Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lack of alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curley52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Lack of alerts Reply with quote

Hope someone can help. I've loaded the data to a Garmin I3 and it has the camera data in the Custom Points section of the i3 and has the Proximity Alerts switched on but I'm not getting any warning beeps or visible screen warning. The unit is working exactly as it was before i.e. just a sat nav.
Any ideas please?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of alerts Reply with quote

Curley52 wrote:
Hope someone can help. I've loaded the data to a Garmin I3 and it has the camera data in the Custom Points section of the i3 and has the Proximity Alerts switched on but I'm not getting any warning beeps or visible screen warning. The unit is working exactly as it was before i.e. just a sat nav.
Any ideas please?
I don't have a Garmin, so I'm working from memory here, but I think that you only get a warning if you are speeding?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which camera database have you installed to the i3 ? also can you report back which version of POILoader you have used to install the POI's to the i3.
I am running firmware 2,7 on my i3 and I get an alert when I am within proximity of a camera irrspective of speed, if I am over the speed set by the database I get additional warnings.

Please report back what versions you are using then we can assist further - Mike
Curley52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Lack of Alerts Reply with quote

Having slept on it, I found the problem!
What I'd done was to load the software using the Express method (the Garmin POI Loader recommended option). Unfortunately when using this method the alert default speed and distance options are set to zero, hence no alerts. When I used the Manual method there is an option to adjust the defaults.
Wouldn't it be an idea to set the automatic defaults to something other than zero?
Thanks anyway for the offer of help, very kind of you.
Peter.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I'd done was to load the software using the Express method (the Garmin POI Loader recommended option). Unfortunately when using this method the alert default speed and distance options are set to zero, hence no alerts. When I used the Manual method there is an option to adjust the defaults.
Wouldn't it be an idea to set the automatic defaults to something other than zero?

Never experienced that!!! Express always worked fine for me without tinkering.....
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Express always worked fine for me without tinkering.....

Me too!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Curley52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was puzzled and it took me a lot of time to find the problem, maybe it was something I did or didn't do.

When I used Express it didn't automatically give me the option of changing the alert speeds or distance and I'm guessing that they were both set to zero. The Manual method automatically comes up with a box to give the option to set the speed/distance (the numbers in the box being set at zero until you change them).

Just out of interest, when you used Express did you use the single speed camera file for the UK?

I loaded the single file covering all speed limits so didn't use the speed option but set the distance to 0.5 mile.

Anyway it works now, good system isn't it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the same files as you but the Express Mode isn't suppossed to ask for distances etc - that's the point of the express mode. Not sure why yours sets it all to Zero though....
bunch92
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thk you are supposed to use the express mode, not the manual mode.

If you look at the CVS file, you will see that every single camera has a different speed limit (@30 , @60 , etc ...). If you use manual mode and set speed to lets say 30mph, every single camera will have a speed limit set at 30, which is wrong.

My advice is to reload the whole lot using express mode, and make sure the alert mode is ON in the GPS menu.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: