mahs i have been using since i got the i3 the batteries were fully charged this morning.

should i be worried? ???
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the batteries momenteraly lost power contact when you went over a bump or something...i would'nt worry but check the little springs inside the battery compartment...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you told the device what type of batteries you are using? go to settings/ System/ Battery Type and make sure it is set to NiMH - as you are using these batteries, it lowers the undervoltage trip point, although when in the car I would always have the device powered from the car - Mike
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i had told it its running on nimh batteries. What zogman said seems like the most plausible reason it turned itself off? but like i said ive been really gentle with the unit since i bought it.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My i3 kept turning itself off on my bike, worked out that it was doing this when mounted with the screen facing at approx. 30 degrees from horizontal. Eventually tipped it so screen was more like 45 degrees and it stopped doing it. Academic now as I have a Quest for use on the bike, the i3 still works OK in the car where it's mounted with the screen close to perpendicular.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so why would it do that iand turn off if it was spun to a certain angle? i will try setting it so it is totally level. is that the best position to put it.

i mean if there is bright sunlight or whatever its good to angle it to whatever u want it to be.

solution would be to use the cigarette lighter all the time but it shouldnt turn off and i hate wires trailing about.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's got anything to do with it:

The two buttons on the i3 appear to be part of the front fascia moulding, they are each joined to it by a couple of bendy plastic hinges. The on-off button on my i3 appears to be only hanging on by one of these meaning it can move more freely. However I doubt, when the unit is mounted with the screen upwards, that this provides the weight (or for that matter the duration) to turn the unit off as that seems to take a sustained and fairly firm press.

Using the unit on the bike I was only running on batteries so the poor connection within the battery compartment (although it seems tight) combined with the greater vibration/shock on the bike is the plausible explanation.
dab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug in the firmware before 2.9 which can shutdown the i3 in certain locations, usually traffic islands. These locations are few and far between, but i unfortunately have one a couple of miles from my house.

V2.9 firmware cured that problem, but introduced lot's more, so i am back to 2.7 and putting up with the shutdowns.

If you go the same route again, see if it goes again at the same point.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need help! just been on an hour and 15 min journey. The i3 turned itself off twice on the way there once on the way back! The unit has worked FAULTLESSLY for 12 months and has now started turning itself off about 3 times each journey (seems to be in map mode and navigation mode)

I have reset the unit

i have deleted all POIS (except the congestion charge zone one as one has to remain on the unit) Could these have been the culprits? (although i had (although one time it crashed i had all proximity alerts turned off?)

Only thoughts are -

Dodgy POI`s (now deleted)

Dodgy battery clip connection (losing contact)

Dodgy software or version of software

I havent tried it using the cigarette lighter adapter yet...

running software version 2.50 and audio 2.00 V7 maps... 2500 healthy MAH batteries NIMH and Transflash card

Unit is OUT of warranty Rolling Eyes

Any ideas?
mchnz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Try Alkaline and see if it makes a difference Reply with quote

I know this post is old. But I had a similar problem with a new 60CSx using Energizer NiMHs with plenty of charge in them. The unit shut off a several times when doing 80 km/hour while the map was scrolling - quite stable if I kept off the map. Using Alkaline batteries seem to make the problem go away. I've read that different brands of NiMH can make a difference. Plus clean the battery contacts and the batteries.
gilesme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem.

If I fire up the I3, it's fine. If I then select a place to navigate to, it immediately shuts down.

Workaround seems to be to allow it to get a good satellite lock (Green - 4 or 5 bars) first, then select where to.

I wonder if when it's got a lock on, it then uses less power ?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Try Alkaline and see if it makes a difference Reply with quote

mchnz wrote:
I know this post is old. But I had a similar problem with a new 60CSx using Energizer NiMHs with plenty of charge in them. The unit shut off a several times when doing 80 km/hour while the map was scrolling - quite stable if I kept off the map. Using Alkaline batteries seem to make the problem go away. I've read that different brands of NiMH can make a difference. Plus clean the battery contacts and the batteries.

Some rechargable AA batteries seem to have a different physical profile to 'normal' AAs. This can lead to poor contact with the conductors inside some equipment. I have a flash unit for my camera and it was very temperamental with re-chargables but fine with conventional. A bit of surgery with a Stanley knife to remove some of the interior of the battery compartment fixed it Laughing The rechargables seemed to be slightly thicker and the positive contact didn't seem to protrude as much.
gilesme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify - I never use batteries in my I3!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: