Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V9 update £45
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V9 update £45

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: V9 update £45 Reply with quote

V9 will not be a free upgrade even if you purchase a new Quest after the V9 release date.

I spoke to Garmin the other day after buying a new Q1 (with v6) with a view to registering it after V9 release. I was advised that if I waited for the V9 to come out I would still have to pay £45 for it.

I opted for the free V8 upgrade and will consider paying the extra £45 for the V9 if it takes my fancy.

So, if like me you are hanging on for the 9 instead of the 8, make a phone call to em just to confirm what i've just said.

Cya.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably already aware of the problem; I'm hoping that Garmin take pity and reduce the maptile size in v9 back to v7 sizes (v. unlikely though) as the bigger tile size in v8 on the Q1 is an issue if you're planning any major trips into Europe.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a shrewd move by Garmin. If the map tiles are back to V6 size a lot of people will fork out £45 they wouldn't have done. 8O
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the reason for the bigger maptiles in v8, maybe City Navigator products always had them? MetroGuide Europe v8 still has small tiles.

For sure I'd stump up £45 for v9 if they did reduce them back to the smaller size. Otherwise I'll be sticking with the free v8 upgrade I've recently installed.
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse my ignorance but do smaller tiles speed up the drawing and would that help a Q2 out of some of its problems
Des
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desd wrote:
excuse my ignorance but do smaller tiles speed up the drawing and would that help a Q2 out of some of its problems
Des

Not too sure about that Des but I think it's unlikely. After all my Quest1 with CN v8 doesn't suffer from a particularly slow redraw. I think it's down to the fact that the Quest2 uses CN v8 NT in which the mapping is compressed (Europe wouldn't fit onto the Quest un-compressed I'd wager), this relies on the hardware to do the un-compressing on the fly. I don't think the Quest2 has quite the processing grunt to do this suitably quickly along with the other tasks it has to perform. Not sure if it loads a whole map tile at one time, if so is this loaded in compressed or un-compressed state?

N.B. I haven't used a Quest2 so a lot of the above is assumption on my part.
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right makes me wonder if i should try and get a copy og the uncompresed version and just add the maps i need.
Anybody know if you can turn off the nt version and just use the normal version if you load it ???
Des
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you'd need to be running the Q1 firmware for that to work, not sure how you'd go about loading that and if you could do it successfully.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Q2 runs uncompressed CS7 maps without any special firmware. But (as I've tested it) since firmware 2.6 there is no big difference between CN8NT and CS7 performance on a Q2.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8s

It looks like V9 isn't far off the line anymore. If you check the Mapping information on the garmin.com page, the V8 update City Navigator Europe NT is gone. If you check on the general mapping page, there is no more City Navigator Europe NT map to get except just for "cards only".

Lets see what comes up next Question Did they "dump" the NT versions again, I mean, that can't be I think Rolling Eyes Confused Or are they just out of stock and the new one is not yet in 8)

Let's see....
BeatO
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me again.

Some more news, taken from the ukgser.com site, posted by Dutchman, it's been in the message about the Zumo 550 bundle.
Quote:
We've had no word from Garmin about this and it's not mentioned on their website....so this is what V9 is all about:

Full Detailed Coverage now includes Republic of Ireland, mainland Portugal, Poland & Spain.

Expanded coverage now covers many eastern European countries including: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, eastern Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia & southern Greece.

These countries only have major urban areas coverage at the moment.

Also in V9 is expanded address ranges for Belgium, 7.3million kms of roads & 1.3 million POI's.

BeatO
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Am i missing something. I bought mu nuvi 350 yesterdaqy and it had v8 version of europe map. if v9 version is out, am i not eligible for free upgrade?
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikash_sinha wrote:
Hi, Am i missing something. I bought mu nuvi 350 yesterdaqy and it had v8 version of europe map. if v9 version is out, am i not eligible for free upgrade?

City Nav v9 is not officially out yet, it's due for release in the new year. I've read here and elsewhere that if you've purchased (or more correctly registered) a new unit since September 1st 2006 (ISTR) you will qualify for a free upgrade when v9 is available.

Some new units are already shipping with CN v9.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8s

I've went through the registration for my Quest 2 which included V8 and did order the free update to V9. I now have to wait for the disk to go on.

Did anybody update his Quest 2 to V9 yet? Any pros/cons compared to the V8.

BeatO

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: