Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adjusting speed of "bongs" kicking in.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adjusting speed of "bongs" kicking in.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you`re welcome, I`ll find out how it works after as we are going out to llandudno for the day and there are a few cams in that area ( mind you, I think most of north wales is covered by them!! more cams than sheep these days Laughing )
I have only adjusted the 30mph ones , changed to 35.

Anyway will let you know how they behave in practice.

Regards...Dil

mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better to use CTRL+H instead of CTRL+F when tweeking the csv.files. It will save you more time.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again, had the trial run, now when I get the warning it shows up as 35mph and so I dont get the bongs now if I am under 35mph.

Now I have come home to an e-mail from garmin with the latest software update which apparently now doesnt give you a bong every second when over the limit, so now I might change back again and see how that one works out. God ! never ending is it.

Saw a chap in maplins looking for a spare holder for his new nuvi660, apparently they are slightly bigger than the normal nuvi ones, you`d think they would have used the same one.

Regards...dil

n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From a brief look in Halfords I think the mount is the same as the nuvi 310 etc. but the connection (the bit with the power supply socket that pops onto the ball on the mount) is different. This might be due to the unit being larger or the power supply being different? I agree, it does seem a strange decision!

Nick
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilcymro - Sorry for not getting back to you. Been working.... Hope you are all sorted now. If not, just say.

mars.1 -
Quote:
It would be better to use CTRL+H instead of CTRL+F when tweeking the csv.files. It will save you more time.
Laughing Didn't know you could do that to get straight to the Replace screen. Cheers.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys, probably wont have to use it now that garmin have changed the timing of the overspeed bongs, tried it out today and they are a lot better, every 5 / 6 seconds now when over the speed limit. So a great improvement on the previous every second warning that was there before.

Thanks again....Dil

BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find every five seconds is too great a gap, especially as I used Ash's Camera Manager utility to reduce the alert distance to 15 seconds - now I only get 3 warnings.

I agree a bong every second was over the top but the warnings did ensure that I slowed down to stop them. At one every 5 seconds the alert could easily be missed especially against road / background noise, radio etc... so I would like to see Garmin make the alert interval user definable
Amicus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: 35/36/37? Reply with quote

Yous guys might like to know I just paid a £60 fixed penalty and 3 points for being snapped at 36mph Sad
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yous guys might like to know I just paid a £60 fixed penalty and 3 points for being snapped at 36mph Sad

Thats why I set mine at 35mph so I didnt go over that, but now I have reverted back to 30mph as Garmin have re-set the bongs. Also you must bear in mind that not every 30mph area has a warning on it or near it ie: built up areas, so obviously you still have to take note of speed signs and warnings and drive accordingly and not rely on your gps to warn you every time.

Regards...Dil

porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but why is it not possible to do 30mph, I could do 30mph all day if I wanted, if someones up you arse then sod them its your licence. If your daft enough to do 35-37 through a speed camera then you deserve all you get.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your daft enough to do 35-37 through a speed camera then you deserve all you get.

The idea is or was, so you get a warning around 35mph so you dont go over the limit and yes I know that is still 5mph over . I dont take any notice of people up my arse either, its just sometimes not always possible to stick just on thirty. All we are trying to do is find the best way of using our devices to their full potential, some people have different ways of setting things up so by posting on here you get to find the best solutions to problems that people find. On another thread you will see that another poster has found we can use a different speedcam file on the nuvi which will show / alert you sooner.
Then there`s Ash10`s utility, to adjust settings yourself.

Also I was making the point that there are a lot of places without speedcams just 30mph warning signs, so you should never depend on your device all the time anyway.

Dil..

Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porky48 said,
[/quote]Sorry but why is it not possible to do 30mph, I could do 30mph all day if I wanted, if someones up you arse then sod them its your licence. If your daft enough to do 35-37 through a speed camera then you deserve all you get.
[quote]

Are you the same one as this one by any chance.

Quote:

Replies: 16
Views: 953
PostForum: Motorcycle GPS Users Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:19 pm Subject: I3 motorcycle mount
Cheeky, my bandit will do 150mph flat out, downhill with the wind behind it, thats fast enough for me.

Thought the speed limit was around 70mph.....something about throwing stones and glass houses springs to mind Laughing

Regards....Dil

porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yes that's me, what I was trying to get across was that if you want to do 30mph all you have to do is take you foot off the throttle never mind what other people wanted you to do. And I still say you're a daft if you speed through a speed camera, thank god bikes don't have front number plates.

I am certainly not advocating sticking to the speed limit on national speed limit roads, but in built up areas or around schools speed limits are a must.
littlescoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: premature bong Reply with quote

I have only had my garmin nuvi 360 for a couple of weeks but after downloading the speed cameras i seem to bong far too early-eg when approaching a 30mph zone i bong until i drop to 19mph, in a 70 mph it happens at 43mph. tried to find csv extensions in excel but to no avail. How do i download the software updates ( and which ones?) from the garmin site etc etcany help for a true novice would be most gratefully received

many thanks Confused
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the database again, but this time make sure you set the units for speed and distance in POILoader to mph and feet.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: