Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alturion and the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alturion and the UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Alturion and the UK Reply with quote

Hi Jean-Paul,

Is there a web site for Alturion that you could give us?

I looked in Yahoo UK and couln't see anything.

Thanks
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Alturion and the UK Reply with quote

Funnily enough it is http://www.alturion.com/

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Thanks gstenson,

Perhaps I should have looked a little longer, eh?
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately I've been trying to get a review copy in talking to the main director in the company, but still no luck. It would seem like Alturion don't want their products reviewed. Oh well!
DomLof
Occasional Visitor

With the imminent release of CoPilot 4.0 in the UK. It'll be interesting to compare the two products.

As they seem to have many common features.

I certainly would not fork out 499 euros on the software without an inpartial review of it (especially as it has not got street numbers for the UK maps).

Dom
dejongj
Regular Visitor

Dave,

That is quite unbelievable these days that you can't get a review copy especially with this site behind you...

The cynic in me makes me think that Alturion knows something about the use (perhaps lack of it) in the UK....

It is a shame as I am with DomLof on this, I would be hesitant to shelf out 499 Euros without an independent review by a team who knows the other products as well...

But TMC and those 3d views, wonder whether the clouds shows the lightning and rain as well

Ah well perhaps CoPilot 4.0 will be the one for me...
dejongj
Regular Visitor

Alturion seems a very interesting product for the pocketpc especially it is anounced that the next version will have TMC support and just take a look at the fantastic 3D view...

Unlike Navigon which currently supports TMC, Alturion has got map-data for the UK as well as part of the European package.

I was wondering whether anyone is using Alturion in the UK on a daily basis as I don't hear or see anything about this product on this website.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul
cfcjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Alturion in the UK Reply with quote

I have been beta testing Alturion for over a year in the UK (on a daily basis).

I can confirm it has street numbers and TMC in the UK.

I've been a Destinator and TomTom user in the past.

There's limits to what I can say about the product (NDA), but I wouldn't put the many hours into testing if I didn't think the product had a future or didn't have respect for the people I deal with at Alturion.

I understand there isn't a UK distributer at the moment, but it is wrong to suggest there are sinister reasons behind not releasing the product to the UK market.

I'm a big fan of TomTom which as a fully paid up user was always had space on my 2210 SD card.

I no longer feel that is necessary with the current Alturion advancements, not withstanding that I'm running beta versions, which is high praise indeed for Alturion.

3D in Alturion is ahead of anything else, I'm happy with 2D though, and the Alturion icons for POI's is far ahead of anything else. You want to see Pizza Hut, Mcdonalds,Shell,Esso etc etc then you see the real icons on the screen.

Don't forget you get a PC version as well so it is MS Autoroute + TomTom in one package. I plan journeys of 700+miles to France. Believe me on the PDA this isnt comfortable. With Alturion you can plan the route on the PC and even export the map +/- x miles either side of the route to the PDA so you don't need huge maps.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask some questions of you, although I appreciate you are under an NDA....

Is the product (with TMC support) still in Beta? Are you aware of a planned release date?

Although it supports POIs, I would envisage a lot of people would want to use it with speed camera databases - do it support this builtin?, as I don't think many (if any) of the third party POI tools support Alturion.

Steve
cfcjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a constantly evolving product so there will always be a beta version, which is what I test. The TMC version has been on general release in Europe for a while now.

There isn't a UK distributor at the moment but you can buy direct from Alturion.

There is an SDK and third party developers have added a POI detector that is/can be used for speed cameras and that is now shipped with the product AFAIK. This uses the data in ascii files that can be downloaded from many sites, has graphics of cameras and relevant speeds on the map, audible warnings and the ability of adding cameras to the database via a button press.

It also supports receiving TMC data via GPRS (mobile phone) but there isn't a server at the moment for UK data - but the infrastructure is there for it (it is done for Holland and Belgium).

You can see all the software etc on www.alturion.com including packs with the TMC receiver.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfcjohn wrote:
The TMC version has been on general release in Europe for a while now.
Thanks - I think the confusion is caused by the webpage which talks about TMC only showing TMC data for Holland / Belgium, and seems to purposefully have UK missing from the map. If you have any method of feeding directly back to Alturion, I would recommend they update this page, or at least mention UK TMC support somewhere on the website!

Quote:
There is an SDK and third party developers have added a POI detector that is/can be used for speed cameras and that is now shipped with the product AFAIK. This uses the data in ascii files that can be downloaded from many sites, has graphics of cameras and relevant speeds on the map, audible warnings and the ability of adding cameras to the database via a button press.
Supporting the POI-Sync databases (there's one here, and 1 or 2 other major sites would be a bonus over this (which does sound interesting) - again, if you can feed this back that would be good.)

Also, if you could persuade Alturion to provide a review copy to PocketGPSWorld so that they can review the product that would also be good.

Steve
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final question for now, how big is the full UK (or England and Wales if it can be split down further) on the PDA - ie what the typical space requirements to hold the full 2 country data on the PDA. I appreciate the comments about being able to store +/- x miles from the route, but I travel a fair bit, and hence would want a fairly large base area always available.

Thanks,

Steve
gpasfan1002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
I am intrigued by the fact you use the alturion software. I have been reading for the last few days and collecting information abou it before I go and buy it. However I'd appreciate your help in making the right decision. I have questions regarding the map data used by Alturion. Teleatlas has many problems in the mapdata in the UK and since Alturion uses teleatlas I was wondering if the maps are accurate and the search with post code works? Also how do you find the voice quality and the instructions and are there any wav files or its all computer generated.

Thank you

Ammar
gdornez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Belgian user of Alturion 5.3 Pro with TMC I can only suggest you follow the forum at http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/
The forum is in Dutch and you have to register but it's free.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone actually use alterion v6. If does it support tmc for the UK.

As far as I can see, support files for TMC are included for every country except uk.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: