Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP 6915 - thinking of buying one -advice please for TT6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP 6915 - thinking of buying one -advice please for TT6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: HP 6915 - thinking of buying one -advice please for TT6 Reply with quote

Hi,

Am thinking of buying an HP Ipaq 6915. On the TomTom site it does not list it as being compatable with TT6??? Which I find strange, given that it is fairly new.

My Ipaq 5550 is not listed either, hence my need to upgrade to get TT6 (I run TT5 on the 5550, but my battery is dead and doesn't charge)

Can anyone advise on the 6915.

Thanks.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the tomtom website:
HP
HW6510, HW6515, iPAQ H4150, iPAQ H4350, iPAQ hw6910, iPAQ hw6915, iPAQ HX2190, iPAQ HX2490, iPAQ RX1950, iPAQ RZ1710

The correct designation for the device includes the HW.
Oh and to be doubly sure, a colleague of mine has one and it works just fine with the internal GPS unit.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you looking at the Navigator 6 package that includes the GPS unit? If so the reason it is shown as not compatible with the 65xx and 69xx series Ipaqs is due to the fact that they have internal GPS chips and so you should buy the software only pack.
Ian_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=237&Category=1&Lid=1 - the tomtom site can be confusing Laughing Out Loud - which page should I be looking on?

Thanks for the replies Smile
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=260&Category=2&Lid=1
Ian_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - been looking at the Loox T850 as well - hopefully they will support that soon Smile
nishv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many channel does the Built in GPS have? I have a 32 channel receiver for my XDA IIi which never let me down...
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a IPAQ 6910 (from Vodafone). It works flawlessly with TomTom6. The only thing you don't see is the choice of GPS receivers as the 6910/6915 have the same built in GPS receiver which is picked up by TomTom automatically. The receiver is an assisted GPS receiver.... it works very very well. Infact, I think it is very sensitive and very accurate. I think it's 12 channel, but hey you only need about 4 to get an accurate '3d' satellite fix. Overall, I get on average about 8 fixes... why do you need more? Are there 32 satellites in view at any one time????? doubt it very much.
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, you will need to update the assisted satelilite files every 2 days or so). No big deal, either do via GPRS or via WIFI. This helps so much with getting quick gps fixes..... amazing....

In addition, there are ways in which you can hack the registry so that you can force TomTom to use other receivers....
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, just buy the software bundle..... IPAQchoice has them. Go for the DVD bundle... best value for buck......
nishv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reason I am getting the HQ6915 is it had everything Built into it... Since I have only used a 32 Channel GPS Receiver I don't know how others will work.

I only get around 4 Satellites Average on it, and maximum of around 7...

Have you used a Bluetooth Headset with your HP 6910? TomTom6 seems to have a problem with it...

Thanks for your comment, I would probably order a 6910 by next week :D
nishv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nishv wrote:

Thanks for your comment, I would probably order a 6910 by next week :D

I mean 6915
nleaney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nishv wrote:

Have you used a Bluetooth Headset with your HP 6910? TomTom6 seems to have a problem with it...

I don't use a headset as such while using TT6 but I do use the BT carkit in my Ford Focus which as far as the 6915 is concerned is the same.

It works just fine...

What sort of issues have you heard about and what is your source?
rbhanot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian_W

I bought the 6915 when it was released and have been very pleased with the Tom Tom v5.210 software running on it.

It can be a bit slow in initially locating satellites when the application is run but someone earlier in the thread mentioned updating the location settings to speed up this process and I will be trying this.

The only gripes I have are

1. The updating of map files from CD - the answer to which can be found elsewhere on this website.

2. The fact that while Tom Tom is running, if you receive an incoming call and choose to answer it, Tom Tom declares there is no GPS device present and navigation is halted. This can be cured by exiting the Tom Tom application and re-starting the application after a few seconds. Let me know if any more of you have encountered this or have a solution.

All in all the 6915 is a very good PDA and although more portable will never be as good as having a seperate smartphone and navigation unit.

Raj
nishv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbhanot wrote:

2. The fact that while Tom Tom is running, if you receive an incoming call and choose to answer it, Tom Tom declares there is no GPS device present and navigation is halted. This can be cured by exiting the Tom Tom application and re-starting the application after a few seconds. Let me know if any more of you have encountered this or have a solution.
Raj

How are you answering your calls? Via a Bluetooth Headset? If not, try using a Bluetooth Headset...

It used to work on my XDA IIi running TomTom 5.21

I am still deciding on getting a 6915...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: